“Very Nice Motel”

Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Arlington, Virginia
“Very Nice Motel”
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We booked two rooms for the SailVirginia2007/Harborfest celebrations in Norfolk June 9. While the location is a little distant from the Norfolk waterfront we were all very satisfied with this Marriott. The motel itself is still quite new and located next to a spacious complex of other new structures composed of shopping venues and restaurants. This all made the motel feel quite safe, upscale and a good choice overall. The rooms were well furnished and even included a large screen LCD TV. Based on reviews I read Norfolk has more than its share of run-down establishments. However, due to the traffic encountered on Saturday afternoon going across the tunnel between Newport News and Norfolk, I would probably explore staying at the Marriott in downtown Norfolk before returning to the Newport News Marriott.

• Liked — Very New, Well Decorated Throughout
  • Disliked — Lack of Free Wireless Internet
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank CasualView

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Virginia
Reviewed June 10, 2007

Stayed at the hotel recently on a fishing trip to VA beach. It's a 30 min drive to the beach and whereas the VA beach ocean front motels were going for over $100, the Marriott @ Oyster Point/Newport News was only $89 plus tax for a Friday night stay. Received great service; the location was excellent. It is located in an upscale area with lots of shops (JOS banks, Chicos etc) and dining. The flat screen TV in the room was a delightful treat. We had a room that overlooked the lake and it was the icing on the cake. Would recommend this place if you plan a trip to the Williamsburg/VA beach area.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank LIttleHoo
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We had planned to spend the Memorial Day weekend at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, but had difficulty finding four available rooms at the hotels near Busch Gardens or in Williamsburg. A friend suggested that I try the Marriott in Newport News and all I can say is that I owe my friend a huge one for pointing us in this direction. The hotel is only 15 minutes from the park and situated in the re-vamped city center, fronting a huge lake with fountains. The hotel is brand new, rooms are immaculate, the beds are very comfortable, staff was outstanding, and the breakfast buffet was great. We were in room 636 overlooking the lake and enjoyed our stay. We will definitely be back in the Fall during our next trip to Busch Gardnes.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Juneyt C
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 10, 2007

I used the New Newport News Marriott for a quick weekend getaway and was very satisfied with my stay. It's centrally located without being right against major roadways and the immediate area around the hotel seems to be adding retail and restaurants by the handful.

Although the hotel has valet parking, there was nobody to greet me upon my initial arrival at the front door. And in fact it wasn't even offered to me at check in. I didn't see anyone standing around the door area who could have been a valet. I would think 5:15pm on a Friday would be prime time for those guys. There was a very young guy in a bellman's uniform who never looked up from his desk anytime I crossed the lobby. I didn't need luggage assistance, it wasn't offered to me either.

Parking is in a deck adjacent to the hotel building. On the second level of the deck there was a door that seemed to indicate I could get to my guest room that way. Another guest followed me through the door and we set out on what was an adventure around corners, down hallways, and down a very slow elevator, through the rotunda.... to find the lobby and access to our rooms. I would recommend going down to the first floor of the deck and walking along the outside of the building and entering that way. It will save you much walking.

My room (910) was at the end of the hallway with a few of the lake and fountains and the new city center beyond. The room is outfitted very nicely with a flat panel TV, the latest in Marriot bedding, and all the latest you would expect. It did take some fiddling with the computer to find the wireless signal but maybe that was due to being on the end of the building.

There is a bar and a restaurant facing each other at the far end of the main hotel lobby. The bar is on the smallish side, but seemed more than adaquate. The staff was very friendly and helpful, they had an above average selection of beers (including on tap) and a long wine list of selections available by the glass. Since all Marriotts are now all non-smoking I ate dinner at the bar without worry someone would sit down beside me and ruin my dinner. They have a separate bar menu, but i ended up eating off the restaurant menu in the bar. The food was well prepared and presented.

I would definitely return to this property and recomend it to others over the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank ajva
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 12, 2007

We stayed here for two nights in March of 2007, we got an insanely cheap rate of $89 per night through the Mariner's museum opening weekend of the USS Monitor Center.

The hotel was fantastic, great location, great service, wonderful large room with a nice view of the fountains and very comfortable beds. Parking was plentiful in the free garage next door. Wireless Internet was available as well.

We didn't use the restaurants or facilities, the pool looked nice but small and there was a jacuzzi as well. It did look like most of the other guests were there for conventions. We did order once from room service - the Shecrab soup is fantastic.

About the only complaint was that the refrigerator didn't work, but that was it.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank ibeplato
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed March 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night (Feb 26, 07). We booked directly through the hotel's website so that we could get the military rate. There is nothing bad that I could say about the hotel. From the staff to the rooms everything was wonderful. The fact that you could chose between parking on your own (for $2 a night) or having vallet was great because we have stayed in some hotels where no choice was given. Also, for being Marriott rewards members we recieve a choice of one free night of internet or a complimentary coffee from the starbucks they have in the hotel. We would stay there again!

• Liked — Military Friendly
  • Disliked — Hotel View
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MzCole
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed February 22, 2007

We are in the process of relocating to the Newport News area and my husband booked this trip through his work. We stayed a week and a half. I was VERY pleased with our experience. The staff was unbelievably friendly and we were always greeted with smiles. Everyone was eager to help as I have a 2 yr old! The room was really nice with plasma tv, etc. Housekeeping did an excellent job and went above and beyond what standard hotels do in regards to service and clean up. The indoor pool was nice and warm and my son loved it! The location is very convenient to grocery, shopping, etc. Once again, the service at this hotel was amazing and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Enjoy your stay!

• Liked — Wonderful service
  • Disliked — Internet usage was pricey
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank AmyinLasVegas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport News
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
The Founders Inn and Spa
The Founders Inn and Spa
#11 of 109 in Virginia Beach

Been to Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center? Share your experiences!