“It's like traveling back to the 50's”

Belgian Waffle & Steak House
Ranked #67 of 498 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I had such a great time eating breakfast here and listening to the conversations and interactions between the staff and customers!!! My server (Tawna) was great and the food was delicious and came out fast!!

I will definitely return!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Enjoyed a great breakfast here! Service staff is very friendly & they are fast to take your order. The food is plentiful and arrives quickly. Will return when in the area.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We have visited BW&S for years during the months of May through September when in town. Always great food and service. This May we droped in and noticed a change of ownership and management. Hummm....

Well the food is fair, not great. The service is down as well. The waitress was totally clueless when I tried to explain that the salad comes before the main course. She threw our plates on the table and bounced off. I ordered a full dinner, but didn't get it. The restaurant was nearly empty, no excuse!
Gone was the wonderful warm rolls and soft butter. Forget the first course salad. Gone is the great wait staff who made you feel like you are welcome.
BW&SH was my favorite restaurant in Newport News Va. We may try a breakfast there to see if the food is still up to its original superior quality. We will look for a different waitress for sure.

3  Thank C. L
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I love coming here, it makes me smile knowing that these 'mom and pop' diners are still around this area! I have always enjoyed supporting local businesses. I come here maybe once a month, it is usually packed and very busy on Sunday's especially. Yes, IT IS THAT GOOD! The staff are very friendly and the coffee is pretty decent. I love the atmosphere this place brings. The food is always delicious and I never have any problems. Can't say it enough LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love breakfast food, who doesn't right?

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Yummy Southern breakfast in a real diner: pork chop and eggs, country ham and grits
with a friendly and attentive staff. Totally stumbled on this restaurant on route 60. We were leaving Williamsburg and traveling south on route 60 because the Old Chickahominy House in the burg was closed for its annual cleaning. So we stayed on 60 looking for a breakfast place and saw "Belgian Waffle" on a sign, and a lot of cars outside. Rule of thumb for me is that if it's a local place, not a franchise, and there a lot of cars outside, it's probably pretty good at something. The front looked a lot like a Waffle House with a bar and booths the length of the front of the building, but it was all filled. Right away, we were greeted, and asked if we'd like to sit in the back. Figuring the signs outside that "Kiwanis/Rotary Club meet here..." meant a big room in the back, and happy to be offered a seat we said, "Sure!" like we knew what was going on. Shrug shoulders, follow the menus happily. It looked like an add-on to the original, with a little Wendy's sort of greenhouse bumpout area in addition to several other tables in a paneled room. Definitely local color, and looked like they have a lot of regulars. Menu had a lot of choices, but we were only looking at the breakfast menu. I would be okay to try another meal if we're in that area again. Prices were very reasonable but not so cheap that you worried about quality. Server (old school waitress who knew exactly how to take care of customers, suggesting and asking alternately) was great. Coffee was good, no complaints. My husband always wants tea selections and they just had straight ahead plain tea served in a mug with the bag already in it. He'd prefer to steep it himself because it ended up being way too strong for the small coffee mug, having sat in the mug before it reached the table. The pork chop was perfectly tender inside and crisp outside. Country ham and grits were perfect, and lots of it.
I'd go again!