“Late Night Smiling Faces”

Mulberry Inn and Plaza at Fort Eustis
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Woodstock, Virginia
“Late Night Smiling Faces”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

After traveling for four hours after working all day. Finally arrived at the hotel at 11pm hoping just for a smooth check-in, I got that plus two smiling faces. Room was basic but clean the sheets even smelt good, unusual for a motel that isn't a five star motel, which I can't afford. I travel about six to ten times in a year and normally looking for good three star motels, trust me it takes some effort, the Mulberry Inn fits this bill. If my daughter decides to attend Christopher Newport University we found our spot. And the breakfast was great plenty of selection bacon two types of sausage fruit eggs(two types) a lot of extras. Would highly recommend this motel for the cost conscious.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lookin4deal2014
MandyPhillips151, General Manager at Mulberry Inn and Plaza at Fort Eustis, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast, we are always making improvements and love to get feedback from our guests so that we can go that extra mile to make every guest comfortable. Thank you again and we hope to see you on your next trip through Newport News.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

One night stay while visiting relatives Thanksgiving weekend. The property is kept up. The rooms are basic but I didn't have any issues with any of it. It's about a mile down the road from plenty of restaurants and anything else you could need and has quick access to the interstate. The staff was friendly and helpful. Check in was fine except that they seem to be adjusting to a new system for their charge card terminal or something - no big deal. I didn't take advantage of the free breakfast buffet as I was having breakfast with family so I can't comment on that. I think the wifi was free. The TV is not a flat screen not that this matters to me. The bathroom is tiny but clean. The king size bed was comfortable. There was no noise outside - place was fairly unoccupied that night. I'd stay there again. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: They have rooms with a small kitchenette containing an electric stove, microwave, mini fridge, and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roadwarrior10069
My team and I appreciate the kind words you wrote. We hold our standards of cleanliness high at the Mulberry Inn and always appreciate our guests input. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review.
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We were in town for our son's NCAA DIII XC Regionals meet at Lee Hall Mansion. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was conveniently located near Newport News Park where we ran a couple of days. It was also very close to the XC Meet and some nice restaurants. We were very pleased with our stay.

Stayed November 2013
Fayetteville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was a real find for my husband & me. We had a difficult time finding a hotel room because of a huge Phish concert in the area. They had a room in the main building, were very welcoming and even recommended a great Italian resturant close by- a big help since it was late and we were clueless about the city. We will certainly stay here & recommend it to anyone. This is a family owned treasure.

• Stayed October 2013
Sutherland, Highland Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Took this whilst travelling with friends. Hadn't pre-booked, and for a very very reasonable price we got a room with 2 beds, excellent facilities, use of the pool (didn't use) and games facilities. Had complementary breakfast the next morning - make your won waffles and a large selection of breakfast items. Wouldn't hesitate to use again. Reception staff were very helpful - thanks for the restaurant suggestion in OBX!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

It was a busy weekend in the area and I struggled with this choice. The reviews I read were very uneven. I was greeted pleasantly and checked into a first floor room in a back building. I got one of the rooms with the strongly scented masking agent. I'm not sure if it was meant to mask smoke or mildew, but either might have been preferable. The room was nicely appointed except for the TV, which was decidedly old school. Later that evening when the shoes cam off, I started to notice things - the slight stickiness of the carpet, the wet spot from a large puddle associated with the refrigerator and the mysterious water on the bathroom floor. The other guests were on the noisy side, and my room was immediately adjacent to a steel stairway. On the positive side, breakfast was well done, staff was very friendly, parking was free and easy - as was the wifi. The hotel was a little off the beaten path, but not far from I64 or Ft. Eustis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the stairs. Tell them that you'll not stay in one of the heavily scent...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ace4444
Worcester UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is the second time we've stopped at the Mulberry Inn. The first time we were visiting Fort Eustis on business and we were made to feel very welcome - that time we stopped in Block B on one of the corridor rooms, it was a little noisy when people went past the door but the room was really comfortable, clean and roomy.
This time we were in D Block which is nearer the pool and the doors open to the parking lot.
We booked one of the Efficiency rooms which come with a 2 ring stove, microwave and small fridge, plenty enough to make yourself a hot lunch. Talking of food the breakfasts are good with plenty of choice including hot and cold options (amazing considering the price per night)
Other facilities include a movie room, games room with a pool table, an outdoor pool (better in the afternoon as it's unheated) a small but serviceable gym and a laundry room.
The staff are friendly and very welcoming - I can't reccomend this place highly enough!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicolaWhit
Loni C, Guest Relations Manager at Mulberry Inn and Plaza at Fort Eustis, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for staying with us at Mulberry Inn Newport News. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary breakfast! Thank you for your business and for your recommendation! We look forward to seeing you again soon in Newport News!