“Retro hotdog Eatery”

Gus's Hot Dog King
Ranked #16 of 556 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 11, 2019 via mobile

Do you want to go back in time let’s say almost 50 years then this is the place. What they do they do right no you can’t get a steak here no you can’t get chicken no you can’t get a plate of spaghetti but man oh man can you get a hotdog, with chili and a bowl of chili. Although we did not get dessert but they have homemade desserts made by one of their waitresses at home and brought it.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed May 5, 2019 via mobile

Tried this place again. Nothing special. The dogs are small and overcooked. The chili lacks body. I mean, they are fine...just not great.
I suppose they aren't trying for anything exceptional...but rather, old-fashioned dawgs.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed March 25, 2019

Been to this place since I was a child and these hot dogs are good!! Service and cleanliness is excellent and they even have a jukebox!! Be sure to bring some cash for the jukebox.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 24, 2019

Hot Dog King is my "go to" place for double cheeseburgers.Whatever I ask,no problem,also,having a recent health scare,I order fries,no salt.ONCE: is all I had to mention,now,it's more like,"hey,this is Linda,my usual order".I call in my order and I am never disappointed.(my pups love the food also!)
I'VE Been a customer for the last six years,although it used to be a hangout for my daughter when she was a teenager.
I love "Mama" ,all the ladies,the guys who cook better than I do and the wonderful atmosphere.I never go there without someone saying hello,just as family.
I truly believe the area would be naked without Hot Dog King.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 4, 2019 via mobile

I like a good hotdog. I do not eat them much but when I do, I drive 25 minutes to Gus's Hotdog King. I have been going here for 30 years. I have the same thing every time. Hotdog all the way and cheese fries. I honestly have never tried anything else. It is the best hotdog I have ever had out of all the ones I've tried in many states. To me the chili on the dog is the very best.

Date of visit: March 2019