I am sadly disappointed in my stay at Microtel for several reasons.
1) First and foremost, I am very disturbed that Pest Control (along with a hotel employee) knocked at my door and were letting themselves in the room. I was asleep with the television on (to kill the noise) so I didn't hear them til they were starting to open the door. Thankfully, I had the latch over the door. Otherwise, they would have just let themselves right on in.
2) Either you're smelling the smell of whatever is in the room (fruity-smelling cleanser to cover smoke, mold smell in the bathroom) or you open your window to let fresh air come in the room and attempt to air it out. Well, that doesn't work. Because people stand outside smoking and it fills the room. It would have been more considerate if they were to stand outside on the ends of the hotel where there are no hotel windows that can be opened.
3) We had a pretty heavy rain during one of the days I was staying here. During the day that it rained, there was water leaking in the window sill. (No worries, the windows were closed.) I had to put a towel down so it didn't soak my belongings.
4) Upon checking in, I was looking for the luggage cart. (I typically do not use one, but on this particular day, I was very exhausted and not feeling well.) After taking several loads up the elevator, thankfully, I still looked around for the cart. It was being used by an employee hotel to haul stuff around. I understand the need for using it, but if you knew there were a ton of people just checking in, it would be professional courtesy to offer it to them first.
5) Maybe it was because I was not feeling well, but upon checking in there was a very obnoxious "guest" I'm assuming, in the lobby, on the cell phone, extremely loud. It was disturbing to me. However, after being here for a quite a few days, it appears there are quite a few people who linger in the small hotel lobby, (on the internet, at the table, or watching tv) I guess I've never encountered this before. I don't know if they are guests or are locals.
6) And lastly, the water pressure in the shower was very low. The hot water was lukewarm. And the handle on the bathtub was all out-of-sorts.
The only thing that was good about this stay was the price. I paid $36/night with a special offer from Wyndham. I didn't try the breakfast, so I can't comment on this. I am thankful that most days I was gone until evening, to avoid being in the hotel the entire day.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Microtel Inn Newport News Hotel Newport News
- Microtel Hotel Newport News
- Microtel Newport News
- Newport News Microtel