“great service good hotel”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Ayden, North Carolina
“great service good hotel”
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Just returning from a 5 day vacation in Hampton Roads Country Inn and Suites hotel was centrally located between Williamsburg and Hampton. The King suite we had was rooming and on the first floor and quite for the most part until the weekend, we could hear walking above, so the walls are kind of thin. Breakfast was marginal nothing great but the service was great about keeping up the large breakfast crowd. The morning front desk manager Mone' was wonderful!!!! very helpful with directions and questions . Housekeeping was great , rooms always clean when we return from our activities for the day and had a great smell.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
CISNNDOS, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your patronage and hope to host your stay again when you return to Hampton Roads, Virginia. If you have any further questions or interest in rebooking feel free to call me.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lawson, Missouri
Reviewed August 5, 2010

The room has a programable thermostat that was set to a 3 to 4 degree spread. That is if you set the temp to 74 degrees the AC would kick on at 76 degrees and off at 72 degrees or so. This meant that you were either HOT or COLD never comfortable. I asked the night clerk how to program it in with a narror range (2 degrees like home) and she had no ideal what I was talking about.

Breakfast was great...

Just to be fair, about 1 hour before we check in there was a thunder storm that passed threw and dump 4" of rain.

Maybe most of these bad reports can be blamed on the storm. But when we checked in the Elavator quit working and we had to carry all our bags up the narror stairs, they did get them working sometime late at night. Thier computer system was down and they had to just write down all your information and credit card number down on a piece of notebook paper. During the night the fire alarm system started chirping and the night staff could not figure out how to stop it, she was on the phone to Management trying to figure it out, took for ever... During the entire stay the internet was down and I had to go and borrow another hotels internet in order to get some very inportant business done.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We take your comments seriously and will address your concerns with other managers and staff members. We appreciate your patronage and hope to host your stay again when you return to Hampton Roads, Virginia. If you have any further questions or interest in rebooking feel free to call me.

Travelers are raving about these Newport News hotels

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Being a frequent traveler usually staying for 10 -30 days, my preferences may be different from short term stays. This hotel was great for my 6 night stay. The hotel is clean comfortable, relatively quiet and extremely well located. Walking distance to Food Lion grocery store, a nice BBQ restaurant and a seafood deli/ bar (Hoss's). Interstate is right down the road and Walmart is about a mile or so away. There is a convenience store right next door. The hotel is your standard Country Inn with free breakfast. I asked for and got the top floor on the backside of the hotel and it was nice and quiet. Laundry room with 1 washer and 1 dryer only $1.00 each. The front desk staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I always get dining suggestions from hotel staff and these folks were great.
Some small gripes would be how small the fridge is and that the bathroom did not have a fan operated ventilator so the mirror fogged from the shower. Extra pluses include a DVD player in each room, a nice in-door pool and hot whirlpool. Overall it was a nice stay and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank WWWdotnotyoursdotcom
Thank you for your comments. We take your concerns seriously, appreciate your patronage and hope to host your stay again when you return to Hampton Roads, Virginia. If you have any further questions or interest in rebooking feel free to call me.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2009

The good - central location, plenty of decent restaurants and shopping nearby, decent neighbourhood, no traffic noise, complimentary breakfast.
The bad- thin walls (you can hear snoring in the other room), the exterior lighting shines right in the windows.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Clementon,NJ
Reviewed August 24, 2009

this was a good location for my need close to the hospital of a relative. My initial tip off should have been the "damp" smell when I entered the room. 1.the FRIDGE did not function properly .2. the next morning after keeping the b/room closed during ther night [not a strange thing to do] the b/room had a FOUL odor;like the sewer.
the last straw was the carpet under the window was soaked (about 3 feet into the room)after a "heavy rain" and the front desk knew this from a previous occurence. ROOM-119 [1st floor/front of hotel-facing the parking lot.]

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
sbarger, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, January 29, 2010
We did have a problem with one room leaking during heavy rain storms. We have had a french drain installed along that side of the building, and have regraded the flower bed. We have taken other precautions to prevent this re-occurrence.
Oklahoma
Reviewed August 13, 2009

This hotel is perfect to take teenagers as the room is very spacious!!!! Great location to visit Colonial Willaimsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. We had many friends tell us where not to stay so we found this hotel . LUCKY US!!!! We were very pleased!! Friendly staff, clean room, fluffy towels, free hot breakfast, what a great find. We would definately stay there again and recommend it to all .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Newport News
Reviewed July 24, 2009

While staying at this Country Inn & Suites my camera was stolen. The last night of my stay I returned to find that my key would not work on my room. When I went to the front desk to find out what was going on they said "they thought I had checked out". All of my things were thrown into my suitcase still on the hangers and my digital camera was missing. I cannot believe they moved me from my room. The only compensation they say they can give me is an apology. I have lost many priceless pictures on my camera. I would think as an owner of this franchise or a manager of this franchise that you would at least offer a voucher for a future stay or a reimbursement of the last night stay which was aweful. I will never again stay at a Country Inn & Suites. At least not in this town which is individually owned and operated.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Bikeracer34
sbarger, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
The guest in question had 2 reservations, for 2 separate types of rooms. It was a sold out day, and the guest left the stuff in the original room.

I have no way to verify whether anything was missing or not. The guest could have prevented this entirely by moving her belongings out of the first room, so she could check into the second room that afternoon.

The guest has been threatening to extort us for 2 months now. Her behavior, threats, and demands have been unreasonable, and there was no way to work with her. We were forced to bite the bullet and accept a negative review instead of giving into her unreasonable demands.

Sbarger, Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport News
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa
Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
Comfort Suites Airport
Comfort Suites Airport
#10 of 38 in Newport News

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South? Share your experiences!