“New Place--Same Great Food”

Harpoon Larry's Oyster Bar
Ranked #2 of 454 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Yorktown, Virginia
“New Place--Same Great Food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stopped for the Sunday noon meal at the new Harpoon Larry's in Newport News. My wife had the flounder sandwich with chips while I had the special cobia sandwich with fries. We both enjoyed our meals. Larry's offers 28 draft beers so your sure to like something. Service is still evening out at the new location, but meal was very good.

Longview, Texas
“Harpoon Larry's New Location in Newport News, VA”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My extended family and I recently visited Harpoon Larry's New Location at 621 J Clyde Morris
Newport News, VA 23601. I had the seafood platter which was fantastic - shrimp, scallops, crab cake, and oysters. My wife had the grilled tuna sandwich which she loved. Others had fried flounder and fried oysters. Everyone's meal was excellent. The crazy thing was that at 1:30 in the afternoon, the parking lot was FULL! (Good indication of how good the pace is!) They were busy, but seemed to deal with the crowd well. Our service was good but not overbearing. A great experience overall. We will go back the next time we are in Newport News!

Newport News, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Need more parking”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I think the the quality of the food has fell off a little,but still not bad.My husband and I shared the calamari it was a little tough.The menu said served with marinara sauce or romalard .Being from the north we are use to having marinara.The server brought the calamari then told us she was advised they don't served marinara anymore.My husband had a founder sandwich and I had steamed shrimp I had to ask for extra napkins.Oue server was polite but needed training.The place is larger the food came out in a reasonable time but still noisy.

east coast
“New location, same problem......parking”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Well we were surprised to find out that the closed the old place down and moved to a new location about 7 miles away. The new place was much bigger and nicer, but parking was still a problem. Some of the food was excellent and some was a notch below what it used to be. Crab cakes are excellent here. Service was just average. Often times when a restaurant expands they go through growing pains. I think this is happening here.

• Visited July 2013
“New location review”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I first ate at the old location in April, I have eaten at the old location twice since. Tonight's review is from their new location on J. Clyde, parking is horrible with out a doubt, volume of music was way to loud and caused everyone to yell (couldn't hear my wife on other side of table that's how bad it was)! Food was salty, portions were still good size. However, I will retract my previous post and say that I will not travel from Richmond to here for dinner anymore, there is no way I would bring my kids to this location. We had two different apps brought to our table that weren't ours, they need to get it together.