Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
“Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

My family has stayed here on two occasions and will more than likely visiting again. We find that it is a great alternative if you are visiting the Williamsburg area and don't want to pay the Williamsburg prices. We enjoy Country Inn and Suites because of their fair price for a two room suite. We have a little one and enjoy the fact that we can sleep our little one in one room while still having our space to ourselves. The ice machine is a little loud (when people are getting ice), so request a room on the second floor or away from the ice machine.
During our second stay a mother was throwing a b-day parting for her young girls party. It was a pretty rockin' party to say the least. At about 2 am I had enough and reported the noise to the front desk...they apparently addressed the issue promptly because the noise stopped and I finally fell asleep. I hated ruining the b-day party fun, but we needed to rest up for a long day at Busch Gardens.
The breakfast is nice and starts your day off with a good start.
Keep up the good work and excellent service and we will return for our weekend trips to Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor or 1st floor away from the ice machine.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fleerik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

The rooms here were basic, my main issue with this place is the bugs-not bed bugs, but they're like small flea like things. Also, there were a couple of ants.
I happened to notice them on the tv (the flea like thingies) @ nite-I wd kill one & then another would appear. Gross. Also, our room was missing a small fridge. This morning there's 6 or so dead bugs on the a/c unit...me & my germaphobe self cd only stand to stay here a night-we're here for a bball tournament @ Boo Wms. Get me outta here!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Chocgrad39
west newbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We usually stay at Marriot hotels and have good luck. My recent trip to Marriot City Center in Newport was not very good so we opted for a new hotel this time ( I went there do to reviews) We saw this hotel and decided to give it a try although not ranked at the top. I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was incredibly nice. Our rooms were clean and the bathroom was very nice-much more udpated than the other hotel we stayed at two weeks ago. We stayed the first night and figured we could always go to another hotel if it was not ok-we ended up spending all three nights here. Clean, friendly, all the comforts I needed- what else more could I ask for. We will definitely be returning here on our next trip in July. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
StephenBarger, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff and I strive to provide the best possible guest experience, and we love hearing from our guests!

Thank you for the great feedback, and we look forward to your future visits when your travels bring you our way!

Assistant General Manager
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stay at this chain often for business and pleasure. This is my first stay here and I will definitely come back again. It had the same coziness and cleanliness that I come to expect from Country Inn. The front desk staff was uniformly friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good. They made fruit salad from scratch with real fresh fruit! The neighborhood wasn't upscale but it felt safe and it was handy to both I-64 and Rt. 17. It was 10 minutes from the airport but definitely less expensive than other similar quality hotels nearer the airport. There weren't many restaurants nearby so you'd want to have a car if you stay here.
I like Country Inns more every time I stay in one, wherever I am.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Redwood67
StephenBarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our hotel, and for your business in general! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and are excited to hear you'll be staying with us in the future. We go out of our way to make each guests stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, and we enjoy hearing from our guests after their stays.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you next time you're with us!

Stephen Barger,
Memphis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

The establishment is short distance from interstate. An older site but maintained by an exceptional service team of friendly staff. Shower curtain too thin. Property very clean. Management very attentive to the needs of patrons. After contacting front desk re:loud kids running over our heads, the staff promptly contacted the room & assured us it would be rectified if not sufficiently quieted after a few minutes. Try the County Grill restaurant just down the way for live music & good bbq. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
StephenBarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us! I, and the entire staff are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again next time you're in town!

Idaho Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

This was a wonderful Motel. The rooms were great, beds comfortable. In the lobby area they have a reading/sitting area complete with a small library of books. The front office manager Stephen Barger was there to make sure we were comfortable during our stay. The breakfast host Ashanti had the breakfast dishes out and all the choices too! The area was very tidy! The house keeping at this motel is tops. We enjoyed our stay here. Thanks to the staff who made it great experience. I might also add Stephen Barger was dressed in a suit and taking care of business.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
StephenBarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Thanks for the review! I, and the entire staff at the Country Inn & Suites in Newport News are extremely glad you enjoyed your stay here. We hope you stay with us when you're in town again!

Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

i thought it was good................................................................................................................................................and thats all i have 2 say

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
StephenBarger, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thanks for your review of the Country Inn & Suites in Newport News, VA. On behalf of the entire staff, I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope you decide to stay with us on your next trip to Newport News/the Hampton Roads!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport News
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport News Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
Comfort Suites Airport
Comfort Suites Airport
#10 of 38 in Newport News

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newport News South? Share your experiences!