“GREAT HOTEL - GREAT LOCATION”

Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Hotel staff is wonderful! Both front desk specialists (evening check-in and morning check-out) were absolutely terrific. My wife and I were in area for holiday shopping and are likely to do so again next year and if so will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Newport News

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I always prefer to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn whenever and wherever I travel. It is not always affordable but I did the pre pay guarantee rate. Nonetheless, I can always depend on top of the line service and professionalism from the staf. The hotels are ALWAYS clean and fresh.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are big enough to not feel cramped. Has a great gym and pool. Great location to all the restaurants in the area. Small business center but it works for what you need it to. Breakfast costs but is worth the 6.95.
Price was good too.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Very good hotel. Comfortable rooms, good food, friendly and helpful staff. The facilities and common areas are well maintained and it was a pleasure to stay there. Great location right next the freeway and close to shopping and restaurants. I will definately be staying there again.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I'm just not sure I have ever understood the logic behind this brand. The property is really nice and clean. Well groomed landscape with a very friendly staff. But none of this matters if you can't get the room reservations correct, the service may be with a smile, but only if you get service.
So once again they put the driver in the Handicap Accessible room, I'm really beginning to think that hotels all think that drivers must be handicapped. But that's a whole different story.
The room was clean and very roomy. Lots of space. The mattress however is somehow adjustable to fit your own firmness, but either mine didn't work or it was wore out, and one side was real soft and the other was real hard. The TV remote took forever to flip channels. The internet worked good, but I wouldn't try to stream a movie.
My room never got refreshened, and I am sure it was because they somehow thought I was checking out, after my first night. Then when they found out I was there for two nights they still didn't service the room. Then to find out they added another night. They where so confused. I just need the room for two nights. Not one, Not three, but TWO. It would have been nice to have my coffee replaced and fresh towels in my room.
So on the last morning I decided to try the breakfast. What did I get, I got two eggs cooked to order and put on a cold plate, then the food in the buffet was luke warm. This all for $10, I knew the price wouldn't be the cheapest, but still I thought it might at least be hot. Not a great way to finish my stay. The coffee wasn't even that hot. I was in no way going to eat the sausage, of which I can say they had a choice of patties and links. Who wants sausage that was cooked in a deep fat fryer until it was black. It didn't even appear to look good. I know I should have just left at this point, but I was not smart and didn't leave myself time to go somewhere else to eat. Makes you feel kind of trapped. What is really bad, is online they are promoting free breakfast on their website with a Friday or Saturday night stay. My $10 was not what I call free.

BOOK A WEEKEND STAY AND BREAKFAST IS ON US.
Reserve your weekend stay (Friday and/or Saturday) between November 1, 2013 and March 30, 2014 (U.S. only), and you’ll get a complimentary, cooked-to-order breakfast. To aid in the fight against hunger, we’ll help Feeding America secure 675, 000 meals on behalf of local food banks in the U.S. It’s “Breakfast with Heart!”

For me the overall value is not good at all. For the prices they charge the service should be much better and well organized. I can say they had a lot of staff, but I have no idea why things weren't getting done. Coffee in the lobby was out twice during the stay. The breakfast cafe only had one cook and one server, so if they did get busy they would not have been able to handle it.

Room Tip: Plan to get your breakfast somewhere else. The cooked to order isn't what its all cracked up to...
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Very nice and fairly new hotel, enjoy the free breakfast at Hampton Inn, but the breakfast was definately better at the Garden Inn, so you pay for it. Comfortable beds you can self adjust firmness on, great exercise facility, located close to several places to eat also.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Enjoyed my recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Newport News. Was traveling with a friend who picked the hotel and everything was as nice as it good be for what I considered a moderate price. My impression was that everything was very clean and quiet. I especially enjoyed my made to order omelet for breakfast and the nice hot shower in the morning. The bed was very comfortable and my room was quiet. There was even a comfortable chair for reading. Could not ask for anything more.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family