“Amazing Staff”

Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Great staff! My daughter and I were there for a funeral. I had made the reservation for the wrong night and was charged a no show when I didn't show up the night before. At check-in the guest service representative was very gracious and said that since I had already paid for a night that she would use my no show charge for my room charge for the night I actually stayed. I know that she didn't have to do that, I made the mistake but, it had been a really long and sad day for me and that touch of kindness was bright spot in my day. All of the employees that I had contact with were friendly and pleasant. It made for a much nicer trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Have stayed here over 100 times with no negative situations. Excellent staff and a wonderfully run property, great location too. Solid choice of restaurants for a variety of taste. Oh, forgot the FREE breakfast is outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were looking for a place that included breakfast, a suite type room and outdoor pool. This was perfect.Staff was friendly and everything was clean. The location was near to places we wanted to visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We arrived at our room and the toilet was clogged. We stopped at the front desk on our way out and asked for it to be fixed. Came back from dinner and nothing had changed. Back to the front desk where I was given a plunger and told to do it myself. In a follow-up call with rude General Manager Karan Shah, he says that happens all the time. Special. The pool was closed 1 1/2 days while we were there (this is July). It was so green and murky it was hard to see the steps. Breakfast as others have mentioned, very weak. Run....... very far from this hotel.

1  Thank DeborahP7209
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Pros: Nice courteous front desk staff, location met our needs, walking distance to some nearby restaurants and department stores. A/C units worked well, kept rooms very cool.
Cons: Our executive suite, while large, was mostly useless space, not well thought out or appointed. In some places the carpet was coming up. The furniture looked like it was bought at a flea market. Cracked tiles in the bathroom, curved shower curtain rod kept drooping causing the curtain to separate from the wall allowing water to wet the floor (I finally got tired of holding it in place and just let it go).There was a hole in the wallboard which exposed the lumber framework. While there was a minuscule kitchenette (microwave and refrigerator) there was no sink or counter space to clean up or to place hot food onto. The breakfast room was small and if you got there late it was crowded and difficult to get to the serving areas. Breakfast, while advertised as "full", consisted of cardboard sausage and tasteless eggs, as well as the usual assortment of carbs (however, my favorite, English muffins, were not available). As the breakfast room employee could not speak English, I had to point out that there were no sausages (no great loss). Coffee: forget it. It comes out of a machine with buttons for creamer and sugar. Afterwards, for the duration of our stay, we went out to eat breakfast at some nearby eateries. Overall, when we return, I would not stay here again (our son is stationed at nearby Fort Eustis). For what we paid, I expected so much more. This place is just an overpriced Super 8. Compared to the Best Western Plus we stayed at the previous four nights in Columbia S.C. (highly recommend), this place is a dump.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay somewhere else.
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Pros: Clean, spacious room with separate seating area. Good location.

Cons:

Pool not properly maintained (was a murky, milky greenish color). Were told there was algae growing & pool needed vacuuming out. The next day it looked only slightly better and we weren't comfortable swimming in it, much to our children's disappointment. Never saw anyone using the pool during our 4 day (July) stay when we checked on the pool. Did see a family with children, all wearing dry swim suits, leaving the pool area with upset children complaining about the pool's condition.

Issues with bathroom: The shower's plumbing in our room & the room above us sounded like a jackhammer - very loud, constant banging sound when in use. Cracked ceramic tiles on the bathroom floor. Too small shower curtain which caused water to spray onto bathroom floor, making it slippery.

Breakfast: Was mostly all carbs (cereal, waffles, Danish, muffins, bread), except for frozen, microwaved sausage patties & frozen, microwaved egg patties). Both the sausage & egg patties were barely warm, thus unappetizing. The breakfast room was too small & uncomfortably crowded with insufficient seating. When I tried to notify a breakfast employee that an item needed replenishing, I found that he didn't speak English and thus I was unable to communicate with him. I feel that any staff who comes in contact with guests should be able to communicate with them. A Cracker Barrel is just one stoplight over, so we chose to eat some of our breakfasts there.

Air Conditioning Units: Didn't work properly. There were signs indicating that the units could only be controlled by the thermostats, not the knobs on the units. The seating area was hot while the bedroom area was cold. The thermostat in the seating area didn't seem to work when we adjusted it, and the thermostat keypad in the bedroom area didn't have any readings on it (seemed to be broken or unconnected). We notified the Front Desk and were told they'd look into it. Seemed somewhat better but rooms were alternately either too warm & humid or too cold, never just right.

Front Desk Short-staffed or Unattended: We saw a family at the front desk trying to check in, but the front desk wasn't staffed and they were complaining. When we went up to our room on the 2nd floor, we saw the front desk clerk up there with an armload of linens while the front desk was unattended. Another time, our toddler locked us out of our bathroom. When we called the front desk to get someone to bring a key, the front desk clerk let out a long, inappropriate sigh of disgust, said she was all alone & didn't know when she should assist us & told us to use a coat hanger. (We tried, it didn't work.) We needed our showers before checking out. Fortunately, somehow we were able to coax it open on our own. (The clerk did show up shortly thereafter). Another time as we were passing through the front desk area, we heard the phone ringing off the hook, unanswered, with no clerk in sight. There should be at least 2 clerks on the front desk at all times.

Front Desk Staff Rude: At check-in, the clerk was a bit snippy and did not leave the best first impression. This combined with the long, inappropriate sigh of disgust (see above), showed a lack of professionalism. Our checkout clerk, however, was professional & friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel was generally a nice hotel to stay in. Our room was the last non-smoking room and the smell was detectable from pour room. The room itself was clean and the kids loved the swimming pool and hot tub. The complementary breakfast was great though the only drawback was the sitting area was rather small and people had to wait turns or take food back to their rooms. Also the in the exercise room, the weights machine was not working. The staff were nice and friendly. None-the -less we would come back here any time.

Room Tip: For non smokers, the rooms towards the front of the hotel does not smell smoke as much.
Thank tonnygatch .