“unprofessional”

Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My two young daughters and i were met by Jason the front desk clerk. After slipping him a "twenty" and asking for an upgraded room he ends up giving me a downgraded room. After alerting him of this he gives me back the same room, different location and because i took responsibility for this blunder i let him keep the cash, Ok my fault ball one. Ten minutes later i'm slipping in the shower because there is no shower mat and according to Jason there never was or ever will be a shower mat, strike one. Next, i go to put creamer in my coffee and wala, no creamer. I called the front desk three times but alas still no creamer. Little did i ( or Jason ) know that some incompetent put it by my door without knocking, stike two.

Its important that i include Prashant, the hotel manager at this point because i feel he plays a pivitol role. You see, as this was all happening the first night Prashant was on top of this. He gave us free movie tickets, candy and even sent a gift basket to the room. This sounds all well and good but like a good pitch you have to follow through, right? EEEEEEEE (Buzzer). Here comes the pitch: When i made reservations i told them of the neccessity of a healthy and always available pool. Jason assured me weeks prior to our visit that their pool is indeed an indoor pool and is always available to it visitors. Well, my children and i went to the pool our second night stay and EEEEEEEEEEEE, no pool. Seems they had a problem with the filter and it wasn't until 10:00pm that it was finally made available, strike three. Included as well was a dirty blanket that smelled like old food that i requested be washed to no avail.

To their credit it rained our first night there and we stayed dry.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank daprisc
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Newport News

Reviewed June 5, 2009

This was a very clean, very nice economy hotel! I loved the "sleep-number-like" beds! I got a great night's sleep. The staff was incredibly friendly and helped us pick the perfect spot for dinner! The pool is small, but it's not chlorinated, a big plus! Our room had a view of a creek and geese swam by with their babies and we saw turtles too! Even though it's in a strip mall area, when I was in the room, I had no idea I wasn't in the country somewhere. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to all my friends. If all of this chain are like this one, I'll be choosing it more often.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meadowbobcat
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Our family stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend after a trip to Busch Gardens. The hotel was very clean and we thoroughly enjoyed the stay here! Would definitely stay here again! We didn't do the breakfast at the hotel--ended up going to a nearby IHOP which was quite busy.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Since I don't drive, I had hoped to stay in "Center City," but the Marriott rates were far more than my budget would allow. Since reviews for Hilton Garden Inn mentioned that restaurants and shops were within walking distance, I reserved a room here. It was a completely positive experience. I wish that I had written the names of the hotel staff in my notebook. I'd like to thank individuals for their help, but don't want to leave anyone out. Everyone I encountered on the staff was friendly and very helpful. They told me where to find everything I needed within walking distance, and called taxis for me when I needed to go anyplace. The small shop at the front desk was a great convenience. I loved my ground floor room, which was immaculately clean, large, comfortable, and looked out on a calming stream. I didn't get to try the breakfast buffet. I hope to have that chance another time, since I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Clean newer property with great pool and restaurant. Quiet tucked away location close to restayrants (good Fuddruckers next door)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Really friendly and helpful staff who go out of their way to make you feel really welcome. Hotel is really well maintained. Room was great with really comfortable beds. Good breakfast buffet. Excellent stopover if you are visting Yorktown/Williamsburg area. Business area with PCs, printers etc. Short walk to supermarket, cinema and some restaurants. Many other shops (WalMart, Macys etc) short drive away.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 12, 2008

This was a very nice property. It was immaculately clean and the staff was very accommodating. It is relatively new, so everything was fresh and comfortable. The beds were very nice and the breakfast was good. I purchased the "bed and breakfast" package and it was a pretty good deal. There were no problems except for a few "maintenance glitches". One of the lights in the bathroom kept going out. Despite my reporting it to the front desk, the problem persisted throughout my stay. Also, I was in the corner wing of the hotel (far from the main entrance) and the card-swiping door mechanism was broken for the first two days I was there. It was pretty inconvenient to have to enter through the main lobby door when my room was so far away (I was in room 210). The hotel offered free wireless internet but it would often suddenly "go down" in the middle of doing something. It never lasted long but was a bit irritating. Other than these minor problems, everything else was fine. I like this hotel about the same as the Candlewood Suites across the street, and my next stay will depend upon which property offers the best price. On this trip, Candlewood was about twenty dollars more per night, so the Hilton won!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)