“Surprise Find”

Chic N Fish
Ranked #44 of 464 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Excellent wings with variety of flavors. I chose the hot and spicy and they were, while my wife had the soy and garlic. Both of us enjoyed the lunch. Found this restaurant only because of TripAdvisor reviews. Never would have looked in this small strip center. The proprietors are a nice couple who provided recommendations and good service. When we ordered, we were told that the drumsticks Korean style would take about 45 min and the wings 25 min. The menu advised 30 min. cooking time for Korean fried chicken and it makes sense that drumsticks would take longer than wings. The decor is pleasant enough for a narrow site. This seems to be a popular, but not overcrowded lunch spot.

1  Thank Alan C

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have eaten here several times with my boyfriend, mostly takeout. The food never disappoints just as I said in my first review of this place, but I notice reviewers only saying great things about the chicken, but what about the FISH???

It's awesome; beyond awesome. I usually get the crabcakes if we a don't get a large order of Korean Fried Chicken. Really flavorful, only breaded on the exterior and includes bits of fresh scallions added to the seasoning, 9.95 for 3 crabcakes and sides. Always fresh out of the fryer. (I rarely even bother with the tartar sauce, they're so good alone.)

I worked in a restaurant frying crabcakes on the York River for three years straight, so I was tired of even being around them. Well, my life has changed since I ate these.

We did try the seafood platter and the salmon steak platter on seperate recent visit-- Shrimp and scallops were a bit dry, but both kinds of white fish were flakey and delicious.
The salmon was the only disappointment, I didn't expect the salmon to already be sauced, but it was, and too much. The salmon was very salty and overpowered by soy sauce, but the veggies with it were great. I won't be getting this dish again...I don't prefer salmon prepared with Asian sauce flavors anyway, it could have been my personal taste.

The onion rings are breaded in panko and are gigantic! Mac and cheese is HOMEMADE, really cheesy with white and yellow cheddar cheeses, milk and butter. Hence the 3.95 pricetag, and so worth it. It's really the only "pricey" item on their menu when you consider the value--Extra sides of housemade sauces and kimchi offered, the fresh products, all prepared and properly cooked-- I really love this place for the value of the food...other places should follow suit.

The fried seafood and O-rings weren't at all greasy, so we were able to eat quite a bit. I recommend this restaurant for everything it offers. Especially the quality of the fish.

***If you order steamed rice make sure you try the sauce they offer you with it! Garlic, soy, and ginger but it's soooo good and you only need a hint of it. (The owners emphasize 'only a little!') The aroma is fantastic and they're right, a little goes a long way. I can't figure out the secret in it. This is the one thing we ALWAYS order. Rice with this amazing sauce.***

3  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I rate the deliciousness of the food 5 stars. It's great tasting food. I particularly like the owner stopping by your table to determine if everything is fine and ready to fix any problem. I rated my visit 4 stars because I prefer to have the carryout waiting area physically separated by a partition, at minimum, from the dining room. I like cozy when I dine in; however, this area configuration is not a deal breaker. I will patronize this resaturant the next time I'm in the area.

1  Thank Erastus353
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My Husband and I discovered this little dive place recently. I had the best wings ever. They have a wing called I think the ginger/garlic wing. SOOOO good. My Husband had the spicy wings and loved them. The Owners are very friendly and very accommodating. The prices are good and we would highly recommend this place.

2  Thank Flyaway0921
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The most awesome fried chicken I have ever had, even after growing up in my grandmother's Southern home.
I had the Korean Fried Chicken 4 drums 7 wings (and a side of pickled radish)-- So fantastic!!! My boyfriend had their Fried Seafood platter and all the fish were fresh and clearly breaded to order. The scallops were divine, and we were skeptical before we ordered. The crabcake was also tasty and well seasoned, we didn't even use the tartar sauce. Shrimp--Butterflied and DEVAINED (thank you, Chic N Fish cooks). Hush puppies were good, dense but still yummy.
We shared everything. With a side of rice to accompany the rest, this was an excellent meal, and we will be FREQUENT customers. The prices really are wallet-friendly, especially for dinner. Just go eat there, at least try their Korean Fried Chicken and then click this as the most helpful review EVER. Your taste buds will thank me!!

Side note: The woman that owns the restaurant offers her homemade kimchi if you ask! They also gave me a delicious ginger garlic sauce and was told it would be perfect on the rice. I wanted to just drink it; it was so amazing.

1  Thank Sarah C