“Great food, super friendly service.”
Review of La Pena Horeb

La Pena Horeb
Ranked #38 of 459 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Latin
“Great food, super friendly service.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Once again, Trip Advisor members were right - this place IS worth a 5 star review. And I don't give 5 stars too often! Located in a small strip mall, it is clear that this spanish restaurant specializing in Dominican, Mexican and Puerto Rican cuisine is a local favorite. While we were there, the tables were constantly filled with families, couples and military service members. They don't come for the decor (minimal); they clearly come for the service (super friendly) and the food (fabulous). We had shrimp mofongos, the house special Horeb Burrito, and the carnitas burrito. We also enjoyed a side of sweet plantains and one beef and one chicken empanada. Portions were generous and almost everyone who left (including us) carried out leftovers to enjoy at home. There is no liquor license but they do offer passion fruit juice, tamarindo and horchata for folks who want a beverage that is in keeping with the culinary theme. Wish we lived closer!

2 Thank PineBarrensMom

“Authentic Caribbean Flavor”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stop looking for places to eat and go to this restaurant. The best authentic Caribbean food at the best value that I have visited in the last year. You can close your eyes while eating and your mind will tell you that you are in Santo Domingo or San Juan instead of Newport News. It's on my iPhone's Goback List.

1 Thank CMelPen
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Great Caribbean food”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After seeing so many good reviews we just had to give it a try and WOW, it was excellent. Monfongoes with fried plantains, Alcapurrias, fish tacos with freshly made tortillas, pernil as well as burritos, etc. Homemade flan for dessert. It is amazing. Traditional Caribbean service. Take your time, enjoy your food and your friends. No rush to get you out. We will be back. With friends.

2 Thank Mark S
West Point, New York
“Excellent food - even better service!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

After careful consideration and much review on Trip Advisor, we decided to trust the great reviews and give la Pena Horeb a try - very glad we did. Went at 6:00 p.m. on a Thursday night and were the only ones in the restaurant. We were greeted with a smile and the service just went up from there. We were welcomed and our hostess thoroughly explained items on the menu, and made recommendations on drinks. I tried the orange juice/milk beverage and my wife tried the rice milk/cinnamon beverage - both were outstanding. I went with the burrito horeb based on prior reviews and it was excellent.

Overall we had an excellent experience. I wish we had visited earlier as "very good" restaurants are so hard to find in the Hampton Roads area. I can honestly say that the customer service is among the best I've ever received in any restaurant. Wendy was truly happy to be there and proud of the food that was served at the restaurant and it showed.

My recommendation is that you try this place. If you tire easily of places like Los Aztecas and other middle-of-the-road chain restaurants then you will be pleased with the flavor and the service you receive at La Pena Horeb. The food is authentic and you are treated in a manner that you should be since as a customer we have choices on where we spend our money. You will be happy you made the trip.

• Visited July 2013
Ft. Lauderdale
“Holy smokes what a ball game”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Outside of eating in Porta Plata this is as good as it gets. Mui Bueno! Perfecto! I really enjoyed my meal.

• Visited June 2013