“Everything That Glitters Isn't Gold”

Jameson Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Arrived tonight for two-night stay. Room reserved wasn't available. Arrived at door to room to find dirty towel outside door, entered room and was welcomed by dirty carpet, dirty tile and ice bucket. Comforter for rollaway bed had numerous holes. Asked for another room but none were available. There were some very rough looking ppl in lobby. Looks like an urban teen hangout.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed July 6, 2011

The staff was very accommodating, friendly, as nice. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Stayed at this hotel 06/23/11-06/26/2011 during the Jazz Festival Weekend in Hampton, Va. Found a bed bug in the shower on the floor. Saw a few red spots on the walls prior to finding the bug. Alerted management. They had someone go up to my room to look at the bug. The bug was picked up and put in a jar. I took a picture of it before it was placed in the jar. I was told that my room would be sprayed (after he went to Lowe's). I wanted so badly to leave this hotel, but with the festival this weekend ALL rooms are booked! I spent 4 hours going from Newport News to Virgina Beach trying to find something that was available in a decent hotel. Managment asked me where I had come from, and implied that I had brought the bug in, which I didn't appreciate. I don't have bed bugs in my home, and I flew here. Anyway they moved my room, gave me an employee discount for ONE NIGHT and apologized. I moved all of my bags into the new room's bathroom (bed bugs can't move around on the bathroom floor), put my computer up on a table with slippery wooden legs and will leave all the lights on tonight. I can't wait until morning so that I can get out of here. I've stayed at this hotel before during the jazz fest, and it's always been very clean, comfortable and the staff was great. I even checked the bed bug registry for this hotel before venturing here. After today, I will never stay here again!!! If a bed bug gets into your belongings, you will have to go to hell and back or take out a loan to get rid of them once you get home. I don't plan on sleeping tonight.

Room Tip: Call Their Local Health Dept To See If The Bugs...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kindlycoated
Sleep21, General Manager at Jameson Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Sorry about the experience that you had while staying with us. Just to confirm we had our Pest Control company come out and do a thorough expection for bed bugs. He performed a thorough and complete inspection of the entire room. This inspection involved the removal of wall outlet plates, removal of bed mattresses and bedding, headboard, couch pillows and mattress, dresser and side tables. He concluded that there was no infestation of bed bugs to be found anywhere in the room. Please let me know if you need anything further. If there is anything else more that we could do to please you please contact me directly, thank you and have a blessed day!

Reviewed June 4, 2011

We were very disappointed that our stay at Sleep Inn and Suites in Newport News, VA did not come close to meeting our expectations due, I believe, to poor management and staff training. We had the following problems, some more severe than others, but taken together they resulted in an unsatisfactory stay.

1. The TV in our room was not functional. Someone had tried to tape the cable together instead of putting on a new connector, so we couldn't get a picture. As luck would have it, this happened to be the only night during our two week trip that we wanted to watch TV since the final episode of a series we had been watching was on and we didn't want to miss it.

2. When I brought the TV problem to the attention of the desk clerk and asked permission to watch the show in another room (the hotel was probably 90% empty), I was told we would have to change rooms. We had already unpacked all our toiletries and accessories and set up our breathing machines and did not want to change rooms so late in the evening. I was told he could not do anything without authorization from the manager, who was not there.

3. We watched the show on the TV in the breakfast room, but the picture quality was poor because of poor adjustment of the satellite dish.

4. By the time the show was over, there had been a shift change. I realized that I had accidentally left my room key in the room and asked the new clerk for a replacement. She gave me a new key without asking for my name or identification, which I believe is a dangerous practice. Since she had never seen me before, she had no way of knowing if the key I requested was for my room. I could have gotten a key to any room in the hotel and used it to break in.

5. When my wife went to shower in the morning, there was no hot water. She was told she should have let the water run for 10 minutes to warm up. What a waste of a precious resource! As it was, she was in the shower almost that long and the water never got warm. How long should we expect to wait?

6. The continental breakfast was very spartan and unstaffed. We had to ask the desk clerk to fill up the orange juice.

I feel that this hotel has the potential to meet the 3 diamond AAA rating. It's relatively new and the rooms are comfortabhle, but having potential also means that they are not currently successful in meeting the needs of guests. It seems to me that better management and staff training could solve these problems, but until it is in place travelers will be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCH47
Sleep21, General Manager at Jameson Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you so much for your review; your views and experience are greatly appreciated. I apologized that you were not able to reach someone from our management staff. We do have an excellent team here at Sleep Inn and hopefully that showed in the friendly service you received. Our management staff is on the floor often so you will mostly run into us quicker on the floor than in our office; that's how we continue to strive to ensure everyone's stay is comfortable as well receiving superb service. Thank you again as we look forward to handling all your lodging needs in the future!

Reviewed May 30, 2011

my stay was very pleasant. and I was very satisfied. the front desk staff were so friendly and willing to do whatever they could to keep me satisfied. however I did have a little issue that I had been trying to take up with the general manager ( Mrs. ebony --) . I've been calling for a little over a month and always get the same responses. either she just stepped out, she's on a conference call or busy. I kinda find it a little hard to believe considering how long I've been calling for. a general manager should always be on top of things and to me it seems like the front desk employees do more. I will stay again because of how nice my last stay was but my opinion on the general manager situation will not change.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The staff were curteous and helpful. The amenities were just right. Pricing was very reasonable given the vast acommodations provided by this facility.

Room Tip: Requestin any top floor rear of building room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I chose this locate as I am a frequent traveler to the Hampton Rhoads area; and the location is near my school. The staff are always very friendly, extremely helpful, and for the price point, the ammenities are very nice. However, late nights, on the third floor is extremely loud and noisey. I can attest to the loudness of this floor, as I study late nights and early mornings and have consistently, for 4 months, occupied a room on this floor.

Room Tip: Yes, I have recommended this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business