“My mother ate alone as six of us watched...”
Review of Outback Steakhouse

Outback Steakhouse
Ranked #185 of 465 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Long story short - the cook staff were unable to deliver a medium-well steak, TWICE!

For a table of seven we spent nearly two hours at Outback Steakhouse waiting for our mothers steak to be cooked correctly. By the time her second steak had arrived we were all finished eating and after recognizing that once again, her steak was overdone, the manager asked if we wanted to try for round three, lol. We just wanted to get the heck out of there and go home!

Now my order and all the others were just fine and to be truthful, $15 for for a small steak and lobster tail is a great deal in my opinion. I guess the bread they serve is hit or miss - I am not find of it myself. Our waitress did a fair job but there were a few times when I was left looking around for waitstaff while sitting there with an empty drink. And drink we did since we were there just short of two hours. I imbibed a weekly share of Coke, lol.

Honestly, when the initial meals were finally served we had been there nearly an hour so far but no biggie - we were talking, enjoying each others company, etc. We all cut into our steaks and my mothers seriously looked and felt like a piece of shoe leather. Again, she had ordered medium-well, nothing fancy. I had imagined that her second piece of steak would be out in no time at all but to our surprise it took another 15-20 minutes. When that piece came out is was not much better.

In the end they offered her a free desert since we had all be sitting, and waiting, and twiddling our thumbs, and waiting, we just wanted to leave. My mother did not even eat her over cooked steak, we packed up and left.

I doubt we will return anytime soon...

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The food is great, but they lost our order and the waitress was beside herself since the kitchen kept telling her that it was being prepared. Finally, the manager found our ticket on the floor in the kitchen after about an hour. They gave us the coconut shrimp "on the house," but that didn't much make up for the lack of coordination. I gave the waitress the full time on the original amount, because she kept checking back with us. We were nice about it, but really, don't keep telling the waitress the food is coming when you have lost the ticket.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went to Outback for a steak. After all, that is what they do. I ordered a New York Strip medium rare. When my steak arrived it was well done. I told the waitress. She apologized profusely. She put in another order, offered to bring me more salad or soup. She even left the overcooked steak in case I wanted to niblr on it while I waited. The manager came by and also apologized, asking if there was anything else I needed while waiting. He returned moments later delivering the new steak personally. This one was cooked just how I like it - and it was a larger cut.

Mistakes happen. But their response was very impressive. Everything else about our meals was fine. And we left as satisfied customers.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

While waiting for our table, a server came around with a tray of samples. Our server was very attentive. Everything was as ordered. I had a knife that was not clean. I just asked for another one. It was not a big deal. She informed the manager who came by and apologized . He came by a second time to see if everything was alright. A second manager also came by asking guests about their meals. Every staff member that we encountered was friendly and professional. We ordered our dessert to go. We had mentioned that we were from out of town and the server made sure we had plastic forks and knives since we were staying in a hotel.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Good Sign. There was a mistake in our order. The manager, the waitress and everyone was so polite. We never complained. Just asked and it was fixed. They were busy. But they went out of their way to fix it and make us feel like the mix up was an inconvenience for us. Even though we did not feel that way. I love it when people are heart felt with their service. It makes it a 10 star place to eat. The staff and management have been very well trained. They give the room for mistakes with the concern for not only the guest but the staff. No beating up on anyone. Management knows mistakes are made and it is how it is handled that counts. And not only between customer and management but also the way management treats staff when it happens. Bravo. Bravo