“Quaint and Tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Al Fresco

Al Fresco
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Fresco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 454 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Al Fresco Restaurant lets you feast on a bountiful array of Italian specialties. The outstanding menu, featuring pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlights a spectrum of lavish Italian specialties that are sure to please discriminating palates. Al Fresco Restaurant was planned with the summer in mind. An outdoor patio with a warm breeze and cold drinks are a perfect combination.
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Quaint and Tasty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

After reading reviews of this restaurant I decided to try it with a friend and my cousin. My friend loves Italian food, but has never eaten here. It's a small restaurant I've passed multiple times before, but I might have to stop by more often after my dining experience there. We entered the restaurant looking perplexed because we felt a bit under-dressed, but the owner cheerily greeted us and promptly sat us. The decor is pretty nice and subdued with a hint of formality. Candles and tablecloths lined on each table while our servers filled our glasses with water. Our waiter was very prompt with greeting us and we quickly ordered.

We all had a house salad, dressed with oil and vinegar, along with fresh garlic bread. Both were tasty, but not overwhelmingly great. The main course, however was a different story! I ordered the Pollo Exquisito (Exquisite Chicken, I assume) and it certainly was! It was light and savory, and the Marsala Wine sauce was delightful. I would have eaten it all, but it was a pretty good helping. My cousin got Fettucine con Carciofi and Gamberoni (it was shrimp and artichoke hearts with pesto and parsley). My friend got Chicken Alfredo. All were generous helpings and we all had to box our leftovers. So while the prices are fairly high, the quality of the ingredients and the preparation made up for it!

All in all it was a very pleasant experience, and next time I will make sure to save room for dessert!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank MarcS22

Hampton, Virginia, United States
“Best of Italy in Virginia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Al Fresco is one of the best restaurants of any kind in the area. The food is always good; their sauces are to die for; the veal is just perfect; and the service is superb. They have a server who has worked there for many years...Vennie. Great guy and a pro at his job. I have been going there for several years and have always felt welcome and always look forward to a fine meal in a comfortable setting.

• Visited August 2012
Ashburn, Virginia
“A taste of Italy in Newort News”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Discovered this hidden gem on a college search trip. Wonderful, attentive service tablecloths and candlelight. Fresh ingredients and meals can be made to order. It's not cheap but the food is a good value. Even the house wine ( pinot grigio) is good. Yes you could dine more elegantly in NN but who wants to.

Virginia Beach
“Best dessert ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Went for the first time this week and will definitely go many more times! Veal was outstanding and the "La Bomba" dessert was the best I have ever had - mango and raspberry sorbet in white chocolate shell, drizzled with chocolate :) Four of us dined and everyone raved about their meals!

• Visited June 2012
Lakeland, Georgia
“Always Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

The food is excellent, the setting is very nice and the service is outstanding --- especially if you get Vinnie (we always request a table in his area). Just a very enjoyable experience at a fair price.

• Visited April 2012