Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Waterville, Maine
“Do Not Stay”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We spent two week traveling around Maryland and Virginia visiting historic sites. We stayed a week at the Newport News, Virginia Country Inns & Suites. The location was on route 17 about 15 miles from downtown Newport News and 25 miles from Colonial Williamsburg. The area abounded with restaurants and malls close by.
The room was nice but very crowded for three adults and their luggage.
The hotel has lots of issues. Upon arriving there were not enough towels in the room, the microwave did not work properly and the code we were given for the internet was incorrect. Staff was friendly and attempted to correct what they could.The next day we discovered the washer on our floor was out of order as was the fitness room. The washer remained out of order for the whole week. The fitness room remained out of order for four days. The third day our room was not cleaned, bed not made and towels not replaced. The fourth day the maid did not leave enough towels again. The fifth day was a repeat of the third day and not enough towels the sixth and seventh days. The front desk staff said they had left notes for the manager who was nonexistent until the sixth day. I sent an email to the manager the fourth day. When I spoke to the manager on the sixth day he said he was unaware of any problems and would look into it. The management of this hotel is inept to say the least.
The breakfast was good with oatmeal and cold cereal, waffles, plain bagels, pastries, scrambled eggs, sausage and orange and apple juice. The breakfast menu had no variety and did not change all week except Sunday when there was bacon instead of sausage.
This hotel like most has those mini pillows, I hate mini pillows! Maybe if enough guests complain they will use regular pillows. The bed was softer than I like but still comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I am sorry you were dissatisfied with your recent stay with our hotel. If you would like to discuss your problems further, please feel free to contact me via email or at the hotel directly. I know we had spoken several times during your stay, and we corrected the majority of the problems, but if you would like to discuss it further do not hesitate to contact me further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Salisbury
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have never had a bad experience at Country Inn & Suites until this one. I used my reward points to pay for the room so maybe that was why I got a terrible room. Although I thought "reward" meant I was supposed to be given priority status. We were sent to a room on the first floor. Terrible musty smell when we entered. Refrigerator was missing. When I went to turn on the lights, there were no light bulbs in any lamps. There were stains on the comforter. I went to the front desk and said what is going on. She said the room had been used for storing the gym equipment when the gym was being worked on and they had told her it was ready to be rented again. She said we only have one room left that I can put you in. I would have been furious that I made this reservation 2 weeks in advance if I had been forced to leave and find another hotel because of their incompetency. We were put on the third floor and that room was fine except the comforter needed to be replaced. The hotel needs upgrading and they did say that they were getting ready to start renovations for a new look. Do not stay there until they make improvements. Walls are paper thin. People that came in late woke me up talking in the hall.

Room Tip: Don't stay there until they renovate.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry about the problems you had during your recent stay with us. We normally upgrade all Club Carlson members, but that weekend we were sold out due to a large concert in town, and there were no rooms available to upgrade to. Still, I am very sorry about the condition of the room you were placed in. I will make sure those issues are addressed immediately.

If you would like to discuss your problems further, or if there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I only use this location when staying in Newport News. They Welcome me each stay with a smile, they know me by name and are ready with my reservation and a DVD player for my Red Box. I don't even get type of greeting at Home!!
Site is clean, smells Fresh and the Fireplace and seating in Lobby allow me to read or kick back
from the day.
My budget would allow me to stay someplace else but why? After all I am at Home!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Mr. K,

I am always happy to see great reviews, but when it comes to long time guests such as yourself, that stay with us dozens of times a year, it means that much more. I am glad that we have been able to provide you with consistent, quality service for years now!

I thank you for your years of loyalty, and your excellent review!

I look forward to many more years of business with you!

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Two years ago we stayed at this motel and found it to be a good deal for the money, clean and over all a nice place to stay, so when the opportunity came to visit Newport News again, we called and booked a room. The motel is located between a small run down strip mall and a boat repair shop. It isn't a great location, but it was quite close to where we wanted to be. They had only one room available in the entire motel - the king/jacuzzi - which was much more expensive than we had planned, but since we had a good experience with them previously, we decided to go ahead. We arrived around 4:30 in the afternoon. The lobby was packed and there was only one person on duty, but check in went smoothly and we headed off to our room. And this is where things began to go down hill. The room was directly across from the elevator, so we heard "ding", "ding", "ding" all night. The bed had been stripped and dirty bed linens were strewn all over the desk, chairs, and floor. A used cleaning rag was on the TV stand. The Jacuzzi was missing a control knob. The bathroom had been cleaned and partially set up. The Jacuzzi didn't have a bath mat, towels, or soaps/shampoos. The bathroom door was installed so poorly that there was a huge gap between the door and the hinge at the top of the door and a little tiny gap at the bottom of the door, the end result being that the door would neither close properly, or stay open all the way. The refrigerator freezer compartment hadn't been defrosted for so long that the ice build up would not allow the compartment door to close. The button on the phone which was supposed to set up a wake up call did not function. And nowhere to be found was a clock - alarm or otherwise. The bed was the primary concern. When notified of the problem, the front desk was quite surprised and promised that someone would come fix it. We left for several hours and were pleased to discover that indeed, the bed had been made while we were gone. We later discovered that the young lady working the desk had made the bed because she could not locate any one else to do it. It took several trips to the desk to locate a clock which worked. Overall, we felt the motel was not well maintained and was understaffed. We departed after one night instead of staying the two originally planned. We will make other arrangements for our next trip to Newport News.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Jewelrymaven,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn and Suites standards.
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great landscaping and entranceway. Not only was it absolutely clean and the air clean (want that aroma in my home), but it was clean and fresh smelling throughout. (what a joy!) The entire staff was courteous and friendly. Our room was upgraded to a 2 queen suite, what a delight. Our entire stay was just great! The only improvement would be the breakfast and I am assured that you can make it happen. We will see you again as we have been coming to, and staying in Williamsburg (normally yearly) for over 20 years. Our stay with you was truly outside of the box and well worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VKittyM
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your excellent review and for your business and continued loyalty to Country Inn & Suites hotels! I know you've stayed in Williamsburg for 20 years now, I am glad you decided to give our hotel a try, and I am thrilled that you loved your stay with us! I am glad that you have chosen to continue to stay with us during future visits!

Thanks again for your business and your great review, we look forward to having you as our guests for years to come!

Southfield, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Was in the area for a wedding, so I reserved a standard room for two nights. As soon as I entered the doors I was greeted with a delightful fragrance of Potpourri (nice touch). Upon check in, I was informed that my standard room had been updated to a suite (WOW)! The only drawback was that the door sticks; I handled that issue with no problem. The hotel and room were very clean and quiet. I was able to take advantage of the breakfast on Saturday, Have had better, but not bad. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again if I return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
I am glad to see you enjoyed your recent visit with us. On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to thank you for your business. I am delighted to see that you had such a great visit with us.

I hope to have you as our guest next time you're in the area.

Thanks again,

Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Visiting for CNU game. I thought we would get a simple standard room, but we had a wonderful surprise. Room had two beds plus a small living room area couch and chair! The beds for very comfortable. All of the staff front desk, housekeeping where very kind and helpful. We enjoyed breakfast both mornings, where treated to sausage, eggs, waffles, plus cereals, bagels, fruit. Next morning chicken with gravy, waffles, fruit etc very tasy! Pool and hotub was AWESOME! Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
StephenBarger, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you during your next visit to CNU!