“Bustling but Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 99 Main Restaurant - CLOSED

99 Main Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Atlanta, Georgia
“Bustling but Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

To walk into a full restaurant at 8:00 pm in Newport news , VA in not what William Styron envisioned our humble blue color town to evolve into but the foodie menu advertised here does not disappoint . Nor does the darkened and subdued decor ; however , you must be patient to taste the fresh NC caught grouper in dill sauce with perfectly sautéed spinach and scallops as a surprise side. A gourmet meal especially the roasted oysters that smelled and tasted fabulous two of us shared as the appetizer. So make reservations early and try to avoid peak times because besides the waiting this place rocks!

Franklin, Virginia
“Neighborhood gem - I will return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

Over the past few months, I have been here with my wife, solo, and with another couple. The menu is very interesting and well priced. Service has been good. Small, cozy restaurant well worth repeating.

• Visited February 2012
Hampton, Virginia
“Consistent Quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

99 Main delivers a great dining experience in a comfortable atmosphere. We enjoyed the food immensely and the service was spot on.
The roast oysters "99" style were fabulous. My wife had the smoke ribeye steak which was cooked to perfection. I had the special, a flat iron steak with sauteed vegetables. Both were excellent.

• Visited November 2011
Virginia
“Wonderful Dinner with Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

What a delightful restaurant find in Newport News. My husband & I enjoyed dinner here twice in May with 2 different groups of friends. On both occasions our dining experience was excellent. The wait staff was attentive & helpful. Our groups ordered a variety of appetizers, entrees & desserts; all of which were delicious & beautifully presented. And Wednesday night is "Wine Night". All wines are $5/glass or 20% off the bottle...an excellent deal. 99 Main has a very nice wine list which is not overpriced, even at full price. My only small complaint the restaurant is divided into 2 sections in addition to the patio dining in nice weather. The dining area in the bar section is much to dark, almost depressingly so. But don't let this deter you & don't miss an opportunity to dine at 99 Main; you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank hotdoggirl
“A Little Stuffy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

While househunting in Newport News, we saw this little place. Went in on a Thursday. I was in expensive jeans and a top with high heels, my husband in khaki cargo shorts, tshirt, and untucked dress shirt. Ok, so we weren't exactly dressed up, but I am living out of a carry on. We also didn't look like vagrants. So I was a little surprised when we walked in and instead of "how many this evening," the hostess said ,"May I help you?" That was a first. Like I was going to ask for an application. Once we were seated though, the food was very nice. Started with a tepura fried brie and candied pecan salad which would have been inventive 15 years ago. But the special and my selection, broiled duckling with rosemary potatoes and spinach was really nice. Duck was a little salty in places and the spinach/potatoes bland but if you got it all in one bite with sauce, it was divine. Best cooked duck I have ever had! Derby cake was just ok. It sounded great with layers of different things and ganache but it came straight from the fridge and was a little dry and ganache was hard. So other than the snooty clientelle in the room we dined in (elitist foodies), and the snooty hostess (who obviously doesn't know people write stuff like this), we liked it a lot and yes, my husband owns a tie and I clean up nice so we will go again when we get a sitter. Oh, and people did have kids in there which threw me for a loop. Menu is not kid-friendly.

• Visited May 2011