“Worse management”

Tuscany Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #27 of 465 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Turnbery Blvd
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Refused to honor our groupons and the manager actually stood at our table getting angry and repeating the same thing every time we asked why we had an email with us that groupon emailed us to say that our groupon WOULD BE HONORED. She was not interested in seeing the email we asked her to call groupon and she said she would and said it will take 15 minutes so we were going to have to wait she then returned to only say exactly the same thing it's their policy and found out she NEVER CALLED GROUPON I would suggest you stay away with groupons I got the impression they don't like having to deal with them

1  Thank virginiacooker

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am visiting her with friends and we stopped here from word of mouth that it has great food. When I first walked in, it seemed small but as we looked left, the restaurant was very decent sized. The service was perfect and the food was absolutely delicious. Highly recommended!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had eaten here about 2 years ago and remembered having very good food and service which was OK but not great. A friend who lives not far from the restaurant and goes there every few months suggested that we go back when I was in the Newport News area for a combination business/leisure trip, and I'm glad we did. We started with an appetizer of crostini, which proved to be extremely generous, with lots of cheese melted over crab meat on bread, and then enjoyed a basic salad of tomatoes and fresh mixed greens from a huge family style salad bow. I had a Flounder Livornese special, which featured a very generous portion of perfectly cooked flounder in a sauce of olive oil, butter(I think), white wine, capers, small slices of carrots, pitted Mediterranean olives, and herbs, served over a bed of linguine. My companion had a combination of three pasta based entrees. The house garlic knots came with both. The food was great, our service was attentive and knowledgeable, and prices are reasonable for what you get.

1  Thank Bruce RL
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just had dinner tonight at Tuscany. Restaurant was empty at 5:30. We were the only diners until about 6:30. First the positives: nice oldies background music, good mozz cheese sticks and marinara appetizer ($6.95). Now the negatives: despite being the only diners, the 4 servers standing at the counter made no attempt to take care of us. We were definitely made to feel like we were an interruption to their conversation and checking their electronic devices.Out waitress had real problems with English. Water was not refilled except after multiple requests. Took forever to get our food (probably 45 minutes). Salad was soaking wet and full of MSG. Garlic knots were tough and brown. My entree of ossobuco with risotto was awful. The veal was cold, fatty and swimming in grease. The risotto was steaming hot and bland...tasted like someone had just cooked a bag of minute rice and served it. My hubby got the pork chop oscar. Tasted foul and both dinners left a heavy feeling in our stomachs. Truthfully, we have already taken antacids and are hoping these dinners stay down. Meal without tip was over $53. Lousy food and bad service. Definitely would not recommend. There are many good Italian restaurants in Newport News (Al Frescco springs to mind). Skip this one!

2  Thank virginian9
Reviewed April 19, 2013

In a out of the way shopping center off Jefferson Blvd is Tuscany. This is a true gem of an Italian restaurant. When you pass through the doors, the decor literally takes you away to Tuscany. If that transition doesn't transport you to Italy, the food definitely will.
I was there having a business meeting. I ordered the Bolognaise ravioli and my client ordered the salmon Tuscan salad. The menu is very versatile. All the favorites are there.
The service was good and the surroundings are intimate enough for business or something romantic dinner. All this for an average cost of less than $9/ entrée.