“Good food, slow service”
Review of DAS Waldcafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you are in a hurry or are easily annoyed by less than speedy service then this is not the place for you. The waiters and waitresses are not the most experienced and dining can take some time. However, If you like good homemade German food Das Waldcafe is worth a stop. The Jager Schnitzel is very good and so is the Cordon Bleu. The sides are also great, I would recommend the Rotkraut and kartoffelsalat. The beer selection is also very good for a little family restaurant.

1  Thank Pete C

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Returned last night after a year or so, with some trepidation given the preceding review.

My experience was entirely different. Service was prompt, exact, courteous, and attentive.

The spaetzle was, again, just perfect! Yes, some prefer the bread crumb-dusted spaetzle, but this was what I remember from five years living in Germany, and indeed, better. Buttery and firm and delightful!

The veal Schnitzel a la Holstein, with egg and anchovies on top, was thoroughly delightful and outstanding in every way! The veal was cooked just right, tender with a perfect outer crust, and the egg and anchovies and capers made this my favorite form of the schnitzel ever!

Coffee and hazelnusse kuche were great and the whole experience was just right, gemutlichkeit!

The German food here is better than any I had in the great majority of restaurants in Germany, only one place in Bad Toelz and food prepared by families competes in my memory of five years living there and a trip as recent as last year. This is the sort of restaurant one would find in a sizable town's gasthaus, or inn, except better food than one would expect. Service was swift and far better than the service you get in a German restaurant, as over there nobody is eager to get you out the door and back into the street so more customers can fill the seat. Here the service has been adjusted for the US lifestyle but by no means do you feel rushed. If there were systemic service issues recently, they were completely fixed by the time I got there.

My mom loved this dining experience and so did I. Really great food and time and money well spent.

3  Thank Chuck C
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Long time fan but last visit a total disaster due to incompetent waiter and clueless manager. Wasn't informed that they were out of our favorite meal until after we waited 25 minutes to order and were served our drinks. Now starving family wants to go somewhere else. Mgr insists I pay for my beer although i haven't touched it. What kind of German restaurant runs out of pork schnitzel and the veg of the day at 06:30 PM? You probably need to inform your patrons what you're out of when they first sit down. You'd think the manager would be worried about the satisfaction of his customers. Nope, he had to have his $8. Just lost a life long customer!

1  Thank rang109
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This has been my favorite place as long as I can remember ! Rouladen, spaetzle ,and the rotkraut are my absolute favorites!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I really wanted to like this place, especially after reading recent positive reviews. It didn't start off well when we asked to see the wine list, and they had no German wines by the bottle, just a variety of cheap jug wines by the glass or carafe. This is the first German restaurant we've been to where they didn't have at least a small selection of bottled Moselles and Rhines to pick from. We ordered a carafe of the "Rhine wine", and it was horrible - so sweet that neither of us finished it. We regretted not getting German beers instead.
The waiter brought some bread upon request to have while waiting for our entrees. The two rolls were warm and pretty to look at but had little flavor and were on the dry side. My husband ordered the pork schnitzel with mushroom sauce, and I had the schnitzel with peppers, onions and mushrooms. Like other reviewers have said, the canned mushrooms were disappointing. The schnitzels were crisp, but neither was delicious, and the 2 big (3") potato dumplings also lacked flavor, even though I could see parsley and other seasonings in them. The red cabbage side was all right but a little overcooked.
I've had better German food elsewhere, and this didn't live up to those meals, sorry to say.

2  Thank CBW47