“Needs Major Attention”

Motel 6 Newport News
Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
“Needs Major Attention”
Reviewed July 28, 2004

I found the staff to be doing their best to keep this poor representation of the Motel Chain with the catchy slogan afloat. They deserve purple hearts because they are working with a hopeless situation! I don't know if this place can be salvaged or not. I'd almost say tear it down and start all over. The most offensive aspect of the room was the SMELL. Some cheap carpet cleaner with some cheap strawberry fragrance was trying to cover up the fact that these carpets were beyond cleaning!!! My suggestion: Rip up all the carpet (I was afraid to let my little dog walk on it...SERIOUSLY!) The room itself was demeaning. No one who pays for a room, I don't care who they are or what their reasons for staying, should have to stay in a place with furniture that has molding missing and looks like Goodwill would reject it. It was pitiful to see that apparently someone in housekeeping had tried to make the dressing stand or table (I can't remember which) look nice with a cheap little cloth covering the top. There was one bed in the room where there had been two and that bed remained close to the far wall. (It felt as if they got rid of the first bed for some reason we don't want to know). This left a huge open space where the seemingly dirty dark gray carpet was the main focus. It was also evident that the people in housekeeping tried to cheer this place up with light bulbs that were of high wattage. However, this only left the whole situation WORSE. You almost had to squint to avoid the glare. At eleven at night when we arrived, I was tempted to go to Walmart and buy lower wattage light bulbs because we couldn't read or do the paper work we had to do because of the glare when the lights were on and the dismal depressing lighting when we left only one on. The only decent thing about the whole room was the bed. It had clean sheets and surprisingly, a mattress we could sleep on. There were a scant number of towels available and the bathroom had molding that needed repair. We would have checked out immediately, but it was too late that evening and we were concerned about losing our money. When we closed the door to check out the very next day, I noticed that all of the outside doors of this place were badly in need of painting. However, that was the least of the overall repairs that need to be done to this ramshakle motel.

We are not rich people. We have a small business that we're struggling to keep afloat while working full time jobs. When we spend money to get away, it means we have to give up something else. We're used to staying at Motel 6 or others in the two star category. I drove across the country last year staying at such hotels. This one was the worst and no amount of Tom Boudette's reassuring voice on the radio could make me go back to this particular motel.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed July 27, 2004

What a dump! Furniture was cracked, chipped. Bed mattress was 20 years old. Carpet was filthy, probably needed shampooing 6 months ago! And the typical guests?! Drunken rowdies. There was a local police car in the parking lot all night, since most of their calls come from this hotel each day! I think Tom Bodette needs to stay here once!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 9, 2003

Do NOT stay here if you can help it. When we arrived there were bags of garbage outside all over. When we got into our room we were greeted by a very strage chemical-like smell, and dirt on the floor and walls. Also our toilet was not working,so we had to wait for the matinance man to show up, along with many other guests we saw waiting outside their rooms. I usually don't mind Motel 6's, but this is the worst one I'd ever seen. We left about 10 minutes after we checked in, so that's all I can say about it. We went to a Best Western in VA beach that cost about $15 more a night, but it was WELL worth the price difference!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member