“Schlesinger's Just Made the "Do Not Eat At" List”

Schlesinger's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Schlesinger's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 460 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Loftis Blvd
Description: Serving dinner nightly, signature entrées include the kind of Prime Steaks found only in the finest steak and chophouses in the country. Other popular entrées include the Steak Schlesinger (our version of Steak Oscar), Lump Crab Cakes, a Tuna Mignon and South African Rock Lobster Tails. Schlesinger's also offers lunch Monday-Saturday 11-2:30pm and Sunday Brunch Buffet 11-2:30pm.Private Rooms for groups up to 40.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We took our boy there as a back to school treat and felt like we were robbed. Our food was bland and WAY over priced as were the cocktails. I ordered a 'Kobe' NY Strip that came out cold and tasted like an old tire. This place has went way down hill over the last couple of years. Amateurs in the kitchen and in the front of the house. I will never eat there again.

2  Thank karmaguy38
Lewis_Inc, Public Relations Manager at Schlesinger's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your post here on Trip Advisor. We read each review in an effort to seek opportunities to improve our business every day. I am so very sorry that your every expectation was not exceeded upon your visit with us. You may have noted the many fine comments here on Trip Advisor; and we sincerely regret that your was not among them.
If ever anything is amiss with an experience at Schlesinger's, we hope that our guests will let us know when they are here so we may take immediate action to correct any missteps. We never wish for a guest to leave feeling as you do.
I regret that I have only this venue by which to contact you. Please, if it is not too much trouble, might you send me an email with your contact information so that I might offer a more direct and appropriate apology? My email address is opus.jess@yahoo.com
Please reference code TA/8/20 in your reply so I will know to which post the email refers.
Thank you again for your time and I look forward to your reply.
Jessica Smith
Director of Sales & Marketing

There are newer reviews for Schlesinger's Steakhouse

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I asked for the best table and got it - In the corner by the fireplace (working, behind glass) out of the way of the regular restaurant 'traffic' and dimly lit. Excellent. The food was very good and I was impressed at how much care was taken to ensure our that order was to our liking, which included the use of a tiny flashlight, by the server, to assure us that our steak was cooked to our liking (med. well). The service was very good with the exception of getting the check. That took a little too long and we had to just sit and wait. It is what I call a 'Special Occasion Place' and a higher price is expected. Will I go again? Absolutely.

1  Thank Stormy T
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Family meal was $249 not including tip and was about $100 over priced. Sushi item is really good. French onion soup is good and the salmon. Steaks are over priced and not worth the price.

Lewis_Inc, Director of Sales at Schlesinger's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for your post here on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the remarks of our guests, as we use those comments to grow. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the French Onion Soup, the Salmon and the Sushi. I am sorry, however, to read that our steak was not a hit as well. We receive many fine comments on our steak every day, and I am sorry that this was not the case for you. If ever something does not delight you when you are here, do not hesitate to let us know immediately. We will happily and expediently offer you a dish you find more palatable. We never wish for a guest to leave feeling the way you do. We hope you will join us again at Schlesinger's and that we may have the opportunity to exceed your every expectation.
Jessica Smith
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Oh my gosh, My husband & I had so much fun Wed night , sitting on the patio in comfy chairs, drinking F wine, eating paella & listening to the Port Warwick Summer Concert. It was so much fun, relaxing, talking to good friends, & the food was excellent. You have to go on Wed nights & eat inside or out. The manager, Flo Ann, came up with this fun idea, from their sister restaurant , Opus 9. Then we topped it off with Bananas Foster dessert. Yummy!
They have the best steaks in town everyday & a wonderful Sunday Brunch .You must go!. All you out of towners, this is the first place you should go. Reservations are a guarantee, since they are so popular.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

It's place is fantastic. I went for my birthday, after catching a play, and again meeting with friends from out of town--all in the same month. But it's okay--because the quality of the dining experience is worth the repeat business. My first meal was my best; on my birthday I had the she crab soup and the ribeye, which was excellent. The next time I repeated the soup, but the temperature impacted the taste (adding the sherry cooled it too much). The third time? Well tried he French onion--wow! I was full so I took it home, and it was better the next day! The bottle of Riesling shared among friends was wonderful too. I tell you, it's the perfect special occasion spot, or romantic getaway, or whenever you simply want good food, done well.