“Quiet family run place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Evanston, Illinois
“Quiet family run place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have dined here many times and have ordered carry out as well. The food is good...basic chinese fare. No wrinkles, The restaurant is nice and quiet...peaceful even. The place is family run and the service is exceptional. Will not be disappointed.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank edward d

Chesterfield and Carrollton, VA
“Best Chinese around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Love the freshness. The wait staff is just so welcoming. Food was great! Nice place for New Years Eve dinner.

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank sisterpalooza
Chesapeake, Virginia
“This place reminds me of my first Chinese dining memories”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I have fond memories as a child- my Dad introducing us to Asian food in the late 60's- each entrée was delivered in it's own silver dish with cover!

Port Arthur still serves the same way. I arrived with friends last week for my birthday and we received excellent service.

Food was tasty, affordable and we all felt warmly welcomed and satisfied when we left.

Atmosphere was cozy, quiet and very welcoming.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank JoAnn113
Waxhaw
“What a Change Time Makes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We are from Newport News & have eatten at Port Authur off & on over the years since it opened. Don't know when the change occurred bu the quality of food we had on our recent visit while in town was just not good. Quantites were huge but everyone just picked at their plates & then later after we left everyone agreed that it was some of the worst Chinese food we have had in years. Not sure they have a Chinese cook.

• Visited August 2013
Newport News, Virginia
“Not As Advertised”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I went to Port Aurther for lunch because they had a banner in front of their entrance that stated they were Hampton Roads' 2010 winners for Asian cuisine. We had no preset expectations but we were really excited to try their lunch specials. First, the decor is relatively old and outdated but not a dealbreaker. Second, we felt bad for the one waitress that was taking care of all the patrons for lunch (again...surprised that it wasn't as crowded as we expected).

We ordered an appetizer sampler and General Tso's Chicken and Beef with Mushroom and Broccoli. The soup came out and for the most part ok. When the sampler platter came out, the waitress lit a couldren on fire for a purpose we still can't figure out. The sampler was so greasy and the breading on the fried portions was so thick that we could taste the deep frying oil (which tasted like it was not replaced for quite some time) right through to the meat.

Finally, we received our main course and it was so disappointing, my wife demanded that I write this review so others would avoid this monstrosity of a restaurant. The Genral Tso's chicken came with what I would call thick molasses barbeque sauce that they considered appropriate sauce. The beef with brocolli and mushrooms had some form of gravy poured all over it that tasted horrible and the brocolli was so mushy and tasteless that we could only take one bite of the nightmare dishes.

When we told the hostess what our issues were with the dishes, she politely stated that all restaurants make each dish differently; however, I am pretty sure General Tso's chicken should taste relatively the same no matter where you go, especially at a Hampton Roads award winning restaurant.

In conclusion, stay away if you pride yourself on appreciating fine asian cuisine. I am Asian so I have every right to critique the authenticity and taste of things being passed off as Asian food. I normally do not take the time to write reviews; however, the disgraceful dishes that Port Author gave us was so deplorable that this review was necessary.

• Visited March 2013