“Great for the $$$$”

and 1 more site!
Magnuson Hotel & Convention Center at Oyster Point
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here years ago when it was the Omni. Yes it has changed. And the price of a night's stay is half of what it was at the Omni. True it is not as polished as before - but for the price I paid I can live with that. the bed was incredibly comfortable, room was clean. What else do you need? Will and am going back in a few weeks.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Magnuson Hotel & Convention Center at Oyster Point

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I wanted to write a review before now, but could not find this hotel listed under Omni Hotels, probably because it was being sold to become the Magnuson. However, it was the Omni when I stayed here for two nights for parents' weekend for Christopher Newport University. I sent an e-mail complaining about the room because it was not at all like it was shown on their website. It was in disrepair and it just looked old. I could tell at one point the hotel must have been lovely because of the granite countertops in the bathroom, but the carpet was dirty and torn, doors were scratched and gouged, the grout was coming up, the bed spread looked dingy and I found a roach in the bathroom. I sent an e-mail to complain with all of my return information and received a voicemail back from the manager, but when I returned the call, it went to voicemail and he never called back or followed up. He had a defensive tone in his original voicemail and said words to the effect that I must have been the only person to complain. The hotel is in a good location. My recommendation would be to call and see if this hotel has been renovated since 2012 before booking. It is has not, then go elsewhere. The two-star rating is for the location and clean towels and bed linens only at time of stay.

Room Tip: Call first to see if the hotel has been renovated since September 2012
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Archer23
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After searching online for hotels in Newport News to be between Williamsburg and VA Beach, we first stayed at Days Inn but my teenagers and I didn't feel safe there, so drove around to find a better place that we could afford (needed 2 rooms) and this place was SOOOOO much better! Front desk and housekeeping were very friendly- we stayed 7 nights and not once encountered a rude person in this hotel.

We had rooms on the 9th floor that were completely updated- exactly like what is shown in the pictures. The bathroom is HUGE compared to any other hotel I have ever been to and both rooms were very clean. My only complaint with the room is that the beds were a bit soft- they need new mattresses.

My kids used the pool and the exercise room (which is very nice with flat screen TV's and chilled towels).

The hotel is a bit hard to find- it's located within walking distance to Toby Keith's bar and grille but there are no big signs to help find it. Our GPS was pretty helpful!

We weren't in the hotel much, mostly just to sleep. However, we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: 9th floor rooms are updated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 24kgillman
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the old Omni several times a year for a while now. I was here in July, and I won't be back. I looked around for another reasonably priced hotel in the area, and was glad to find several other options.

This hotel is worn down, and barely a shell of its former self. The staff were rude, the rooms were dirty and the manager doesn't seem to care.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Yes the hotel decor is outdated. First stayed here in 1989 & I don't think the furnishings have been changed since. This is a large convention style hotel with indoor pool, restaurant, night clubs, etc. We have used it several times a year for many years when we come back to our home town to visit. The room rates are a great value. Yes, there are nics & bangs on the furniture & sometimes an AC or light doesn't work well. But it has always been clean & quiet & in a great location getting around town. Some rooms are not in great shape, others are just fine. My advice would be check things out before you unpack so you could easily change rooms if needed. This is not a Marriott. Here is hoping that the new owners can make the investment to update this grand old dame. Running a luxury hotel in Newport News has to be an extreme challenge. NN is more of a Hotel 6 kind of place.

Room Tip: Don't unpack until you check out your room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during a trip to Yorktown/Newport News/Portsmouth last weekend. The hotel at one time was a VERY NICE hotel and probably upscale. It was recently bought by a new owner that is trying to quickly improve the hotel. The lobby is quite dated but very large. They have several ballrooms & meeting rooms. All are in need of attention. The hotel desk area needs Lots of attention, but the service was really quite nice. It was not an expensive hotel now, but ONCE it may have been considered pricy.

Our room while small was very nice and VERY CLEAN and completely updated. The bed was very comfortable (King), it also had a small sofa seating area and the bathroom was nice and clean. I wasn't happy to learn that if you have a room on the 6th floor that you are limited to what you can see on the cable TV. The room had a new LARGE flat screen, but I couldn't watch my favorite programming. But I could have watched all my favorite programming if I was on the 1st-5th floor. Apparently, they have not updated the TVs on these floors and they still use the boxes. There was NO room service.

We tried the restaurant in the hotel for breakfast only ONE of the days we stayed there. I would not really recommend this restaurant. I noticed that the stairs leading down to the entry from the hotel lobby seems very dirty and in need of vacuuming at the least. The service was not that great either.

The price was not expensive so it was an OKAY stay. They are in the process of painting, cleaning remodeling and not finished. If the new owner doesn't run out of money this could be
a nice hotel again.

Room Tip: Room on the 6th-8th floor have been updated, but TV cable service is somewhat limited. Rooms on low...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judith P
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Although my husband found the front desk staff to be less than helpful, he was fine with our room and the hotel overall. He was very appreciative of the self serve laundry, since our son was in a baseball showcase and it was a hot weekend. I, on the other hand, think that there are plenty of other hotels/conference centers in this metropolitan area that I'll try next time. It seemed run down and tired.

Let me be clear, the front desk staff was not unfriendly, but just didn't seem to have a lot of interest in helping people with various little issues/questions.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family