“Experience did not match the good reviews”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Experience did not match the good reviews”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

After staying here for one night in July I had to come back to tripadvisor and make sure the hotel we stayed in was indeed the same one reviewed here. I booked after reading the reviews, but our experience did not match with the numerous glowing reviews on this site. When we arrived to check in I asked the desk if they have a AAA rate. I had booked through the website but did not have my AAA number at the time. I was told that they do have a AAA discount but because I booked through the web (directly through the Microtel site, not a 3rd party) they could not honor the discount and change the rate I would be charged.

We went down the hall to our room and as soon as we opened the door a horrible musty smell hit us in the face. I immediately opened the window to try to air out the room. However, we arrived rather late and we were on the first floor so could not leave the window open long before going to sleep. Unfortunately it did nothing to help the smell in the room. I honestly worried that we were going to all get ill from mold spores in the room, although fortunately this did not happen.

The carpets were very dirty and I refused to let anyone in my family walk on the floors without shoes on. In the bathroom there was a sink but no vanity. The only area to put toiletries was a small shelf above the sink. After putting our 4 toothbrush cases and a tube of toothpaste on the shelf there was no room in the bathroom to sit anything else. Since the edges of the sink were sloped you couldn't even sit anything there. Bring your own shampoo as I used literally half the bottle to try and later my shortish hair in the shower. Also, I am a rather petite person but the towels just barely wrapped around my body. I'm sure that most people can't wrap in a towel after showering because of the tiny size of them.

One of the worst parts was the placement of the one bed by the air conditioner. The AC unit was against the outside wall and the nearest bed was only 1-2 feet from that unit. When laying on the bed the air blew directly onto the people laying on the bed. I had to take a comforter (which we immediately removed from the beds upon arrival) and place it over the top of the vent to try and direct the air down and away from the bed. That quickly made the room uncomfortable so the option was to have no air or freeze all night.

The continental breakfast was standard bagel and muffin fare. They did have one waffle iron. The glaring missing aspect of the breakfast was fresh fruit of any sort. No bananas, apples, etc...

I will say that the beds were free of bugs and the mattresses of decent quality. That was the one redeeming aspect of the room, but all of us quickly decided we will never stay there again and were glad to leave less than 12 hours after we arrived.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
buffalo ny
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Pleasent,helpfull,caring,clean and great atmosphere. Price fair,food good, and comfortable rooms. When I travel I will look for a Microtel. Patrick Patel, manager, has excellent skills, a man of his word. Thank You!

Room Tip: second floor quiet
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I love Microtel Inn since 1997. I like how Microtel Inn in Newport News has step up for the Hampton Roads area. I like free continental breakfast, wi-fi, and clean rooms better than Motel 6. This is my first Microtel in Newport News as of this year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2012

freshly painted walls, hot breakfast, accommodating staff.
my first thoughts of this motel were "get out" but after a actual human wake up call i was impressed. sheets clean, no bugs...A\C WORKED great i will stay every time

Room Tip: any double bed room will work there is a extra bed in the window for napping...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dan S
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I booked my stay with a 3rd party. I chose Microtel Inn because of the previous reviews, location and price... it seemed like the ideal place to stay. UNTIL I spoke with Patrick to update my reservation to a double bed opposed to the queen I was booked for. I let him know my conversation with the previous front desk clerk (last week). That person was nice and seemed eager to help resolve my issue. He told me that they could not do a roll out bed because of the fire hazard, but if there were rooms available, it would cost me about $5/day more. But Patrick said it would be $10/day more. So asked if there was a possibility I could talk to the other clerk or speak to a manager to see if the original option was still available. He said with an attitude, he was the general manager. That is when his whole tone changed with me. He said, "Are you calling me a liar?" I said, "of course not... how would you lie to me if this is my first time talking to you." He went on to say he could cancel my reservation right then, because he did not want me coming to his hotel and cause problems. I don’t know where this was coming from. I ended our conversation right then. I did not change my tone and simply told him I would call the 3rd party and to the corporate office for them to help me.

When we hung up... without my knowledge he tried to cancel my reservation without telling me! He did not call and tell me... the 3rd party called and said Patrick was trying to cancel my reservation because I did not want to pay the extra money... which was not true. I immediately called the corp ofc to let them know he tried to cancel my reservation when I was either going to stay in the room or see if a reasonable person could tell me about the availability.

The corp ofc rep today told me he sent in notes saying I called the 3RD PARTY AND THE HOTEL crazy.... That was not the truth... the whole conversation with HIM was crazy. What I say to him was you are acting crazy for no reason. If he does that to anyone else, be sure to file a complaint with the corp office. He needs to be talked to. Luckily, I have found a different hotel for next week and my vacation will go on as planned. I paid the extra money that he said I did not want to pay and I am happy about it. Please beware and safe travels to you...

1 Thank Wright5047
Woodville, Mississippi
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was the worst experience I ever had with a hotel/motel. I have stayed in many Microtel Inn throughout the U.S. I booked my reservations based on the reviews at this locations and experiences at the other locations. Plus, the courtesy of the staff when I called before making the final decisions. I thought I had a great deal for the price of two rooms from 6/30 - 7/2.

Boy! I was dead wrong. I walked and immediately noticed the dirt in the lobby from the ceiling to the floor even the furniture. The lobby furniture looked like it was recycled from the dumpster. I was very uneasy about the reservations, so I asked the front desk clerk if I may look at the rooms. Both rooms were dirty. One room had food in the refrigerator. I will never forget the smell. Also, in this particular room the bathroom was not clean. I checked the other room. OMG! As soon as I walked in, I saw a big black reddish (looked like old blood) stain on the side of the mattress. The carpet was nasty. The rooms look like they haven't been clean in weeks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

1 Thank C_DA_World376
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We just returned home from staying here over the fourth of July break and I am 100% satisfied. Here is my story...
I called the hotel before I made my reservation online and the gentleman that answered the phone was very polite while answering my questions. I made it to the hotel about 5pm on July 4th. This hotel is in a great location across the street from Patrick Henry Mall in a quiet area. There is an Applebee's within walking distance also in the general area is a TGIFridays, Subway, Wendy's, and my all-time favorite restaurant Cheddar's plus many more.

Check-in was quick and the lady behind the front desk was also very cordial. I went to the room and was presently surprised on how clean the hotel is kept. (my husband thinks you cant get a decent hotel for under $150 a night) Well, this hotel showed him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The beds were comfortable and the room was stocked with plenty of towels, washcloths, and hand towels. There is a breakfast included in the room cost which included cereal, muffins, toast, coffee, OJ, apple juice and make your own waffles (its not the best I've had, but I am not complaining for the price we paid!!!!!!!!!)

This is not a 5 star resort so don't expect that but if your looking for a clean, VERY CLEAN room to crash in while exploring the Newport News or Williamsburg area THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!!!!!

(We went to Busch Gardens and Water Country and it only took us about 17 minutes to get there and for the price, it was worth driving a little)

All of the staff members I encountered were so nice and made the place very welcoming and that aspect of the trip made my experience so much better.

What are you waiting for?????????????????????????? STOP READING..... AND Book this hotel TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!