“Not perfect but very good”

Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly staff. Our room was on the first floor which was also nice.The room was nice,however I did notice a few small things missing. The bed was o.k. although the mattress seemed a little old. The second night we were there the thermostat quit working. Jerry came and checked it and decided to move us to a different room. Over all a very good stay. If we go back to the area we will probably stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family and I visit this property to attend the Homecoming in Hampton Virginia (15 mins away). I booked this hotel due to the rating on TripAdvisor. This hotel was easy to find off the highway and located in a safe quiet area. The lobby area was clean and the staff for the most part was very inviting. The lady Marla and the gentleman checking us in was very polite and profession. I can't say the same for the lady there on Sunday morning. I decided to not even check out at the desk due to her noticeable attitude. The room we had was on the first floor. This room was spacious and clean. I was surprise at the size of the bathroom as it was very spacious. The second room my family had was spacious and clean as well with a smaller bathroom. You could tell when getting off the elevator on their floor (third) it had smoking rooms. The housekeeping staff was very polite when in the hallways. On Sunday morning we did partake in the complimentary breakfast. It was very night to start the day with hot foods. It was appetizing and my family had no complaints. I would recommend this property, and I can say my family and I will use the property for our trips to the area when we go visit our student at Hampton University.

Room Tip: First floor is quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We booked this hotel despite reading some of the negative reviews. Generally we have always had good luck with Best Western hotels and this was no exception.

Clean large lobby, friendly staff at check in. We booked a king size room - it was very large and spacious. Room had a couch, chair, desk, large flat screen television along with a fridge and microwave. It was definitely worth the value we paid for the room.The bed was very comfortable and pillows were nice and fluffy.

Continental breakfast was included and the breakfast area was very clean, Had your average selection of cereals, pastries, waffles, eggs, fruit, yogurt, sausage and juices to start the day.

The only minor complaint I would have are that the hallways and elevator are a bit musty but I attribute that to the humidity in the area. As well, the carpets in the room are a bit worn but its nothing serious.

The hotel is located around a lot of restaurants and shopping. Stayed here for three nights - great location, good value and we would consider staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Got stuck in Virginia so I picked this hotel best thing I have done in a long time great people great service great breakfast. Needed clothes as I had nothing packed , Walmart, target,sears Dillard's are close by and an indoor mall. I need to eat to many restaurants to list. If you can stay here.
Some times these reviews are done by employees I'm not there employee. Love this place.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

looks great from the outside but once you enter it turns into a complete nightmare. From the staff to the leaking ceiling and broken toilets etc.. Rude employees with no leadership. Front desk left multiple time. Front desk crew sitting in front of the hotel smoking and joking around when there's a line forming at there desk. No one addressed any of our concerns to our satisfaction. The best day in the hotel was check out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel was nice. It looked brand new, was clean and comfortable, the check-in attendant was uber friendly, the location was great, and the value was awesome.

This was my third time visiting Newport News. The other two times I stayed at the Residence Inn Airport location. The Residence Inn is nice, but they were a little on the high side of what I was trying to spend this trip. I'm all about paying beer-money prices for some champagne. After my stay at the Best Western this time, I would absolutely recommend staying at this BW instead of the RI, to save yourself $30 for the same perks.

First of all, I MUST say the check-in attendant was SOOO nice. He was friendly and conversational. He used lots of pleasantries and just seemed genuinely happy to be there. He asked me a few questions to see if I qualified for any discounts on the room (which I thought was nice since most hotels want to charge you as much as possible for walk-in bookings). I stayed in a "1 King Bed" room.

I was surprised by how nice this room was for the low price. The entire room was very clean, comfortable, and roomy. There was a large sized TV in the room... I'm guessing 40". The air/heat was "wall controlled" but it still had the "under-the-window" setup. There is a microwave, fridge, and one-cup coffee maker in the room. The fridge was a little on the noisy side at night because it hums loudly (I think this is the noise one of the other reviewers may have been referring to). But it's kind of like living near a train or with children: after a few minutes of it, you learn to tune it out.

The bed was clean, plush, and comforting. It had an abundance of pillows and they were great. The sheets, comforter, pillows AND mattress were all very clean (I'm one of those paranoid people who checks all that kind of stuff). There was a plethora of lamps so you could set the lighting to your liking. Lots of sitting and working space. And I would definitely like to note the recycle bin next to the trash can in the room because I'm a recycler and I love to see hotels do that now-a-days.

The bathroom was set up where the shower and toilet were in a closed off room but the sink was inside the room itself. I'm sure this was designed purposely to let ppl wash their hands and whatnot while others take a shower/use the bathroom, so this was nice. BUT for my OCD, nit-picky people, there was a small "hole" in the bathroom where the showerhead meets the wall. There were also some noticeable stains in the shower around the grab-bar and the wall. I'm going to say the stains were rust and definitely not mildew or dirt (see pics)... but they were large and pronounced none-the-less and probably could've been cleaned easily with some CLR if someone had tried. Outside of these two spots, the rest of the room was extremely clean and well kept. The water pressure was lovely. I didn't mess with the showerhead but I don't think it was one of those adjustable-water-style types (for those who want to know that sort of thing).

There is a fitness room, pool (outdoor), business center, free in-room WiFi and internet, and the staff will even provide you an Ethernet cable if you want to hard-wire in. They have free breakfast with a decent selection (eggs, sausage, cereal, bagels, yogurt, oatmeal, waffles, etc.). My room was close to the ice machine, soda machine, and elevator. Surprisingly I didn't hear as much noise at night as I did during the day when it sounded like the ice machine was self-cleaning itself. And to segue to the elevators... they smelled. It smelled like something wet and sour (old mop water??) was in the elevator carpet that needed to be cleaned up. I'm sure this smell was temporary and something that could be eliminated with a good steam cleaning, but it was noticeable and there both days.

The location was great. It was close to everything. All kinds of shopping and restaurants within walking distance (IIIII didn't walk because I'm too lazy for that... but for those of you into that sort of thing, there are things extremely close by for you to walk to.) My window view was nice because I could see some plush grass/trees. All around the hotel looks new, inside and out, and the area is a very nice, quiet area during the day and evening despite being in what seemed like the middle of the city.

If you are trying to decide on a place in Newport News, I would recommend a stay here. I took a few pics. Hope this review helps you. :-)

Room Tip: Book online. You can almost always save $10 off the regular walk-in rate by going to Best Western...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2013

front desk who just came on shift gave me a room. When entering the room there were people already there smoking in a non smoking room, frontdesk gave me another room but I had to put up with a humming sound every 5 minutes. It was not the ice machine because I was 4 rooms away. Good part was location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo