WINNER WONDERLAND

Midtown Motel
Midtown Motel
Ranked #37 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Gold Hill, North Carolina
“Don't stay at this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

My family had traveled to Virginia because of the death of a family member. We had reserved four rooms through Expedia, trusting that the hotel was decent. On the positive side, all our beds slept great and the showers felt good. However, the place is in dire need of an update; the carpets are worn and dirty, the furniture is worn, even the one chair was dirty and stained. There were problems with the TV in three of the rooms and the place is in desperate need of a paint job. The hotel appears to be in a low-income area and we were concerned about the people going in and out; my sister was approached by a man who attempted to sell her marijuana. The owners (?) would not even give extra towels.

Room Tip: Don't stay at a hotel that is not a chain.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank istandforlife

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

We were traveling with our newborn and other family members and needed 2 rooms. Upon check in I asked for 2 non-smoking rooms and we got the ones right by the reception office. I stuck my nose in both rooms' doors and they smelled definitely smokey, one room was worse than the other so I picked the less smellier one to stay in with my newborn. Once we turned the lights on the horror became clear! A roach (not a Palmetto bug - a cock roach!) on the floor, another one on the wall - my husband killed them both and another one appeared from behind the curtain, then 2 more on the floor, I caught a glimpse of a torn chair before I grabbed the carseat with the baby still in it and went to the receptionist, telling her we could not stay here. She gave me a key to check out another room right next to the first 2 and walked with me to the room - as soon as I opened the door smoke smell - I did not even turn the light on to see what was inside! I told her I could not stay here with my newborn under any circumstances. During these maybe 5 minutes our family members that had been in the other room came out and reported black mold on the bathroom walls and ceiling, and when they pulled the bed's comforter back they found a roach running across the sheets.
I did get refunded immediatly for both rooms by the lady at the reception desk without even having asked for anything.
This was truly the most disgusting place I have ever seen with my own eyes, I would not even stay there if it was free! I wish now that I had taken pictures but getting out of this INFESTED place as fast as possible was more important!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank worldtrveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

We arrived after an 8 hour drive, very tired. After getting our room, we couldn't get the keycard to work. When we finally did, we walked into the room and there were swarms of roaches EVERYWHERE. We asked for another room. The office manager showed us two more rooms, all of which had roaches. In one room, he dusted them off the bed. One of the rooms smelled completely like mold and mildew. He seemed upset that we wouldn't pick our room, or one of the rooms he showed us and when we voiced our outrage, he was telling us to keep it down. We asked for a refund which he did after giving us an attitude. We told him we have a baby with asthma and definitely cannot sleep in moldy/mildew conditions but on top of that you have roaches. That's disgusting. I WOULD NOT STAY HERE. DONT BE FOOLED BY THE PRICE OR IF THE ROOM LOOKS CLEAN. THIS HOTEL IS A NIGHTMARE.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mjallen1308
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2003

Arrived there for three night stay to find that office was closed. Drove 9 hours and was pissed. Tried resolving situation but no one who worked there could speak english or understand my problem. Found other lodging but am very dissappointed about the service I received. Word of advice, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

10 Thank baggio21