We spent two week traveling around Maryland and Virginia visiting historic sites. We stayed a week at the Newport News, Virginia Country Inns & Suites. The location was on route 17 about 15 miles from downtown Newport News and 25 miles from Colonial Williamsburg. The area abounded with restaurants and malls close by.
The room was nice but very crowded for three adults and their luggage.
The hotel has lots of issues. Upon arriving there were not enough towels in the room, the microwave did not work properly and the code we were given for the internet was incorrect. Staff was friendly and attempted to correct what they could.The next day we discovered the washer on our floor was out of order as was the fitness room. The washer remained out of order for the whole week. The fitness room remained out of order for four days. The third day our room was not cleaned, bed not made and towels not replaced. The fourth day the maid did not leave enough towels again. The fifth day was a repeat of the third day and not enough towels the sixth and seventh days. The front desk staff said they had left notes for the manager who was nonexistent until the sixth day. I sent an email to the manager the fourth day. When I spoke to the manager on the sixth day he said he was unaware of any problems and would look into it. The management of this hotel is inept to say the least.
The breakfast was good with oatmeal and cold cereal, waffles, plain bagels, pastries, scrambled eggs, sausage and orange and apple juice. The breakfast menu had no variety and did not change all week except Sunday when there was bacon instead of sausage.
This hotel like most has those mini pillows, I hate mini pillows! Maybe if enough guests complain they will use regular pillows. The bed was softer than I like but still comfortable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renovated in 2010, the smoke and pet free, 64 rooms and suites provide travelers with comfortable, affordable and value rich lodging in Hampton Roads. All beds feature Serta Perfect Sleeper matresses, rooms have individually controlled thermostats, and hypoallergenic linens to provide a comfortable nights rest. As a mid scale, limited service hotel and located in the heart of Hampton Roads, the Hotel assures guests that room and suite rates remain competitive. With all of the standard amenities of the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson brand guests appreciate the features and services they come to expect such as an indoor swimming pool and hot tub, 24 hour coffee and tea, freshly baked cookies, and complimentary hot breakfast and WiFi.We look forward to hosting your future stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn & Suites Newport News South Hotel Newport News
- Country Inn And Suites Newport News South
- Country Inn Newport News
- Newport News Country Inn