“Luxury hotel, great location, ok service”

Marriott Hotel Newport News at City Center
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have stayed here a total of 3 nights on 2 separate trips. The rooms are nice and the beds are so so comfortable. I love that the AC has a setting to increase or decrease the AC fan because I like to feel a little more air flow (comes from sleeping with a fan on at home I guess). Breakfast is ok but a little overpriced for a buffet. The employees are very nice but service could be improved upon (difficulty finding front-desk staff in middle of day. No one answered extension for room service even after many many tries from 6-7pm one night). Still, despite these little hiccups, it really is a very nice hotel and reasonable price. Absolutely no complaints about the room. And the parking is not difficult like some other reviewers have noted. If you take parking garage elevators to 1st floor, walk outside for 20 feet, then into front door of hotel, the main elevators are right there. The front desk staff said that if I took parking garage elevators to 2nd floor and entered hotel from there, those elevators did not connect to the guest room elevators. They gave me directions and a map if I wanted to go that way, but I chose the easier way and just came in the front door. Great food options within walking distance, and breakfast at the coffee shop around the corner is better and cheaper than breakfast at the hotel. Sounds like I'm complaining but I'm not. It's nice to have options. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank frostypoe

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Had a quick overnight in the Hampton area while visiting CNU and could not be happier with our choice for hotels. The Newport News Marriott is top of the line. The staff were all friendly and attentive. The room was spotless, and the beds are unbelievable comfortable. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast before heading out. The location is ideal with shopping and restaurants all within walking distance. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Although the hotel appeared to be full, it was very quiet in our room. I can't imagine that the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank pattycar
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel was the right choice for our family. Check in was easy -- they helped us get in our room early as we were headed to a track meet. Rooms were very nice . Shower very clean as was the whole room and bathroom. Comfortable beds, quiet place...if we were coming for a convention I would love this location. Teens enjoyed pool and workout facilities.

Room Tip: we had a double and king room - both spacious
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank pam12pam
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Let's face it, it's a Marriott and it is most things we've come to expect! Over the top friendly and helpful staff, exceptionally clean hotel with a decent-sized and well equipped exercise room and an indoor pool and whirlpool. I was disappointed that, 1) Hotel parking is $6 per day ($12 for valet parking) and the free parking is a block away; and, 2) Unless you are a Gold or above Rewards partner, internet access is $6.95 per day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank phil753
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed at the Marriott this weekend for Valentines weekend getaway and I want to go back already. From the time I made reservations until I left the entire experience was beyond expectations. When I called the hotel for reservations the manager Maggie was very helpful in recommending restaurants and a movie theatre nearby. Also when I checked in she provided my boyfriend and I with printed directions to the movie theaters and a map of the city center area. The entire staff was friendly which made our stay very warming and comfortable. I admired the cleanliness and quietness of the entire hotel and our room. When I called for room service breakfast the front desk receptionist had a very energetic personality, our food arrived in a timely manner, and most importantly it was delicious. I recommend the Marriott at City Center for anyone looking for a romantic getaway, family/friend stay, private alone time, or for any occasion when looking for a home away from home with the BEST hotel staff in the Hampton/Newport News area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kim9656
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

We hosted our sales meeting for 200 people at this hotel in January and utilized all services: conference center, catering, sleeping rooms, surrounding restaurants.

The staff was accommodating and friendly. They almost melt into the backgoung when you don't need them, but magically appear with a smile on their face when you do.

The hotel has an app that your meeting leads can get any help they need AV, facilities, etc

Food was good, a bit slow at times, but tasty. Rooms were very comfortable and quiet.

Surrounding restaurants and ships are convenient and descent. It's a nice option when you want to get away from the meeting site itself.

Really enjoyed the venue. Would recommend for business travel or meetings.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank CRSabol
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed at the Marriott for a week to attend a training class (which was held at the hotel) and loved this hotel, the staff is friendly and helpful, the property is clean and fairly close to eating establishments. The only negative comment I have is that the Wi-Fi is not complimentary and costs $6.95 a day + tax.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business