“Perfect Place to Stay”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed April 17, 2005

For the last 10 months or so, I have traveled to the Hampton Roads area every other week. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Newport News on J Clyde Morris Ave every time.
This is a fine hotel that exemplifies the standard which business travelers have come to expect. A true home away home, which is refreshing.
I have never had any issues in regard to cleanliness or service.
The front desk staff has always been prompt and courteous.
The pool and workout facility are great.
The free breakfast is wonderful also.
They offer free hi-speed internet thru an ethernet connection (WiFi is supposedly on the way.)
There is an attached restaurant, Barclays, that I have used to meet with customers. Its a first-rate place.
The hotel is only 2 years old, and the rooms show this - very clean and eveything is in order.
While traveling on business I can stay wherever I want, and I have not hesitated to book this place each and every time.
I travel by myself for work, but I have no problem recommending this place to families, couples, etc who are traveling for recreation.
The location is great - 2 blocks off I-64 and 3 minutes from the other commerce corridor - Jefferson Ave.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News

Reviewed March 22, 2005

I checked into this hotel on March 18, 2005, for 3 nights. The hotel is new, and the rooms and bathrooms are spacious, fairly nice and very clean. There is no microwave and refrigerator in the room, and the bathroom could use an adjustable shower head and a heavier shower curtain because the fan cannot be turned off. The best things about this hotel are the full-service restaurant Barclay's, the beautiful indoor pool, and its location. Unfortunately, there is a problem with the housekeepers. My room was cleaned on the first day, but not on the second day. I came back to the room at 7 p.m. and found an unmade bed and used towels on the bathroom floor. The excuse given was that "the room could not be cleaned because the Do-Not-Disturb Sign was on the door". I did go back to the room after breakfast, but when I left at 11 a.m., I took the sign off the door!!! So it is quite obvious that the housekeepers are cutting corners by claiming that the sign was on the door all day. Before checking out, I talked to the Manager (Richelle) about this problem. She promised to investigate, but I got the feeling that this has happened before, and nothing would be done about it. One bad experience is enough for me. The next time, I will stay at a Hampton Inn where I have never had a bad experience.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank Eisbaer1
Reviewed August 22, 2004

This place is spotless!!!!!! The service is OUTSTANDING!!! I can gush about the details but it will take up too much time and space.
However, I will say, if you want to be in the Newport News area, especially with children (their suites are great), this is the place to go to.

• Stayed: August 2004
4  Thank Rachel
Columbia Falls, MT
Reviewed August 5, 2004

What great hotel! My family and I came out from Montana because we'd never been to the east coast and wanted to see the beach. We stayed down at Hattaras Island but were just run off due to hurricane Alex - our first experience with such a thing. Anyway, our beach vacation ruined, but in general a wonderful experience. I can see why this hotel is the #1 hotel in the US - not only is the hotel beautiful - their staff was exceptional! When they found out what happened to us - they treated us like royalty and bent over backwards to make this the best vacation we've ever had. It really was! They brought goody baskets up for the kids and passes to several attractions - called us their "hospitality project" - I can't thank them enough. They really made our summer!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
richmond, va
Reviewed July 26, 2004

My opinion of the Holiday Inn in Newport News is that its one of the worst establishments I have ever stayed in. The rooms are filled with insects, and the management and hotel staff are very unprofessional. If by chance you are in Newport News and need a place to stay, drive by that roach motel and stay at the Omni.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2004

What a beautiful hotel! We use the internet to research all of our travel and decided to stay here on a last minute trip for a graduation. All of the staff was so friendly and the restaurant was terrific. The food was outstanding and we loved the outdoor patio. We got to use the pool every day but wish we would have had more time for that. We will definitely be back and recommend others to stay here if they are going to Newport News or nearby.

• Stayed: May 2004
2  Thank iamsara
Jacksonville, NC
Reviewed May 14, 2004

What an awesome hotel! We came with our kids for a weekend of fun - and let me tell you - this hotel is terrific. The staff is so friendly and the hotel is brand new and beautiful! They were so helpful! We had a blast in the pool and really enjoyed the restaurant - Barclay's. Absolutely made our trip!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member