“Very nice change of pace for Newport News” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fin Seafood

Fin Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Fin Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 453 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Fin features the finest local ingredients while utilizing organic and sustainable produce and proteins whenever possible. Chef Kenny Sloane has perfected the use of these seasonal ingredients to complement his refined yet robust menu.
Virginia, USA
“Very nice change of pace for Newport News”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have been to Fin many, many times but failed to write a review. This is not a typical restaurant or bar for Newport News, very trendy and a unique menu. Make sure that you allocate some time if you plan for lunch or dinner, service here is not fast food nor should it be. The wine list is diverse, strong selections by glass and bottle. This time I went for lunch with associates, so no wine but there are good soft drink and tea options. The lunch menu is very fairly priced for the portion and quality, $14 for fresh salmon and sides is fantastic considering some of the chains have frozen fish for $10. Service was prompt and professional. This is a nice relaxing option for drinks or a meal and I will certainly recommend and return.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Breezy_in_Virginia

KDH
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Place in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have to say, Fin is a diamond in the rough! A lil off the beaten path, it is tucked back in the Port Warwick area of NN. My girlfriend and I had a great time. We were warmly welcomed and seated promptly. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and helped me pick a nice bottle of wine. The food was INCREDIBLE. The chef sent us an "amuse-bouche" (sample tasting). We tried the Oysters and Foie Gras for apps.The Pork Belly with the oysters was really good and the Foie Gras tasted like a bacon-buttery flavored HEAVEN!!! Our entrees were just as great. My girlfriend had the Scallops, which were perfectly cooked, and I had the best Beef Tenderloin I have ever tasted. We skipped desert and opted for cocktails at the bar instead. The Bar was elegant and fun. The bartender was attentive and made special drinks, just for us! We will definitely be back!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Anthony P
Hampton
“My lunch was cold”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

First things first. Fin is lovely, beautifully maintained, and in a great location. A group I am in met there for lunch at Christmas. First problem: the woman who had made reservations for us ordered two trays of appetizers, for which she prepaid. They forgot to serve them. When we asked for them, they denied she had ordered them. She produced her receipt, and they finally produced the appetizers. In fairness, they were tasty, but really, should we have had to ask for them like that?

I ordered she crab soup and a salad. The presentation was lovely, but second problem: although the soup was good, it was just above room temperature. I tried to catch the waitress to send it back, but she had disappeared from the room. I waited, but she did not make another appearance for a while, and I finally just ate it cold. The salad was fine, but to me, it seemed a little scant. We did not order dessert.

I am not saying I would never go there again, but really, when I go to an upscale restaurant, I expect to receive excellent service and hot food. I did not get it at Fin.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Upscale, pleasant experience. My BF and I have made a couple visits to this restaurant and both times were VERY pleased. The res”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

My BF and I have made a couple visits to this restaurant and both times were VERY pleased. The restaurant is VERY clean with a very warm and inviting atmosphere. The food is splendid with a marvelous presentation. A great place for a romantic dinner.

1 Thank massagechic
Newport News, Virginia
“Drinks and appetizers at the bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have had lunch several times at Fin and wanted to try the bar for appetizers and drinks. The atmosphere is nice in the bar. There are not too many grown-up places to go in Newport News, so we had been wanting to check this out as a possible "date night" place. There are not too many beers on tap to choose from, but the ones they have are decent. The bartender was very accommodating and let us sample the beers to help decide. The firecracker shrimp is really good- better than Bonefish's bang bang shrimp. The rare tuna app was pretty good, though not as good as Bonefish's. The lump crab dip is very good. Overall, good night out.

• Visited December 2012