“The Place for Business in Hampton Roads!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Newport News Marriott at City Center

Newport News Marriott at City Center
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Florida
“The Place for Business in Hampton Roads!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2006

The Newport News City Centre Marriott at Oyster Point is a fabulous brand new hotel! It even comes complete with a rotunda! The indoor pool, spa and fitness center are extremely clean (better than the competing Omni Hotel). Like the other review I must saw the pricing for Food and Beverage is out rageous but with a name for the restaurant like Rockefeller's, what would you expect? The internet really should be included in the rate but that is a corporate policy, many of the other area business hotels do have high speed internet, but we found free coffee in our room. I strongly suggest that visitors pursue other locations for restaurants like:

Cheeseburger in Paradise, Light Restaurant across the way at Port Warwick, or if you like Thai and Sushi Thaijndesu Thai and Sushi.

• Liked — This is a great venue for business meetings in Newport News and the surrounding Hampton Roads area
  • Disliked — Parking and Food and Beverage Costs
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat out at Port Warwick, great food at lower prices!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HotelProcurement

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Winston-Salem, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2006

The hotel was fairly new and very nice and clean. The staff tried very hard to please. But we felt like they were trying to drain us of all of our money. With the cost of the room, the breakfast was not included and four of us went to breakfast together and the bill was over $60.00. They charged us for parking each night, even though space was not at a premium. They had a large garage out in a field, so parking was not an issue for them. They also wanted $3.50 for a cup of coffee the morning we came down to the lobby just to wait for our group. We brought our laptop only to find out they charged $9.99 a day to use internet. I feel like many of these amenities should be included for the price of the room, which was not cheap.

Stayed September 2006
6 Thank Becky2
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

This hotel is new and very nice. Bedding is above average. I was surprised that they charge $9.95 daily for wireless Internet access.

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott Newport News at City Center June 23 - 25, 2006. First let me say that this is a beautiful hotel located in a newly developed area of Newport News near shopping restaurants, etc. However, the hotel is new and had only been open one week prior to my arrival. I experienced several probelms which I will contribute to "growing pains" of a new hotel. First, when I checked into my room the bath tub was filthy. The hotel staff came up to clean it right away and stated that it was a result of the construction, but it appeared to be soap scum to me. Second, I discovered my bill was overbilled by almost 50%. When I inquired at the front desk they advised a discount certificate (Marriott Gold Elite) for a second night free was overlooked and my breakfast included in my room rate was overlooked by the restaurant as well. Third, while sitting in my room Saturday night someone attempted to come into my room with a key. The double lock on the door prevented them from entering and when I went to the door a woman was there and advised me she had just "checked in" and was given the room also. The last incident occurred when I was at breakfast Sunday morning and after waiting quite some time for service the server showed up and attempted serve me coffee and spilled it all over the booth where I was sitting. Accidents happen. However, until the time that I finished and left the restaurant, it was never cleaned up. I had to gingerly get out of the booth and step over the mess.

Again, this hotel is beautiful. The staff was cordial and accommodating and apologized for all of their shortcomings. I attend an annual jazz festival in the area every year and will definitely try this hotel again next year. I hope they recognize work that needs to be done at the Marriott Newport News and rise to the occasion as a premier Marriott property.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport News
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
The Founders Inn and Spa
The Founders Inn and Spa
#10 of 109 in Virginia Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,053 reviews

Been to Newport News Marriott at City Center? Share your experiences!