“How it should be done.”
Review of 99 Main Restaurant - CLOSED

99 Main Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2014

With its superlative hosting, fine food & wine and cozy atmosphere, you'll feel like you're a Star when you are here. From the French Onion Soup to the Crisp Duck and Brussels to the Garlic Mussels in White Wine, 99 Main has shortage of ways to impress. Additionally, parking is convenient an reserved for the restaurant. Try the Bar area for a quiet, but very much social experience.

We sate mid-way in the restaurant and enjoyed the inside/outside ambiance ( the front wall of the restaurant is glass and it opens completely to expose the summer night. We were introduced the their own house wine "Six Grapes " and was immediately hooked.

Make sure that you stay for desert. I recommend Strawberry Almond Torte with Mascarpone cream, Butterscotch Crème Brulee or the peach cobbler.

You may want to order early in the meal, keeping in mind that some desserts are made to order - so time it perfectly, for the perfect evening meal.

2  Thank MaceandMo

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Recently my wife and I went here for the second time, along with another couple. The food is very good, and actually reasonably priced for what you are getting. I love lamb, and decided to try the lamb Bolognese and was not disappointed. My friend tried the veal shank and found it to be a bit tough and disappointing, but in the end we all cleaned our plates. Service can be a bit on the slow side, but overall they were attentive and tried to rush things along when we told them we had to get going as we had theater tickets.

I would recommend making reservations since it is a small restaurant with limited seating. Good food and good service that makes this a good place for a date night or if you are just looking for a nice place to try on the peninsula.

1  Thank Rick P
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had dinner at 99 Main on Oct. 19 and it was exceptional. There were 8 of us so plenty of variety to taste. I had the Fried Oyster salad and duck breast....both were flavorful and delicious. I'd go back for the oyster salad alone....it was so good and not like any thing I have had before. Our host had the French Onion soup to start and continued with the fresh fish of the day. I got to try the scallops and the rack of lamb as well....both were excellent. The portions are generous.
Our waitress was very nice and was sure that we had everything we needed. It was a very enjoyable evening all around.
Since I live in Norfolk, I think that Newports News is far away.....but in truth, it's a 20 minute ride, much shorter, and less of a hassle, than going to Va. Beach.
I look forward to my next visit to 99 Main

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband & I visited 99 Main Restaurant while visiting in Newport News, VA last weekend. The meal was wonderful. I had a salad with egg plant and spinach. It was delicious but way too large.
My main course steak/with oysters (fried) was all wonderful. My husband was equally impressed by his meal as well.

The restaurant is in the older part of Newport News. There weren't many people in the restaurant except two parties. They were kind of loud. The service was excellent and attentive.

I would recommend this restaurant since it was not one of the usual places you might visit.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have lived within a short distance of 99 Main for many years but have never given it a try. I have heard people say it has become dated or tired so I wasn't anxious to try it out. We went on a whim when we got an unexpected babysitter. We had a DELIGHTFUL dinner. Our waitress was charming and friendly. The suggested wine was lovely and fairly priced. We shared salads and appetizers and without being asked,the staff split them on separate plates and did so with a lovely presentation.

I tried the smoked rib-eye which I didnt really like, but I don't generally like rib-eye (not sure why I tried it). the flavor was great but I am more of a tenderloin fan. My husband ordered the trout and crabmeat dish. It was outstanding.

We will certainly return.