“A Bar, with food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Toby Keith's Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Toby Keith's Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Williamsburg
“A Bar, with food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've looked at all of the previous reviews and the majority of them are reviewing this place as though it is Carrabba's, or your classy date night restaurant. This place is a BAR first (and yes, I'm familiar it's named after a song) and a GRILL second. In addition, it's a BAR...do you often take your children to a BAR and expect it to be Chuckie Cheese's? Basically, this is a BAR, that serves food. I'm not going to sit and bash other peoples reviews, however, I feel that there is some common sense that should be brought to light here, rather than just bashing a place that perhaps wouldn't have been a good idea to bring your children to in the first place.

One rule of thumb I feel is good for parents to go by is: If the restaurant does not have a kids section on the menu, it would be a clear indication that their restaurant is not geared towards children.

That being said, No, it's probably not a place to bring your children if you feel that short shorts and tight shirts are going to be inappropriate. After all, it is a BAR.This is basically the same dress style as Hooters, so I'm not sure why this is such a shock. My suggestion would be for the parents to visit the BAR before deciding to bring their children. Or, once inside the doors, the moment that you noticed this was probably not suitable attire or a suitable location for their children to feast on chicken fingers and macaroni and cheese, they could choose to go to elsewhere. I don't see it fair to bash the restaurant with a low rating and negative review for this, because they didn't force you to bring your children and/or force you to stay once you arrived, nor did they advertise it as a "kid friendly" establishment or hint it to be that in any way.

The inside of the bar is rather "open" with lots of space. The bar is located right in the middle of the room. The tables are mainly seated around the outer parts of the room. There is a stage area and an open area for when they have shows. There is also a room in the corner off the stage, which has clear glass windows around it, which I believe is there for private parties. On my visit, the staff were friendly and attentive. As for the food that I've had: the Nachos are huge, piled high and tasty, and the Chili con Queso was also very good. The liquor drinks are made nicely and the beer is cold. There were numerous people taking part in checking on us and bringing us food while my family and I were there. They weren't too busy at the time I was there, so there was no waiting involved, however, I wouldn't plan on going there for a Friday or Saturday night dinner and expecting not to wait, but then again, I would choose to go here for the bar atmosphere anyways, not to sit and enjoy a complete dinner anyways. Their prices are a little bit high for some of the entrees, however, that comes with the territory of being located in City Center. The appetizer prices and drink prices are pretty much on par with other bars around.

Overall I was very satisfied with my visit. A major issue in my opinion, is that this location, in City Center, is one of the nicer, if not the nicest areas in Newport News. Due to that, this area attracts a lot of people that want to get away from the old areas or run down areas of Newport News. I feel that this bar would have fared well in a location similar to where PBR and Luckies are. City Center seems to be more appealing to people looking for what Red Star Tavern was. A more mellow type, shirt and tie kind of place where coworkers and bosses come to enjoy happy hour after a long day. City Center just seems to be an odd fit for a Toby Keith's, based on the crowd that frequents this area. However that is just my opinion. The place is still fairly new, and seems to be a popular spot on Weekends, so hopefully they'll continue to improve and stay in business.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

“Ok grill but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for dinner . I had the chicken which was cold . Came at the same time as the soup . The server brought the wrong drinks , and was spread very very thin. Hence very poor service .

Had been here 2 years ago and it was very good but not anymore .

I would no longer recommend this place to eat .

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“New Hooters in Newport News Toby Kieths Country Bar”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Very Poorly Run 2-1/2 Hour Wait for 2 people No Couple Tables Not enough chairs, and the Food was Very Over Priced

2 Thank jprcars
Hampton, Virginia
“will never return to this resturant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This review is for my mother's experience: My friend and I were looking for a new place to have lunch this past Saturday afternoon. We selected Toby Keith's as neither of had been there before. We were greeted by a very scantily clad waitress. We both found this distasteful as we did not want to see a nearly naked young woman while we had lunch. As for the service, it was ok. The food was really terrible. I had the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn on the cob. The breading was falling off the steak which I removed. The steak was so tough and stringy that it was difficult to cut and chew. It had a bad flavor and I would not have given my dog a taste. The potatoes were cold as was the gravy. The corn on the cob tasted like it had been soaking in water for several days. I don't understand the dress code as it appears this restaurant is marketed to families. The place was nearly empty this afternoon except for an elderly couple and a family with a child who looked to be 7. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

2 Thank ucstefi
Newark, Delaware
“Loved Everything About This Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We decided to stop in because they allow kids and my mother loves Toby Keith. They were also able to quickly (especially for a Saturday night) seat a group of 8. The hostess and waitstaff were great - friendly, realistic about the wait time, responsive and accurate about who ordered what. Noise level for a bar/restaurant combo was average but sound much better managed than usual due to the nice distance between tables. The waitress was very helpful and patient and was able to easily provide us with separate bills as we requested after the fact. The food was hot, delicious and really large portions. There are some nice additions to the menu, such as se=weet potatoe tots and great sounding desserts we were too full to try. We had a great time and this establishment helped us have a memorable family get-together. Having a place to eat and visit, too, when you've been apart and have lots of catching up to do is really important to us.
The only surprise that was a negative to us was that the lights were dimmed at 8PM and it was hard for some of us to see. Another surprise was that after 8PM the self serve bathroom suddenly have attendants and you can do it yourself as the soap has been removed from the dispensers. There is a basket for money obviously placed by the soap and towels the attendant hands out. I know attendants are normal is upper level establishments but most that switch leave the soap and towels in and don't park carts in from on the hand dryers so that you can take care of it yourself if you choose.
We are eager to go back!

1 Thank janetlorraine