“NOT AS ADVERTISED” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Sharpsburg, North Carolina
“NOT AS ADVERTISED”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Although they boast about free wifi and clean rooms, they provide neither. The front desk staff insisted that their router was next to my room but I still wasn't able to connect. Then they asked me to bring my laptop to the front desk and still I was unable to get connected. To make a long story short their router tried to have my computer reconfigure the settings and this created a big problem with my anti-spy ware and anti-virus. The room was not keep up to any standard that deserves more than a failing grade. upon arrival I found hair in the tube and on the rest room floor. I took a picture of them and to my surprise, or not really too surprised , when I returned the next day after work both hairs were still there. When I informed the front desk about the matter I was quickly informed that the housekeeping staff was off work and nothing could be done. Not the response that I was looking for or expected.

Room Tip: chose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank FrankStead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Winchester, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

They must have done major clean up. Both times we were there in two different rooms the rooms were clean. Non-smoking room was just that. When you pay the price they are asking for don't expect a Five Star.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. These other reports were obviously written before they did the improvements. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
3 Thank Calverio
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I hadn't stayed at a Motel 6 in a long time, and I don't think I ever will again, given my experience at Newport News. I wasn't expecting great things with the cheap price. What I was expecting was a clean place to stay--I didn't get it. I read on the website that this motel was supposed to have been "refreshed." I would hate to see a stale Motel 6! My room was supposed to be non-smoking, but it smelled of old smoke and bad air freshener. The carpeting had mysterious spots and hadn't been vacuumed very well. When I took a towel and wiped out the bathtub, there were more mysterious dark spots. The staff seemed overwhelmed when I tried to check in at 5 pm, saying that no rooms were ready yet. The cleaning crew was wheeling their supplies around in Food Lion grocery carts. At sundown, there were sketchy looking people hanging out on the hoods of their cars in the parking lot. Oh, and no alarm clock!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank fws1973
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

As soon as we got there, we noticed a large whole in the wall, from who knows what! The tv was statically, our sink was clogged and there was poop on the bathroom wall and mold! It also smelled like a basement and musky, but that could have been from our bathing suits?...
The pool was nice to take the kids to, but it was rather small. I didn't like how the maids knocked and just came into the rooms. They should wait until we call down to order towels or soap...the maid was helpful and eager to help..the location was okay, there was a nice area to take a short walk. Once I used the vending machine and got animal crackers and m&ms. The m&ms tasted like old, they just turned to chocolate dust in my hand when I crushed them!! My advice would be to stay there only for how long you need to, use the top bolt to close your door, ( I accidentally used my card to open the electric room when I thought it was the vending machine room!) Ha and to wear flip-flops at all times. I wish I'd had a pen to write my review for them but I didn't get the chance! This was a cheap place to stay, but it should atleast be clean and be somewhere where I feel safe..hope they changed the sheets : /

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank yogabbagabba10
Orange Park/FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I was taking my husband to VA for his AIT. (He's in the Army) So we decited to stay at this hotel because it was only $36 a night. It was gross! The room was suppose to be "smoke free" but it smelt so bad of smoke, and lack of cleanliness. The bathroom was another story. The towels were dirty, and bathroom looked like it never been cleaned once! Not to mention we had loud neighbors, and we felt it was a little too ghetto for us. It gave us an unsafe feeling. I recommend you don't stay there. I could have paid an extra $10 to stay the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Caityleigh92
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

This room had zero amenities but was extremely inexpensive. Seriously, I've paid more for a night at several different campgrounds than I did here. Think of this place as a youth hostel with sheets on the bed and towels in the bathroom, and maybe you'll be happy. No soap, no shampoo, no kleenex, and insufficient toilet paper for 2 people for 1 night when we checked in, but the front desk cheerfully provided additional toilet paper when I asked (I had to go get it, of course). There is a freight train across the street which blows its whistle as it passes through every couple of hours, including at night, although all patrons at all the nearby hotels need to contend with that. Although the motel office was heavy with smoke from the obviously smoker owners, our non-smoking room had no trace of smoke or pet odor. The shower stall (no bathtub) had a light in it which was helpful. The water took ages to heat up. The bathroom was clean in that college dorm-y "it's clean if you don't look too closely" way. The bedspread had a suspicious stain on it, but I think bedspreads are suspect in hotels in every price range. The door to our room had a space at the bottom which let in light, sound (like the train whistle), and cold air; we heard no sirens or rowdies and did hear children running around the next morning, which made us feel safer than we had the night before. WiFi is available for an extra charge, but only a few of the rooms are in range of it, so if you want WiFi, you have to request it in advance so they can give you one of those rooms.

We were traveling with extended family for a funeral, and each family group was charged $25 per night plus taxes for their room. The front staff was very nice and offered condolences and grouped our rooms near each other. I would have been dissatisfied paying more, but for the price, and for the amount of time I actually spent in the room, I felt it was a good value. We used the money we saved to stay in a hotel a couple grades up during our drive back to Boston the next night, and still our average price per night for the trip was under $50.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BostonDiner
Richmond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

My friend and I stayed in this Motel 6 for 1 night (too long!) We knew we were getting a budget room, but we weren't expecting it to be filthy and disgusting! Our room was gross! The carpet hadn't been vacuumed and was just really dirty. We didn't even take our shoes off the whole time! The bathroom was also disgusting and dirty. We found a piece of a condom wrapper on the floor of the bathroom. I recommend wearing flip flops if you're going to attempt to take a shower. Also, be prepared for no hair dryer or frige. The place was so dirty, we even checked the beds for bed bugs. Surprisingly, we didn't find any (this time). This place was not worth the $85! Stay away!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends