“It was a good experience the people were very friendly...”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Newport News

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cortez, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very comfortable, with a decent size room with two queen beds. I have never slept better in any motel room, tempurpedic mattress was great. The price was very good and the overall security and cleanliness was a bonus. I would stay here again definitley!!!

Room Tip: No pool or restaurant on property, plenty of restaurants nearby. Who needs a pool, we had the whole...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Patrick P, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest:

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 757 249 8355.

Patrick Patel
Microtel Inn & Suites Newport News
Upper Dublin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My family and I took an eight-day vacation to the Busch Gardens/Williamsburg area. We stayed here three nights from 8/17 through 8/20. I picked this place 12 miles down I-64 from Busch Gardens based on my prior experience with Microtel in 2011. We were not at all disappointed that we stayed here.

It's conveniently located just two lights away from Exit 255A on SB I-64. At about half the price of other hotels in the immediate Williamsburg area, the Microtel in Newport News is an excellent value considering that it's only a 15-20 minute drive to Busch Gardens, Water Country USA and Colonial Williamsburg. Plus, it's 15 minutes closer to Virginia beach than Williamsburg hotels.

Within a short walk of one or two blocks there are a number of national chain restaurant's such as Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, Waffle House, Wendy's, and McDonald's plus a number of nice local restaurants, and directly across Rt 143 - Jefferson Ave, there is a large mall, Patrick Henry. The area is generally suburban with easy access to rent-a-car, auto service centers, dry-cleaners and the like.

Check-in went smoothly. Since I had made a reservation in advance it took only a couple of minutes to get the room keys even though we arrived after 10:00 p.m. They have two baggage carts available for clients.

When we arrived I was told that the hotel was fully booked. Accordingly I thought that the place might be noisy, yet even with so many people staying there plus having a first floor room the place was quiet.

The rooms are very clean. The cleaning staff we met, who may be related to the manager, were polite and courteous. Sheets as well as towels were changed every day. The room was nicely vacuumed and cleaned daily. The bathroom, toilet, sink and shower are clean, and stocked with four complete sets of fresh towels, soap and shampoo daily. The queen-sized beds are very comfortable. The a/c, refrigerator, phone, flat-panel TV and microwave all worked fine without any problems.

The free breakfast of bagels, toast, hot and cold cereals and waffles was adequate considering that we only used it one time; the other days we went to a nearby Cracker Barrel less than two blocks away.

While staying here my car had a breakdown - the starter motor died. The manager, Patrick Patel, most graciously saw to it that I got a ride to the Enterprise rent-a-car at the nearby Newport News airport and was most helpful in other occasions including granting a later departure time to allow me to return the rental car while mine was undergoing service at the local Ford dealer.

For the past six summers we have been staying at a nearby hotel on Warwick Blvd in Newport News, but owing to the superior quality of this Microtel, for only $7 to $10 a night more we're planning on staying here on future trips to Busch Gardens/Colonial Williamsburg.

Our three-night stay came to only $155 including the outrageously high combined Virginia/Newport News room taxes.

We're already looking forward to staying here again next summer.

Room Tip: If you know you're going to stay here for vacation, book well in advance to lock in a low rate...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family