“Extremely Disappointed”

Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Baltimore, Maryland
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Although it had been some time since my last visit (approx. 5 yrs.) I was sorely dissappointed with the standard of cleanliness in the hotel. Our room had a moldy smell, the telephone didn't work, we later discovered that the window screen had been bent and the window itself had been tanpered with and would not lock. After being moved to another room we had problems with not having hot water, the room carpet throughout the hotel was dirty a was in desperate need of cleaning. Safety was a concern as the doors never locked; in the past they locked after a certain time and you needed your key card to reenter. Lots of people hanging around in the parking lot and outside the building past 1 a.m. Although we made the best of the situation, we didn't spend too much time in the room, overall based on this weekends experience I will not be revisiting unless some major changes are made.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank paboyd4455

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Stayed 2 nights on a weekend. Check-in was easy and staff was very pleasant. When we arrived in our room, we found it to be fresh and clean. It appeared that the carpet had been freshly shampooed or recently replaced. Of course, the rooms were small...to be expected. For the rest of our stay, the staff called us by name, a very nice touch. The continental breakfast was adequate, just wished it had some fresh fruit available. It was convenient to shopping and restaurants and in a safe area. I would return if we ever have need to stay in Newport News again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank catmang
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Came in very late on a Saturday night. Front desk clerk checked us in quickly. Room was very clean and quiet. We slept great.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 93_zj
Va
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed here for 4 days 3 nights, and will NEVER I MEAN NEVER stay here agasin. Where do I start, first off went I got to the hotel there was nobody at the desk and no what of noeing them that somebody was tryn to checking. Once I walked around I found the workers outside in the back smoking. The room was frezzing went I got in and told 1 hour to heat up. The next day housekeeping was very unpleant and went you asked her to do or fosomething she had a nasty attiuide and thats how they all acted own whole stay. Every time I used my room key they had to activte it over 20. This hotel was one of own favorite, because it was cheap and ok. But no anymore.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
GMMicrotelNN, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
On behalf of our entire staff, let me first state that I apologize for any inconvenience that you may have incurred at this hotel. It is certainly not within the content of character for our staff, our values, or our business practices. Allow me to announce that we are officially under new management, and at your convenience feel free to contact the hotel so that we can discuss your stay in greater detail. I believe that we can reach a resolution for the issues you may have faced several months ago, and we would love to welcome you back to our hotel in the future. Thanks again for your time and feedback as it is greatly appreciated.

Microtel Inn & Suites Newport News
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I booked two rooms for very good friends from New Zealand. The two couples had been traveling for a couple of weeks and had been in many different hotels. Both couples were very pleased with the cleanliness, friendliness and value of the rooms. Thank you for helping me make someone elses time in Newport New memorable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
ma
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We chose this hotel as we were flying in and out of Newport news on our way to VA beach. The price seemed good for what we were looking for. Our 1st night we arrived at 11pm. The woman at the desk was very helpful, however when we got into our room the AC was not on and the room was hot! After a long flight and it still being 88 out it was miserable. It took the room 1 hour to cool down. The 2nd time we stayed was the night before out flight left. Upon arrival everything seemed fine until about 10pm when the floor we were on turned into party central. Loud music, people running thru the corridors, doors slamming. This continued allnight. We had to leave the room at 4am for our flight and the music was still blaring. When we checked out the woman at the desk asked how our night was. I said terrible, do you not hear the music and see the people running thru the halls on your security camera. Her response was "oh you should have said something I would have asked them to quiet down!" I was so furious I immediately emailed the hotel to tell them and was promised someone would call me by 8/20. Well no one has called. It is not worth the price. But I guess you get what you pay for. I have learned my lesson! I do have to say on a positive the hotel was clean.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rysa0205
Miami, FL
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I chose this property because I got an amazing rate from hotels.com ($38.53 per night plus a free reward night from hotels.com). That price cannot be beat! The hotel seems relatively new and is in decent shape. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived because I expected it to be a dump (based on the price and from some previous reviews). Check in was quick and easy and I got a room on the first floor (123) which was nice because I was able to get where I had to go without worrying about the elevator or the stairs. The room was pretty small but was comfortable enough. The wireless internet worked fine and the TV, although strangely placed, received a lot of stations (including HBO). The room was clean and convenient. The heat is rather odd because it's either "on" or "off" (no "auto feature"). If I left it on, the room became stifling hot. I turned it off at night when I went to sleep and woke up cold. The continental breakfast is pretty poor, but I only went for the coffee, which was horrible. I ended up going out for coffee most days. They did give me a little fridge (at no extra charge), so that was good. The odd thing is that there were a few people here who didn't seem to belong here. The hotel is in a pretty good area but I saw a guy sleeping in the lobby one day (see photo). I don't know if he works here, but he certainly did not seem to be a guest. And no one made any effort to wake him. On my 3rd day, I came in and saw some ugly stains on the hall wallpaper, which looked suspiciously like blood (see photo). The hotel seems to have no security at all. The only employee I ever saw (except for the morning housekeeper) was the person at the front desk. I never felt endangered or threatened, but the hotel needs to be more careful with their security. I am afraid something WILL eventually happen, and that would be terrible. Overall, I do recommend the hotel based on the room and the value for the price paid. It certainly isn't an upscale hotel but it is far better than a place like an "Econo Lodge". Make sure to ask for a room on the first floor. It is really easy to get in and out.

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank timbolester
MicrotelMgr, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Newport News Airport, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I have reviewed our records, and each issue you had. The clerk is a tall gentleman, so he was leaning on the counter so he will be able to see the computer without leaning. We accommodate several construction companies, as the gentleman sleeping in the lobby, who wait to be picked up. I appreciate your time and look forward to accommodating you again.