“Outstanding Food and Service”
Review of Al Fresco

Al Fresco
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Fresco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 502 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Al Fresco Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. Al Fresco Restaurant was planned with the summer in mind. An outdoor patio with a warm breeze and cold drinks are a perfect combination.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had dinner at Al Fresco last week on our way to a show at the Ferguson Center; it was memorable . We have eaten there a number of times in the past, but not recently. The experience we had last week convinced us that this is the best Italian restaurant on the peninsula. The selections offered are quite broad, and the prices reasonable. Our food was outstanding and served professionally. The portions were large enough that we had lunch the next day with the left-overs. I would highly recommend Al Fresco; you won't regret it.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I have been there many times and we have never had a bad experience. Ronnie and Vinnie are class acts; they treat us and most of their customers like family and the food is wonderful. Many choices and always cooked perfectly; their meat sauce and their white wine sauce is unbeatable. We travel a lot and have eaten at a dozens of restaurants but Al Fresco is among the very best. If you want great food, nice atmosphere, friendly yet very capable staff, and fair prices for what you get, this is the restaurant for you.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I just had lunch at Al Fresco. On entering it felt very warm, no air conditioning.The decor is very dated and old fashioned. The music was very old and depressing. Sorry to go on about the Old but the wait staff have been there a long time too.
The service was very prompt, so much so we didnt have time to look at the menu. Then we were shown the Lunch time specials, which consisted of bowls of pasta in various sauces.
We ordered from the regular menu, I chose chicken salad and my husband had a veal dish. The Veal was two very small pieces with a very thin caper (salty) sauce with plain pasta. My salad had cranberries and walnuts with regular (toms,cuc,carrots), I was given a very bland Italian dressing to put on it,which did nothing to bring out the flavor of the food. The chicken was very very thin and didnt have much taste either even though it was an orange color?
Having read the previous reviews, I was expecting so much more, like my title I say again, I must be missing something!?

1  Thank BritinVA579
Reviewed September 1, 2012

After reading reviews of this restaurant I decided to try it with a friend and my cousin. My friend loves Italian food, but has never eaten here. It's a small restaurant I've passed multiple times before, but I might have to stop by more often after my dining experience there. We entered the restaurant looking perplexed because we felt a bit under-dressed, but the owner cheerily greeted us and promptly sat us. The decor is pretty nice and subdued with a hint of formality. Candles and tablecloths lined on each table while our servers filled our glasses with water. Our waiter was very prompt with greeting us and we quickly ordered.

We all had a house salad, dressed with oil and vinegar, along with fresh garlic bread. Both were tasty, but not overwhelmingly great. The main course, however was a different story! I ordered the Pollo Exquisito (Exquisite Chicken, I assume) and it certainly was! It was light and savory, and the Marsala Wine sauce was delightful. I would have eaten it all, but it was a pretty good helping. My cousin got Fettucine con Carciofi and Gamberoni (it was shrimp and artichoke hearts with pesto and parsley). My friend got Chicken Alfredo. All were generous helpings and we all had to box our leftovers. So while the prices are fairly high, the quality of the ingredients and the preparation made up for it!

All in all it was a very pleasant experience, and next time I will make sure to save room for dessert!

1  Thank MarcS22
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Al Fresco is one of the best restaurants of any kind in the area. The food is always good; their sauces are to die for; the veal is just perfect; and the service is superb. They have a server who has worked there for many years...Vennie. Great guy and a pro at his job. I have been going there for several years and have always felt welcome and always look forward to a fine meal in a comfortable setting.

Been to Al Fresco? Share your experiences!