“A long wait, poor service and bad food”
Review of Cheddar's

Cheddar's
Ranked #6 of 460 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: American, Bar, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed September 2, 2012

When we arrived, we were told that it would be a 25-30 min wait. It ended up being closer to 45-50 mins. Our waitress informed us right away that she was new. It took a very long time to get our food and when we finally did get it, it was lukewarm at best. We had a beef roast with mashed potatoes and vegetables and there was very little meat. The mashed potatoes were kind of runny and the gravy was thin also. My husband ordered a cookie with ice cream for dessert and specifically requested no nuts on it. After waiting about 15 mins for it to come, it had nuts on it. We didn't have the patience to wait for a new one, so he scraped the nuts off. This was our first and probably last experience at a Cheddars.

There are newer reviews for Cheddar's

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Well I have been to Cheddars in other areas and liked it very much. Maybe it was because this was late lunch, not sure but was not nearly as impressed. First when we walked in two of the hostesses were on cell phones. Then they told us there would be 10 minute wait. Ok, but I can see 20 open tables, obviously not enough staff working. The service was average, as was the food...there are alot of other options in that area, I would try them.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I was very happy with the quantity and quality of food but most surprised at the very reasonable prices. The full rack of baby back ribs for $14 was a great deal.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

cheddar's review 7.19.12

Please note this is going to be a quick review, as my other cheddar's reviews generally cover this place well. Please check those out! ;-)

intro: long wait but worth it, this location has a different layout and system, it does not use the coasters that vibrate and blink, they call your name and party size on the intercom. the place was pretty loud though, however the nice decor made up for that. if the place was spartan and bare then the noise level would be intolerable.

order 1 (mine) chicken alfredo: was very good. made enough for me to have 2 meals so I had some for later for the hotel.

service: Very engaging and freindly waitress and she was very prompt and attentive as well.... extremely enthusiastic and you can tell she loved to work there.... I think her name was sherice.

overall 5 stars easy!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

My family recently dined at this location. The food was very good and came out in a reasonable amount of time. The portions are VERY large, particularly on the Chicken Tenders dishes (two people could easily dine on one). For the dishes we picked, we didn't wind up paying much more than we would at a typical fast food restaurant (cost about $8 per person). Service was just OK (had to wait for refills, garlic bread was missing, tried to give us the wrong food), but the staff was friendly and tried to correct things quickly when mentioned. It's likely more a product of having too many tables than "bad" staff. As noted, the place is busy. We went a litle after noon on a Saturday and must have got in at the right time and got a table for five. The tables were pretty much all full, and by 1:30 when we left, the line was out the door.