“Good value for the money”

InTown Suites Newport News City Center
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Alabama
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I walked in with a coupon and found a clean, quiet, no-frills extended stay hotel with good service. There were families living there, which made me feel quite safe. And it is in an excellent area of town, close to shopping and businesses, and right across the street from the best restaurant in town! The bed was hard, but I slept well. I would stay there again. There is no pool and no night clerk, but it is good basic housing, and very clean and friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank CautiousLady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
East Coast, USA
Reviewed March 25, 2009

First the faults.

Arriving way past midnight on the night our reservation was to begin I was met with a locked door. The front desk closes at a certain time...even on a Friday night. There was an "emergency number" to call which went to voice mail on first call. 2nd call was the winner when I alerted the night watchmen that I wanted in. After contact was made I was in my room ten minutes later.

After that is was pretty basic.

My room had two beds, tv with cable and Showtime and a half kitchen. Which half? A full size clean fridge, microwave and a some dishes; spotless? no.

Parking lot was well lit and across the street is a full size groccery story...a Food Lion I believe.

The gym is not a gym. It is a room the size of a hotel single with a tread mill, one weight machine, a tv and maybe a exercise bike.

3 floors, one elevator with average speed.

Bring your own 'Do not disturb' sign' since that is not included. But housekeeping did stay away once we asked.

When the front desk was open they were polite and very good with giving directions to those lost on the highway. We weren't rushed for check out and for the hotel being almost sold out there it was mostly a quiet scene at the S. Suites.

Water pressure was fine and there was hot water-a-plenty in the shower. There was even a little table with two chairs.

Drive time from Hampton Coliseum? 12mins.

Very basic hotel, not hospital clean but never any gross out moments just dust on certain things. Heating & cooling was one of those standard near the window unit which was fine and the windows actually open

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Outer Banks, NC
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Absolutely the worst hotel stay I have ever had! Upon reading the reviews I can only be happy that at least our room appeared to be clean though we did not actually enter our room until well after midnight and never turned the lights on. But we did get ripped on our $102 charge for the room! What was noticable right off the bat without even touching it was that the bed was the most worn thing ever! It was bowed like a banana. When you laid on it you could feel all the holes and popped springs! In fact my 112 pound self sank completely to the box spring when I sat down. Not to mention the pillows were a joke! They were the thinnest things I have ever seen! Then when I went to use the bathroom the toilet was backed up! Unbelievable! I went to use the phone to call the front desk - it was just a plain phone! No "dial 1 for front desk", etc. When I dialed "0" I got an actual phone operator. So I got up, its almost 2 am mind you and went down to the front desk to complain and there was a metal wall pulled down over the front desk. I knocked - no answer! I saw that there was an after hours number on the front door so I called it - it was a security service! I slept not a wink due to the complete uncomfortableness of the bed despite my tiredness! I let my husband toss and turn until 645 am when I decided it was time to go! When we got downstairs there was still no one at the front desk. I would never stay here or recommend it to any one for any reason! STAY AWAY unless you like throwing your money down the drain. Ive stayed in better $40 a night hotels on the side of the highway! Forget management - the owners of this joke of hotel will be hearing from me! They are only lucky I couldnt reach them at 3 am with my ridiculous bed and broken toilet!

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — the beds. the sparse accomodations, the price, the broken toilet, the lack of night time mngmnt
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Newport News hotels

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed May 24, 2007

Our daughter told us about a hotel near her apartment near Christopehr Newport University. We drove up in the evening and book a room. Wehn we went to see it the floor in the kitchen area was sticky, so we asked for another room. We left our stuff and went to dinner. Whne it was time to go to sleep, we pulled back the sheets and their were hairs and stains in the bed. So, we aked for another room. Same thing. Ditto for number 3. It was after midnight so we stayed in a 4th room. The night manager helped us remake the bed there.

Do you think they offered us a refund when we complained the next morning? Nah!!!!

You are better off to sleep in your car.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank nova4traveler
Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Clean but very spartan (e.g., YMCA-feel to the place). Bring your own tissue and favorite soap/shampoo (we found already-opened shampoo in shower upon arrival). Although hotel is brand new, towels looked old. If you want another towel, you must exchange the wet one for the new. Make sure you get a room in rear; street noise level can be heard from interior. Weekend rates at $69 + tax were too high for this place.

Stayed April 2007