“Fabulous!”
Review of Fin Seafood

Fin Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Fin Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 513 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Fin features the finest local ingredients while utilizing organic and sustainable produce and proteins whenever possible. Chef Kenny Sloane has perfected the use of these seasonal ingredients to complement his refined yet robust menu.
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Our party of four had a wonderful dinner here a few nights ago. Service was impeccable, and all of the food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Starters included oysters on the half shell, sweet corn soup with jumbo lump crab meat, and an asparagus soup with lobster meat that was a special of the day. Entrées included seared scallops, flounder and butter poached crab, macadamia nut crusted salmon, and two soft-shell crabs that were a special of the day. All came with interesting and delicious accompaniments. Nice wine list, and the server made great recommendations and allowed us to taste before committing to buying a whole glass. There were also two different desserts ordered - crème brulee and a decadent flourless chocolate cake with other chocolate delicacies on the plate - a chocolate lover's dream. A great fine dining experience! Oh, and for those who don't like seafood, don't stay away from this place. They have plenty of non-seafood options, and the duck entrée that we saw passing our table en route to its destination looked wonderful. There was a fairly good sized crowd at the bar when we arrived, but not to worry. The large bar room is completely closed off from the dining room, so there was no noise from the bar to interfere with our dinner, and the acoustics in this place were simply perfect (as was everything else).

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The wine queen and I joined an aunt and two other family members for a mid day dinner at Fin. We arrived on time, and our table was waiting for us. The hostess was most helpful as we had a wheelchair to deal with.

The place was smaller than I expected. The menu was bigger than I expected. The prices were in line with what I expected, perhaps even a bit less for some of the lunch fare combo's. I expected a problem finding parking, but no problem. And there is more around the corner just a short walk away. The neighborhood seems serene. There is a large park across the street. This place would be excellent for special occasions or business meals. I'd probably be less inclined to show up solo.

We started with libations, and the choices were reasonably priced, and we approved of the selection. Several of us had a salad or a cup of she-crab bisque. It was excellent.

My main course was salmon. It was the second course of a $15 lunch menu. They also had a $25 selection, but I failed to see $10 worth of difference in the two. My salmon was cooked perfectly. Most importantly, not overcooked. Everyone enjoyed their entre'. My cousin had the breakfast burrito. It was huge, and he said that it was very tasty. That may have been aided by his request for them to add some sausage in the recipe, which they did gladly apparently. I have no idea what they charged for the add-on.

My lunch came with a choice of one of four desserts. I chose the no-flour chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream Don't expect a lot of dessert after the first two courses. But it was quite tasty.

Our waiter was not always there when we wanted him. But in all fairness, we were a bit slow when we first arrived, and told him we needed to take our time ... so he probably figured we'd not mind too much ...and truthfully, we did not mind but so much. All in all, several of the staff seemed to pitch in to help him a couple of times.

We'd dine there again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

The quality of food has lost its luster. This used to be a great little place to eat, but in recent times, the food is just blah. To be quiet honest, I would pass on this one as much as I like seafood and go to VB.

1  Thank nubianredz
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I was looking for a restaurant to enjoy a special lunch with our niece before a 2pm show at the Ferguson Center. We allowed plenty of time as Fin did not sound like a dine and dash setup and it wasn't. We made reservations through OpenTable and enjoyed an hour long lunch. Service was very good with Robert as our waiter who was polite, friendly and knowledgable about the menu and wine/beer. My niece and I had the three course lunch and both enjoyed the she crab soup with actual crab in it (something I find surprisingly rare at a lot of "seafood" restaurants). My husband had the fish tacos which he could barely finish because of a generous portion. My niece enjoyed the fish & chips and I was delighted with the fish special with orzo/spinach and goat cheese mornay sauce. With the filling soup, the three courses were a bit too much for lunch but just couldn't resist all the flavors!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was the last one in my family to try this restaurant. Everyone raved about the seafood. So I checked it on on a weeknight during NPN restaurant week. The She crab soup was excellent. A little different spin on this area classic of which I have tried about half a dozen variations. The soup was creamy, not-too-thick-not too-thin, with plenty of shredded crab meat. My wife had the scallops which were tender and in a nice truffle sauce. I had the crab over grilled flounder. The fish was fair, the crab was plentiful, and both became very nice when combined the the sauce edging the plate perimeter. The service was nice, but the atmosphere was more like a college bistro than an upscale restaurant. In retrospect (if we go back) I would request a small table in the adjoining bar area, because it was much quieter in there than in the dining room. We were seated next to a "girls' night out table" that was obviously working their way through the wine list. Consequentially they were loud and kept going back and forth between tables surrounding us in the cacophony. The small, but completely open, dining area does nothing but enable the resonance. The waiter did assist with turning down the background music that the group was competing with (and winning), however this just made the offenders more evident. Anyway, we finished off with a very nice dessert to remind us that the food was why we were there. Might try it again in warmer weather for outside dining where' outside voices' would be less noticeable. All in all, very good food, maybe an 8.0-8.5 out of 10.