“Yummy Southern breakfast: pork chop & eggs, country ham & grits, bottomless coffee and friendly, attentive servers”

Belgian Waffle & Steak House
Ranked #99 of 459 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Yummy Southern breakfast in a real diner: pork chop and eggs, country ham and grits
with a friendly and attentive staff. Totally stumbled on this restaurant on route 60. We were leaving Williamsburg and traveling south on route 60 because the Old Chickahominy House in the burg was closed for its annual cleaning. So we stayed on 60 looking for a breakfast place and saw "Belgian Waffle" on a sign, and a lot of cars outside. Rule of thumb for me is that if it's a local place, not a franchise, and there a lot of cars outside, it's probably pretty good at something. The front looked a lot like a Waffle House with a bar and booths the length of the front of the building, but it was all filled. Right away, we were greeted, and asked if we'd like to sit in the back. Figuring the signs outside that "Kiwanis/Rotary Club meet here..." meant a big room in the back, and happy to be offered a seat we said, "Sure!" like we knew what was going on. Shrug shoulders, follow the menus happily. It looked like an add-on to the original, with a little Wendy's sort of greenhouse bumpout area in addition to several other tables in a paneled room. Definitely local color, and looked like they have a lot of regulars. Menu had a lot of choices, but we were only looking at the breakfast menu. I would be okay to try another meal if we're in that area again. Prices were very reasonable but not so cheap that you worried about quality. Server (old school waitress who knew exactly how to take care of customers, suggesting and asking alternately) was great. Coffee was good, no complaints. My husband always wants tea selections and they just had straight ahead plain tea served in a mug with the bag already in it. He'd prefer to steep it himself because it ended up being way too strong for the small coffee mug, having sat in the mug before it reached the table. The pork chop was perfectly tender inside and crisp outside. Country ham and grits were perfect, and lots of it.
I'd go again!

• Visited January 2014

Newport News, Virginia
“GREAT FAMILY DINER”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I ordered the pancakes and the light and fluffy with a unbelieveable taste. We have been here before but something just tasted so much better this time.

• Visited December 2013
“Excellent value”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Have been here several times. Whether it is alone or with family it is always a pleasant experience. The wait staff is friendly and makes you feel at home. Great food and even better prices. The menu offers something for everyone.

Ottawa, Canada
“Gluten Free Pancakes”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just returned from a visit to Newport News. Someone on here mentioned they tried the gluten free pancakes so we thought we'd give it a try. The Waffle and Steakhouse is a quant little locally owned diner. We ate here two mornings in a row. The staff was plentiful as well as the service with a smile. I have gluten, egg and dairy allergies and they were so nice and very accommodating to clean the grill before preparing my steak with homemade pan fries. They usually use butter to make the pan fries but at my request they used oil. Bottom less coffee is always a plus, our cup was never empty.
The second day my husband and I ordered the gluten free pancakes. Yummy! These were so fluffy and delicious, they even had maple syrup that was warmed so your pancakes don't get cold. You can add whatever fruit you like or just have them plain with bacon and eggs. It's very difficult to find restaurants that will accommodate allergies never mind a waffle and pancake house. We'd definitely return if in the area again.

• Visited September 2013
New York, New York, United States
“Not fully satisfied....”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I agree, this place has great value for the food... After reading the reviews here... I was convinced to make this my Sunday dining venue after church, admittedly I felt overdressed after walking in. I was greeted and seated immediately by this friendly motherly woman who could've easily been my grandmother. You have the option of a booth, table and counter. This like an average diner. The bathrooms reminded me of being in high school. Nonetheless, let's get to the food... I came for the Delmonico steak 12 oz. and bake potato which also came with a choice of veggies, fruit or other stuff (list is too long to remember) and a soup or salad. I chose peas and carrots, and clam chowder (recommend by Debbie, my server) oh and dinner roll with a scoop of butter. The chowder came... It was mmmm good, very delicious, just right flavors. All their soups are homemade and it tastes so too! Then my large steak came (see pictures) ... It was a thick, fatty cut and lightly seasoned with seasoning salt, I intended not to use the steak sauce. I ordered it medium rare. Unfortunately, it tasted like to different pieces of meat. One filleted portion tasted old, similar to sitting in the fridge or freezer too long. So they brought me a smaller piece. It didn't have the same flavor as the first one and thinner. This one was okay too. The baked potato was decent and the roll was soft and fresh. My hope was for a high grade meat at a cheap price. I didn't get that. You really do get what you pay for. The peas ad carrots were bland, like they came out of a can. The service was overall friendly and caring. I will came back and try something else because of that and they give you 15% off you next meal if you return with your current receipt within 24 hours. When compared to other diners in general, I'll give it a 5 for customer service, stomachs satisfaction, food flavor. But for a good steak it gets a 3 in my book because I didn't leave satisfied with my meat, like I would at Mikes or Chophouse. If the meat were fresher it would have tasted better. I imagine, they may hold it for up to 2 weeks to keep the prices low. By the way, my bill came to $13 with tax. Good deal...but if you are craving a good steak, invest in it at higher-end restaurant. I took mine home, seasoned, cooked it and made it a salad topper. Thanks for reading and thanks for sharing! ++++++ I received no compensation for this review.

• Visited August 2013