“Excellent stay at Best Western, Newport News, VA”

Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Phoenix, Arizona
“Excellent stay at Best Western, Newport News, VA”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Best Western in Newport News, Va in September of this year. The hotel has a great location, near to a large number of restaurants and shopping. The rooms were sparkling clean. The service provided was outstanding! We had a special need for our check out time and the staff went out of their way to accomodate us.
Excellent place to stay in Newport News at an excellent price!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank desert1032

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel for leisure or business. This is a great location, easy access to/from the airport, shopping and local activities.

I was looking for a hotel with a reasonable rate and in a specific location. There rate wasn’t the lowest, but based on the room type (mini suite), amenities (free breakfast) and location I booked the hotel. The best rate available required prepayment was non refundable. I needed five nights and was hesitant to lock into the rate because of the reviews. I confirmed three nights and ended up extending my stay the additional nights at this location with no hesitation.

The hotel staff was most accommodating, very friendly and definitely knew how to make guest feel welcome! Checking in/out was efficient and fast. Service was great in all aspects.

Rooms are big and very comfortable. They are a great size for a family. The only minor snag was an odor in the hallway (nothing a little air freshener couldn’t fix).

I would not hesitate to stay with them again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Shopgirl2009
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western for 1 night on our way to the Outer Banks. The front desk attendant was friendly and helpful, and the room was nicely decorated and clean. Our major problem, and it was a big one, was that the air conditioner was INCREDIBLY noisy. I have no idea if it is like that in every room, but I set it to 72 degrees, and made sure the mode was on AUTO, and not FAN ON... but the air conditioner stayed on continually the entire night, and I kid you not, it sounded almost like a freight train was going through the parking lot at 40mph. It was loud. Gladly, our 3 year old can sleep through just about anything and only woke up 1-2 times... My wife and I were kept awake by it for a long time, and then woken up by it several times from 4:30am on... we finally gave up at about 6:30am.

The breakfast was nice, not great. The breakfast area is definitely crowded, and everyone waits for the one waffle maker.

The exercise room was empty at 7:30am, and it is a small room with about 6 pieces of equipment (treadmill, 2 stair climbers, leg extension, leg curl, and multi-exercise lat-pull type machine).

We are heading back that way at the end of the week, but we will not consider staying there again - and are hesitant to stay and another Best Western, but probably will at some point as I am sure this is not a consistent problem at other locations.

My advice - If you stay at the Best Western in Newport News... Bring Earplugs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris779
Kjshah1217, Manager at Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Let me start by thanking you for completing Guest Survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7579521182.

Karan Shah
General manager
Lansing, North Carolina
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Jacobie was there to greet us upon our arrival. He was through, friendly and answered all my questions as well as provided information about the hotel. The rates were great and traveling with 2 teenage boys, the breakfast bar was "a must". The room itself was plenty spacious and clean, but the view from the hotel window was horribile. When we opened our curtains, all we saw was a 6 foot privacy fence. that was the worst part of the trip. I would definetly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Purcellville, Virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I usually do not stay in hotels such as Best Westerns (usually Hampton Inn's are the most casual I stay in) but there was a good deal going on so we gave it a try. This hotel was in a pretty good location and the staff were mostly friendly, but that was the extent of the good attributes of this hotel. The room was very dirty, from the floors, to the radiator, to the bathroom. The first sheet had a mark on it, so I put another sheet on top. The remote would not work, and could not be fixed, so we were given a new one, and the hallways were very dark, and the whole hotel had a musty smell. The couch and bed were not comfortable and rather dated. Based on this unfortunate experience I would not stay in this or any other Best Western again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank worldtravelgirl888
Arlington, VA
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My favorite of the 4 different hotels we've stayed at in Newport News. Very clean rooms. Spacious with the extra sofabed. Free wifi, refrigerator and microwave are plusses whenever we travel. Convenient to shopping and restaurants, and CNU. Staff was friendly and helpful, and granted our request for late check out. Despite being on first floor, the room was quiet. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Wings07
lynchburg, VA
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I Spend aprox 15k per year on hotels- i use them frequently. I'm always searching for bargins while balancing that with my needs. I have found it at this hotel. My main criticism would be that best western's vary greatly form hotel to hotel thanks.. ill be back to this VA location.
After checking in verylate, it was extremely important to have a late check out, not only was that request honored, it was extended way past the time I needed that's a firt for a mid level chain.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business