“Good Food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Salsa's Mexican Grill
Ranked #51 of 453 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newport News, United States
“Good Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

The waiter brought out the wrong order and added an ingredient that I specifically said not to add to my order. I am from S.A. Texas originally, and when I order Mexican cuisine, I want it to be right!!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Arthur A

State College, Pennsylvania
“They fit us in!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our tennis team had another delicious meal after a tough day of play in high heat and humidity. While they weren't set-up for large groups, they did make arrangements for our group of 12 right in the heart of the restaurant. Our server was very conscientious and explained menus to those who needed more information. The prices were reasonable and there was decent atmosphere. The bar area is quite small, but there is plenty of seating in the restaurant. This was another very short walk from the hotel.

Visited July 2014
Virginia Beach
“Average mexican fare and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Visited for a Friday night dinner while staying at the Marriot City center. Decided to sit outside in small area on sidewalk since wonderful weather and nice breeze. Enjoyed watching all the people visiting City Center for Friday music by the Fountain. Initially after being seated we waited for around ten minutes and nobody came to take our order. Usually these Mexican places have someone dropping off chips and salsa immediately, not here. Got up and asked another waitress who was our server and someone came over. The tortilla chips were nothing special and only came with salsa no white sauce. We weren't provided a drink menu and were in the mood for a margarita or something so had to ask the server. She was little to no help so we picked standard drinks we had had elsewhere. The menu had most of the typical Mexican restaurant choices but the chef specials seemed interesting and at least added to the choices. I had the Texas fajitas with beef, chicken and shrimp, it was good but similar to other places. My wife had a shrimp salad and she said it was good but nothing special. Service after the poor start was average, had to wait quite a while to get our check once we told her we were finished. When visiting City Center in the future I will probably try another restaurant but if your looking for average Mexican fare this is your place. I've been to many Mexican restaurants that just do it better and more authentic.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank geoffdogdoc
Newport News, Virginia
“Solid Mexican Spot ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

My son and were visiting City center and I had a coupon so hey. Service was good, we didn't have to wait long at all. I ordered the carne asada because I'm from San Diego (the best carne asada on the planet!). My steak was tender and my tortillas warm. The guacamole salad complemented the dish well, I just wanted more guacamole with less lettuce lol. My son ordered the chicken fingers and fries. The chicken was fresh and came from a whole chicken breast. I would stop again if I was in the area. Not even close to beating San Diego on the carne asada tho!

Hampton, Virginia
“Ok Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

There are so man Mexican options around so its often hard to choose which one to go to. Each one has its pros and cons, but this is one is your typical spot. I like the atmosphere at this location, but the food is average at best. The salsa is actually pretty good, but the remainder of the food is like cheap food in an improved atmosphere in comparison to the competition.

• Visited January 2014