Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The rooms were very clean & very spacious. It's nice to be on vacation and have someone clean & make your bed. Breakfast was really good! Lot of variety. The fountain out front was relaxing when you just wanted to sit & take the scenery in. Overall, experience was Excellent!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is the second time in the last 2 years we have visited this hotel and was not disappointed. The room was clean and spacious. Facilities were good with a nice pool area. Good choice for breakfast. A lovely hotel.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Great staff! My daughter and I were there for a funeral. I had made the reservation for the wrong night and was charged a no show when I didn't show up the night before. At check-in the guest service representative was very gracious and said that since I had already paid for a night that she would use my no show charge for my room charge for the night I actually stayed. I know that she didn't have to do that, I made the mistake but, it had been a really long and sad day for me and that touch of kindness was bright spot in my day. All of the employees that I had contact with were friendly and pleasant. It made for a much nicer trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Have stayed here over 100 times with no negative situations. Excellent staff and a wonderfully run property, great location too. Solid choice of restaurants for a variety of taste. Oh, forgot the FREE breakfast is outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were looking for a place that included breakfast, a suite type room and outdoor pool. This was perfect.Staff was friendly and everything was clean. The location was near to places we wanted to visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We arrived at our room and the toilet was clogged. We stopped at the front desk on our way out and asked for it to be fixed. Came back from dinner and nothing had changed. Back to the front desk where I was given a plunger and told to do it myself. In a follow-up call with rude General Manager Karan Shah, he says that happens all the time. Special. The pool was closed 1 1/2 days while we were there (this is July). It was so green and murky it was hard to see the steps. Breakfast as others have mentioned, very weak. Run....... very far from this hotel.

1  Thank DeborahP7209
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Pros: Nice courteous front desk staff, location met our needs, walking distance to some nearby restaurants and department stores. A/C units worked well, kept rooms very cool.
Cons: Our executive suite, while large, was mostly useless space, not well thought out or appointed. In some places the carpet was coming up. The furniture looked like it was bought at a flea market. Cracked tiles in the bathroom, curved shower curtain rod kept drooping causing the curtain to separate from the wall allowing water to wet the floor (I finally got tired of holding it in place and just let it go).There was a hole in the wallboard which exposed the lumber framework. While there was a minuscule kitchenette (microwave and refrigerator) there was no sink or counter space to clean up or to place hot food onto. The breakfast room was small and if you got there late it was crowded and difficult to get to the serving areas. Breakfast, while advertised as "full", consisted of cardboard sausage and tasteless eggs, as well as the usual assortment of carbs (however, my favorite, English muffins, were not available). As the breakfast room employee could not speak English, I had to point out that there were no sausages (no great loss). Coffee: forget it. It comes out of a machine with buttons for creamer and sugar. Afterwards, for the duration of our stay, we went out to eat breakfast at some nearby eateries. Overall, when we return, I would not stay here again (our son is stationed at nearby Fort Eustis). For what we paid, I expected so much more. This place is just an overpriced Super 8. Compared to the Best Western Plus we stayed at the previous four nights in Columbia S.C. (highly recommend), this place is a dump.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay somewhere else.