“Sadly disappointed”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I am sadly disappointed in my stay at Microtel for several reasons.

1) First and foremost, I am very disturbed that Pest Control (along with a hotel employee) knocked at my door and were letting themselves in the room. I was asleep with the television on (to kill the noise) so I didn't hear them til they were starting to open the door. Thankfully, I had the latch over the door. Otherwise, they would have just let themselves right on in.

2) Either you're smelling the smell of whatever is in the room (fruity-smelling cleanser to cover smoke, mold smell in the bathroom) or you open your window to let fresh air come in the room and attempt to air it out. Well, that doesn't work. Because people stand outside smoking and it fills the room. It would have been more considerate if they were to stand outside on the ends of the hotel where there are no hotel windows that can be opened.

3) We had a pretty heavy rain during one of the days I was staying here. During the day that it rained, there was water leaking in the window sill. (No worries, the windows were closed.) I had to put a towel down so it didn't soak my belongings.

4) Upon checking in, I was looking for the luggage cart. (I typically do not use one, but on this particular day, I was very exhausted and not feeling well.) After taking several loads up the elevator, thankfully, I still looked around for the cart. It was being used by an employee hotel to haul stuff around. I understand the need for using it, but if you knew there were a ton of people just checking in, it would be professional courtesy to offer it to them first.

5) Maybe it was because I was not feeling well, but upon checking in there was a very obnoxious "guest" I'm assuming, in the lobby, on the cell phone, extremely loud. It was disturbing to me. However, after being here for a quite a few days, it appears there are quite a few people who linger in the small hotel lobby, (on the internet, at the table, or watching tv) I guess I've never encountered this before. I don't know if they are guests or are locals.

6) And lastly, the water pressure in the shower was very low. The hot water was lukewarm. And the handle on the bathtub was all out-of-sorts.

The only thing that was good about this stay was the price. I paid $36/night with a special offer from Wyndham. I didn't try the breakfast, so I can't comment on this. I am thankful that most days I was gone until evening, to avoid being in the hotel the entire day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Patrick P, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 757 249 8355.

Microtel Inn & Suites Newport News

There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Because of the heavy rain I decided to stop in newport news,va for one night stay, when I look online the cheapest hotel was microtel inn and I knew i just want to sleep so i didnt bother to look for any other or upper scale hotels. The room was clean and beds were comfortable, I have no problem during my stay. The only drawback I want to share is because all the microtels are same across the country the room is little small. I would stay here again if I visit newport news,va.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 757 249 8355.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during my stay here in Newport News for business. When I arrived the guy at the desk was very friendly and polite greeted me and checked me in. He even was nice enough to tell me breakfast hours and the password for the internet and showed me to my room. I dont remember what his name was but he was a big guy with tattoos I think his name was Keith. Anyways my stay was pretty good I had no complaints intill I called the front desk and asked what food places delivered. She had the nerve to ask me to buy her food are you kidding me what kind of employee asks a guest to buy them food. Horrible customer service and shes lucky I didnt tell the manager cause Im sure she would be fired her name was Michelle and If you stay there dont tell her your ordering food

• Stayed: January 2013
Patrick P, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Reviewed January 10, 2013