“Disappointed”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a few times before. I have to say I really enjoyed the food on other occasions. I have gone here because I know and enjoy German food. Having been to Germany several times I know what to expect in a good schnitzel. In the past this restaurant did not disappoint, but my last time was just ok. The food seems to have lost its quality. I really think that I could prepare a chicken schnitzel at home that would be better than the veal that I was served.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Some friends invited us to eat out with them at this restaurant and after YEARS of my husband refusing to go because he HATES German food, I talked him into it for a fun night out. I had eaten there, and enjoyed it, YEARS ago but not since our marriage 20 years ago have I returned since it has never been a place my husband would like to go to.
Well, I ordered the Goulash and Spaetzle and he ordered some kind of Veal dish with Spaetzle and we both had green salads that came with their own yummy dressing and crusty rolls.
My husband could not stop talking about it!!! I was as pleased as always but my husband's reaction was unbelievable! He asked for extra rolls so he could sop up EVERY bit of sauce left on both his plate AND my plate. He called the manager over and went on and on about what a special meal it was and that he would definitely be back! Glad to have a new, close by, place to go for a great meal that felt very authentic. The quaint little tables with linen cloths and décor of the restaurant also felt very German. Our food server was very professional and accommodating. Meal prices were around $12 but included like I said, a main dish, and two sides. Very good value for a home style authentic German meal.
Note: not much "curb appeal" ....kind of looks out of place there in Warwick Blvd but I really think most will consider this a real treat.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a real jewel in the heart of Newport News, VA. Don't be deceived by the decor, which needs an upgrade, but wait for the food! I lived in Austria and I know the real thing. If you love German food, you will love this restaurant. The hazelnut torte is NOT to be missed!

1  Thank Karen G
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The desk clerk at the Country Inn in Newport News highly recommended Das Waldcafe. The wiener schnitzel was great. It took a while for the food to come out, but I was warned of this before going. But I enjoyed the beer while I waited. Excellent food!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you are in a hurry or are easily annoyed by less than speedy service then this is not the place for you. The waiters and waitresses are not the most experienced and dining can take some time. However, If you like good homemade German food Das Waldcafe is worth a stop. The Jager Schnitzel is very good and so is the Cordon Bleu. The sides are also great, I would recommend the Rotkraut and kartoffelsalat. The beer selection is also very good for a little family restaurant.

1  Thank Pete C