“perfect spot for a budget”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport
Ranked #20 of 40 Hotels in Newport News
Reviewed August 2, 2012

freshly painted walls, hot breakfast, accommodating staff.
my first thoughts of this motel were "get out" but after a actual human wake up call i was impressed. sheets clean, no bugs...A\C WORKED great i will stay every time

Room Tip: any double bed room will work there is a extra bed in the window for napping...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dan S

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I booked my stay with a 3rd party. I chose Microtel Inn because of the previous reviews, location and price... it seemed like the ideal place to stay. UNTIL I spoke with Patrick to update my reservation to a double bed opposed to the queen I was booked for. I let him know my conversation with the previous front desk clerk (last week). That person was nice and seemed eager to help resolve my issue. He told me that they could not do a roll out bed because of the fire hazard, but if there were rooms available, it would cost me about $5/day more. But Patrick said it would be $10/day more. So asked if there was a possibility I could talk to the other clerk or speak to a manager to see if the original option was still available. He said with an attitude, he was the general manager. That is when his whole tone changed with me. He said, "Are you calling me a liar?" I said, "of course not... how would you lie to me if this is my first time talking to you." He went on to say he could cancel my reservation right then, because he did not want me coming to his hotel and cause problems. I don’t know where this was coming from. I ended our conversation right then. I did not change my tone and simply told him I would call the 3rd party and to the corporate office for them to help me.

When we hung up... without my knowledge he tried to cancel my reservation without telling me! He did not call and tell me... the 3rd party called and said Patrick was trying to cancel my reservation because I did not want to pay the extra money... which was not true. I immediately called the corp ofc to let them know he tried to cancel my reservation when I was either going to stay in the room or see if a reasonable person could tell me about the availability.

The corp ofc rep today told me he sent in notes saying I called the 3RD PARTY AND THE HOTEL crazy.... That was not the truth... the whole conversation with HIM was crazy. What I say to him was you are acting crazy for no reason. If he does that to anyone else, be sure to file a complaint with the corp office. He needs to be talked to. Luckily, I have found a different hotel for next week and my vacation will go on as planned. I paid the extra money that he said I did not want to pay and I am happy about it. Please beware and safe travels to you...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wright5047
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was the worst experience I ever had with a hotel/motel. I have stayed in many Microtel Inn throughout the U.S. I booked my reservations based on the reviews at this locations and experiences at the other locations. Plus, the courtesy of the staff when I called before making the final decisions. I thought I had a great deal for the price of two rooms from 6/30 - 7/2.

Boy! I was dead wrong. I walked and immediately noticed the dirt in the lobby from the ceiling to the floor even the furniture. The lobby furniture looked like it was recycled from the dumpster. I was very uneasy about the reservations, so I asked the front desk clerk if I may look at the rooms. Both rooms were dirty. One room had food in the refrigerator. I will never forget the smell. Also, in this particular room the bathroom was not clean. I checked the other room. OMG! As soon as I walked in, I saw a big black reddish (looked like old blood) stain on the side of the mattress. The carpet was nasty. The rooms look like they haven't been clean in weeks.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
1  Thank C_DA_World376
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We just returned home from staying here over the fourth of July break and I am 100% satisfied. Here is my story...
I called the hotel before I made my reservation online and the gentleman that answered the phone was very polite while answering my questions. I made it to the hotel about 5pm on July 4th. This hotel is in a great location across the street from Patrick Henry Mall in a quiet area. There is an Applebee's within walking distance also in the general area is a TGIFridays, Subway, Wendy's, and my all-time favorite restaurant Cheddar's plus many more.

Check-in was quick and the lady behind the front desk was also very cordial. I went to the room and was presently surprised on how clean the hotel is kept. (my husband thinks you cant get a decent hotel for under $150 a night) Well, this hotel showed him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The beds were comfortable and the room was stocked with plenty of towels, washcloths, and hand towels. There is a breakfast included in the room cost which included cereal, muffins, toast, coffee, OJ, apple juice and make your own waffles (its not the best I've had, but I am not complaining for the price we paid!!!!!!!!!)

This is not a 5 star resort so don't expect that but if your looking for a clean, VERY CLEAN room to crash in while exploring the Newport News or Williamsburg area THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!!!!!

(We went to Busch Gardens and Water Country and it only took us about 17 minutes to get there and for the price, it was worth driving a little)

All of the staff members I encountered were so nice and made the place very welcoming and that aspect of the trip made my experience so much better.

What are you waiting for?????????????????????????? STOP READING..... AND Book this hotel TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stay at this hotel for three weeks while I was doing summer school, all the hotel workers were very kind and took interest in their residents. They always said good morning and asked how my day wa at night. They were probably the best hotel workers I have ever come accross and was cooperative and willing to help me out

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Arrived on Friday night with a reservation and the hotel was sold out. At 11:15pm I called the front desk to advise the clock was broken in my room. In 5 minutes I had a new clock. The room is small but was very clean and the mattress on the bed was new and very comfortable. Room came with a refrigerator and microwave and there was 24 hour coffee in the lobby. I found the room to be very quiet.

The hotel is located in a safe area of Newport News. The breakfast was ok, the bare minimum but it stayed stocked all morning. If your looking for an inexpensive hotel with a comfortable bed, a quiet night and a room that is clean and an extra star.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MontanaRS
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times before but tonight was my worst stay ever, 2:00 am and laughter banging on the wall doors slaming,called front desk got quite for a while but not long they started right back up shortly after they were told to quite down I have stayed at this hotel before I come to va quite often to vist my son I think tonight will be my last stay here they need better security considered calling the police at one time, you can best believe tonight is my last time staying here horrible night on the second floor so much noise coming from room 209

Stayed: May 2012