“multo bene!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Al Fresco

Al Fresco
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Fresco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 454 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Al Fresco Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. Al Fresco Restaurant was planned with the summer in mind. An outdoor patio with a warm breeze and cold drinks are a perfect combination.
“multo bene!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were out for a pre holiday dinner. Fod was excellent! Sevice was very good! Wine was good !recommeded by the waiter. Most enjoyable visit!

• Visited December 2013

“After We FINALLY Ate...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I reserved a table for two on Open Table for Al Fresco for 7pm on a Saturday, and almost immediately had a phone call from them asking me to change my reservation to 7:30. Apparently they had overbooked the time slot, and were calling many of the patrons asking for time changes. We arrived at 7:20 and were promptly seated, which I appreciated. Unfortunately, we waited nearly 10 minutes before the waitress even acknowledged we were seated there. I understand that they were quite busy, but after she did walk over, she spent time opening her order book, reaching across the table to grab a candle to light, and looking at us expectingly before she even introduced herself. I ordered a bottle of wine, and she asked which corresponding number the wine had on the menu, which I sort of thought was rude. Then, she basically said that since we had waited for so long for service, we should have had adequate time to review the menu and order...really? We asked for a few more minutes, and she retrieved the wine (which, by the way, was not the one I ordered), and upon pouring it into the glass, spilled it down the side, and into the table. Normally, I would chock this up to having an off night, but her service never improved. Mind you, we were seated at 7:20, and after ordering...our food arrived at 8:50. EIGHT FIFTY. The food was...okay. Nothing I would ever be willing to wait an hour and twenty minutes for again. The staff was completely unapologetic, and the table beside us was was equally frustrated. I won't ever return to this restaurant. One perk...the entrees are huge.

2 Thank Lfdaniels06
Kent, Ohio
“feels like Little Italy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Al Fresco Italian Restaurant was one of my choices on a recent trip to Hampton VA, and on entering I felt like I was in a big city's Little Italy. I had in mind the Vitello Verbena (veal scallopini with proscuitto, capers and asparagus) so I asked for recommendations for a lighter appetizer, and my server recommended the Melanzane Rollatini (sliced eggplant stuffed with ricotta topped with tomato sauce). The appetizer was a good choice and my entree was excellent. Our reservation was for a Thursday night at 8:30pm and my colleague and I ended up talking business until after 10:15pm, well after all the diners left, but our server was very gracious. Definitely worth a visit, and they take reservations on OpenTable, which is always a plus!

• Visited November 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“Beautifully fresh made pasta, awesome sauces”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Wow, wonderfully fresh food. Loved the freshly made Linguini under the seafood. Good service, high end atmosphere. Really enjoyed it would come again if I lived here.

Visited October 2013
Newport News, VA
“Good atmosphere and great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Birthday celebration dinner at Al Fresco. This is an Italian restaurant in a shopping center. It truly doesn't look distinguishing from the outside -- but once inside -- the atmosphere is very nice with subdued lighting and nice decorations. We were warmly greeted and seated quickly. The waitress -- Sabrina -- was awesome -- and it was her first night!!! She was attentive to our needs without being intrusive. She took our drink order and checked on whether we wanted appetizers (we didn't). I ordered the Pollo Rustico and the other order was for Lasagna -- both came with house salads and bread sticks. Both dishes were great and huge portions. If you are looking for an alternative to the big Italian chain restaurants --- give this restaurant a chance!! You won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013