“nice business dinner”

Ranked #91 of 460 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Pearl 703 offers the Hampton Roads area flare and casual elegance with contemporary variations of Asian, Creole, and French cuisine. With an emphasis on farm to table initiative and organic, local and fresh ingredients sourced as much as possible from local farms as well as our own private farm.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Dined with a vendor (3 reps) and a colleague last evening. The five of us started with drinks in the bar. Nice space, extensive wine list with a little of everything by the glass or bottle. Glad to see a decent glass of wine available for $8. We were quickly seat and provided a menu, specials, including the local fish catch were highlighted. Salads were served quickly but not rushed, I ordered mine with pate. It was fresh and flavorful. Our drinks were never empty, but the service was not intrusive. Considering the restaurant is French, our portions for both salad and entree were more towards the American side. Not a bad thing on a cold night to ahve a little more to enjoy than expected. We all ordered something different, duck, salmon, tenderloin and short ribs. Very little was left behind on anyone's plate. We had not room for desert, but they sounded fantastic. Instead we ended the night with one of the best coffees I have had in Newport News. A great period at the end of a lovely meal.

3  Thank Breezy_in_Virginia
There are newer reviews for Pearl 703

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Tripadvisor never lets me down. Once again, I find a top notch restaurant when I am traveling. I hail from Charleston S.C., home of fabulous restaurants and Pearl belongs right there with them. We met Chef Korkmaz and If I lived in one of those tony houses on Museum drive, I would just move him and his server Regina right in with me. We had the crabcake, escargots, grouper and the lamb. It was magnificent. Even this fabulous light lemon mouse creation and cream brulee for desert. Everything was fresh, fabulous and if this place were in Charleston, we would be here every week. It was Monday night and the diners were in there, you probably better call ahead for Friday or Saturday night! Full bar, fine wines, smiles, outstanding service. What more can I say? We stayed at the Marriot and I think of those poor conference attendees eating at one of the chain restaurants and not taking advantage of this jewel. I like to review restaurants and since we will be staying in Richmond tomorrow night decided to check out the listings there. Well, some donut shop is the top restaurant??? You people just go to Newport News and go to the Pearl French Bistro it is worth the drive for you.

3  Thank tinalovesthekeys
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I picked this restaurant based on other reviews that I had seen - and was very impressed with the quality of the food. The surprised part is the fact that we were nearly the only ones in the restaurant. We did have dinner early, since we had a show to go to later, but I was still surprised that almost no one was there at 6pm. My wife and I went with another couple, and we split an escargot, and crab stuffed crepe appetizers, which were excellent, and the only criticism would be I could have used more of them. For dinner I had the lamb chops, my wife the pheasant in puff pastry, and our friends had the fish (grouper) and steak. Portion sizes were good, and each of us absolutely cleaned our plates and I would rate the food among the top 5 that I have had anywhere in Hampton Roads. Our service was excellent, but than again, we were almost the only customers there on a Saturday night! The restaurant itself, to include tables, chairs and décor was a bit less impressive, nothing bad, but just rather ordinary. As an added bonus they had very reasonable restaurant prices for bottles of wine - we actually got a bottle for the table that was only about $8 more than we can find it in the stores (conundrum). Overall I really enjoyed this restaurant and would hate to see it closed due to lack of customer support - so plan a date night and go enjoy some excellent food.

2  Thank Rick P
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was my third visit to Pearl, first for dinner, and by myself. Scouting it out an hour before I planned to eat, I was greeted by Rob, the sous-chef, who asked my preferences. When I mentioned vegetarian, he asked if I'd like vegan - yes! So an hour later, I arrived to be treated like royalty. Shawn waited on me with careful attention, offered me tastings of two different wines for choosing. Rob previewed his meal plan for me, and then I was treated to fresh multi-grain bread with two flavored oils and a delicious fig balsamic vinegar. After a delightful small salad, I was served a medley of vegetables from asparagus to zucchini and much in between, on a bed of rice and red quinoa. All the vegetables were cooked perfectly -- tiny slices of bell peppers and carrots tender but crunchy. Rob had matched my spice level to a medium-hot flavoring, with a side of sliced avocado to cut the heat. Afterwards, I enjoyed a cappuccino and a perfect small scoop of chocolate sorbet. Rarely have I felt well cared for in a restaurant. I haven't eaten this sumptuously since my last trip to France. What a memorable dinner - can't wait for my visit!

1  Thank ArtTrekker
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We are repeat customers of this excellent restaurant, but wanted to take another couple who had not yet experienced true FINE DINING! We were so fortunate that the restaurant was not busy and the chef suggested that he do a "tasting menu" just for us. This was a dinner that no one will ever forget!!! From appetizers to dessert, each dish was absolutely fabulous. We were each served something different for each course so there was a lot of sharing going on - great fun!! We can't wait for the next celebration of anything to come here again!

2  Thank Nonnie6