“Place could not be worse-be careful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of InTown Suites Newport News City Center

InTown Suites Newport News City Center
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Princeton, New Jersey
“Place could not be worse-be careful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Why can't I give a negative colored green circle. This place is worse than terrible. This is a Welfare Hotel - pure and simple. I'm sure welfare hotels are needed, but I don't want to go to one. Drove 8 hours with my 17 year old daughter to visit CNUniversity. It was late, we were tired and reviews did not seem too bad. There were people in robes outside the front door and in the tiny "loby". Woman behind the desk was very pleasant. They only had one non smoking room. Daughter voluteered. There were people in robes in the halls outside the rooms. Daughter spent 5 min in her room. She stunk of smoke. We went out to restaurant. She was crying and neither of us felt safe there. We went back and got our bags and checked into a very nice Hampton Inn just up the road. I cannot express how awful the experience was.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Deltaville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

There is a distinct funky smell to the room I stayed in, and the hotel in general. Room lighting is awful. The room itself was clean, but had a lot of wear and tear. Felt more like a dormitory than a hotel, with many longer term residents there, as it is an extended stay hotel. Taneesha at the front desk from helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank islandgirl59j
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Upon entering the hotel, we were hit by a bad smell. Maybe mold, maybe bug spray. One staff person interrupted our check-in process to ask the front desk clerk if she could borrow her car to get her kids who were with the police. Very unprofessional, I thought. Our room looked clean, but the beds were very lumpy and extremely uncomfortable. As we settled in for the night, all we could hear were people screaming up and down the halls as well as loud thumps from the people above us. The windows open, and a little girl was hanging out of the window in the room on top of ours. We even heard people screaming, "I need the vacuum" which made us think that these weren't rude guests, this was the housekeeping staff. So we packed up our things, left the hotel and stayed at the Hampton Inn down the street for only a few dollars more. We took the last room at Hampton Inn, so it was full, but we never heard a single sound all night long, enjoyed an amazing hot breakfast, and enjoyed a heavenly bed. Sorry Savannah Suites...never again. You have a lot to learn about hospitability.

Room Tip: Go find a Hampton Inn.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

this hotel advertises fast internet, but the reality is it is only fast during late night. the rest of the day is hit or miss. sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes to load one page. you can't watch movies or do any real work. called the technical support 3 times in 1 week. one time the internet was not even working at all.

they should not advertise what they do not have.

also there is no stove, even though again advertised as full kitchen.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I enjoy my stay, the staff were very nice people.The guest were a many different people. Remember everyone will not see everything the same,I believe in positive thinking anyone can be nev. Overall I enjoy my stay:)

• Stayed June 2012
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The fact that it has a kitchenette is great and everything worked well in it. The housekeeping is good, but not great. The hallways smell a bit moldy and the windows in the hallways are open during the day, I assume, to help combat the problem. However, the grounds, laundry, entryways and hallways are kept clean and well maintained. I noticed some trash under the refrigerator as well as some type of spillage on the side of the refrigerator. The desk clerk stated she would have housekeeping attend to it the following day. Housekeeping arrived to clean and after she finished cleaning she abruptly and in a nasty tone asked "was the cleaning good enough for me?" I was stunned and asked her to repeat her question. She then toned the question down and asked the question in a more polite way. The first room we were assigned had a huge cob web over the kitchen cabinet area. But the worst of all are the cockroaches. They have infestation problem. We saw infestation in three different rooms including the one we finally decided to stay with. It can be loud at times, but mostly quiet. If you do not make a complaint about the cleaning or mind purchasing some insecticide, it won't be the worst stay you may have ever had.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
bjohnsonSS, Guest Relations Manager at InTown Suites Newport News City Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thank you for your review of Savannah Suites Newport News. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. Guest reviews provide our hotels with the opportunity to improve our services for future guests. In January of 2012, Savannah Suites began using a new extermination company in an effort to improve our guest experience. We have been complaint-free in this regard from that point forward and we welcome you back the next time you are in Newport News, Virginia to experience first-hand how guest reviews have affected our service.
Swedesboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I stayed at Savannah Suites in November while on business. I was in town for 14 days and the hotel was going to be home for a a while. I wanted something nice but not expensive. I picked Savannah based on my co-workers recommendations and they were right. Check in was quick and the staff was quick and friendly. One thing I did notice is the cleanliness of the place. The location was great also. I was able to walk to everything that I needed (food, entertainment etc). The hotel was quiet and I was able to sleep with no problems. I stayed for a few weeks and the staff would address me by name, which I thought was very nice. Overall I would definitely recommend them.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
afarmerss, Public Relations Manager at InTown Suites Newport News City Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Thank you for your review of our Savannah Suites Newport News. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel to Hampton Roads.