“Nice Hotel, But Musty Odors at the Entrance”

Comfort Suites Airport
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
“Nice Hotel, But Musty Odors at the Entrance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here june 14th-15th. First of all the lady at the front desk was so helpful!! She helped us with all room requests. The room was clean and spacious. The wash towels are rough and hard, so you may want to pack some. We had a huge spider in our room, but I took care of it. All hotels have minor things so no sweat. Also, the front entrance has a strong musty smell. Still not enough to be a deal breaker. Breakfast was good to me, but not to my wife. Maybe because Im a Navy Man and I know what Chow is.. The price was great with the military discount. All in all I will stay here again!! I loved it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
JDavisTGO, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give a few words about our hotel. The smell at the entrance came from a mat that was rain soaked a couple of days prior. Once we discovered this it was promptly removed. Glad this wasn't a deal breaker! We look forward to seeing you again! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend stay and I was a little concerned bc it was much cheaper thank other hotels in the area. The room was very nice and clean. Staff was friendly and the breakfast was decent. We would def recommend or stay again. And they have a great military discount!!!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Beachfeets
JDavisTGO, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Good to know that we exceeded your expectations. We try to be as affordable as possible without affecting the overall quality. When it comes to the comfort of our guests we do not take short cuts.
Watertown, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed at the comfort suites when we were apartment hunting for our daughter. This hotel is located near near many restaurants and very close to the airport and a gorgeous golf course. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Definitely come back and see us again. We enjoy having you here as a guest.
Heber City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

My Husband and I stayed here for 1 week on business.The hotel and rooms where every clean.that weekend the hotel was a full with basketball player and their family's.The front desk agent found us a room for the night that night became a week.The breakfast was good they had hot waffles, eggs, sausage,hot coffee,oh yes make sure you say hi to Iris she will help you w/breakfast if you need it.one thing i did not like was the cost of the washer and dryer it cost me $4.00 a load.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful words. We strive for excellence in all aspects, so it's good to know that our work does not go unnoticed.
northern virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel was below average. The free breakfast had poor choices compared to other brands. I get the feeling the staff is trying and corporate is not giving them what they need. Entry door key card locks to the pool and to outdoors wouldn't work. They didn't have bagels or other basic breakfast items, though I did see one guy being given a bagel from the kitchen, so maybe they just hold the best stuff back. But my bigger problem was the $50 incidentals charge that was added to my bill when I checked my credit card balance when we got home, which I had not been informed about. I called the hotel and they said that they are adding that because of people who trash the hotel, and will reverse it when they know everything is OK. I don't want to have to watch my credit card to make sure they reverse it--I will stay elsewhere. I don't know why this hotel has so many positive reviews, but notice that for most of them it's their only review, so I urge you to take that into account. We've stayed at several other places in Newport News and they were all better.

3 Thank nova81
JDavisTGO, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
I apologize for what seemed like an unpleasant experience at our property. Our main mission is to service our guests to the best of our ability, which can be seen in our staff reviews. With that said I would also like to address the issues you have raised. We have an assortment of items available for breakfast that is comparable to any other continental offering: waffle makers, eggs, bacon, sausage, hard boiled eggs, cereals, bagels and bread. When breakfast is busy some items may go faster than others and need to be replenished. The $50 authorization for incidentals is printed on the registration card that each guest signs before checking-in. An additional authorization that is released upon checkout is standard among mid to upscale hotels.
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

This past weekend my familiy visited your facility! We were greeted promptly by the front desk Admin Staff( Dana) and immediately begin to feel right at home! Throughout the evening I observed Dana at the front desk answering the phones in a very professional way while meeting the demands for request for towels in the pool area and that's not all, he immediately came to mop up water near the elevator/ lobby area where my kids dripped coming from the pool. He maintained that professional attitude! We had a very peaceful sleep. The rooms were very CLEAN and COMFORTABLE. The following morning breakfast was wonderful. Mr Kevin was very helpful to me and my children throughout our stay. I HIGHLY recommend Comfort Suites Airport to anyone looking for affordable quality stay!
Mrs. Pitts

Room Tip: Ask for Dana!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
JDavisHGI, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your kind words! We try to maintain a friendly staff that can meet our guests' needs. I will make sure that Dana and Kevin are aware of your comments.
Snow Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Only stayed one night to catch an early flight. Left my sunglasses in the shuttle van and Dana was wonderful in trying to find them for me even after I had returned home!!! Very clean and comfortable rooms!!! Lobby was very inviting and cozy!!! Would most definitely stay in the future and recommend to anyone!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing us! I will definitely let Dana know that his efforts did not go unnoticed. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.